VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Driveway survival for the super-low - any tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 04:43 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always tried to figure out how slammed cars go in driveways that steep. I've tried it a few times while Im rolling slammed, and to go in, I have to angle like crazy, going in, and going out. I can only do this if there isnt anyone else in the driveway though.

Here is another issue that may arise. Imagine if you visit someones elses house, or if you go to a restaurant/place, and the driveway is steep
Old 01-20-11, 05:55 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Here is another issue that may arise. Imagine if you visit someones elses house, or if you go to a restaurant/place, and the driveway is steep
For other folks that could definitely be an issue. For us, the track car is not street legal or insured and only drives out of the driveway into the trailer.

Unfortunately the trailer is too big (22 ft) to line up and pull in the driveway to load directly.
Old 01-24-11, 06:24 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a 2x10x8 cut it in 1/2 and put a 45 degree cut on one end of each piece. I need these to get in to my storage unit and to get the Jack under my car. Just make sure they are long enough that they don t get rolled up bettween the tire and body of the car like I ve seen happen before
Old 01-24-11, 07:04 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EN_VY
I have always tried to figure out how slammed cars go in driveways that steep. I've tried it a few times while Im rolling slammed, and to go in, I have to angle like crazy, going in, and going out. I can only do this if there isnt anyone else in the driveway though.

Or a speed bump.
Old 01-28-11, 03:07 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a driveway thats about 3x as bad and the key to pulling in without scraping is quite simple.

Depending on the side you are pulling in (always forward, reverse only works in some cases, you are more liekly to pull things off as it is putting reverse pressure)

You want to have the front Right or Left wheel (whatever side is closest to the obstruction) on the incline, at about a 45* angle to the curb so that when you start moving the right or left wheel will lift the car up to clear the frame, but you want a small enough angle so that the opposite front wheel can then hit the bump next to continue lifting the car so at ALL times, the front wheels are lifting the car, the angle helps with the rear wheels with coming in contact with the obstruction so that the front lifts, then the rear lifts quite soon after the front is about to come off.

Do NOT go too severe of an angle because then the center part of the frame will become stuck on the obstruction you are overcoming.

This has worked on every car that is less than 3" off the ground from subframe/oil pan.

Man hole covers, bridges, drastically steep pavement changes are not included and are unavoidable at highway speeds though,
Old 01-31-11, 09:10 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I usually go into my driveway at a ridiculous angle, but I still scrape most of the time. I've considering get a body kit, but my driveway would destroy it.

I can't wait until I get my own house with a flat driveway or build my own house.