Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

stock 17" Potenzas

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-01, 07:44 AM
chowder
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at 19K mi. Almost all miles are highway driving (straight and fast). Tire rotation has been disciplined. Problem is that my tires have nearly worn bald on the insides, but tread depth elsewhere is good. Alignment has been checked twice; it's within spec.
Question 1:
Has anyone else experienced this kind of uneven wear? Is this the nature of wider tires? It's progressed to the point that the ride is rather "lumpy" now, probably from the chop or plow that is creating this inside-wear. I understand that this tire wears fast...but this uneven across the tread?
Question 2:
I've gotten my alignment checked at the dealer and double-checked at my mechanic. I have always been suspicious of the toe/camber. Who do you guys trust to do your alignments?
Question 3:
Got to get a new set of tires. I hope to avoid this problem with the next set. In the all-season category, I think there's some concurrence on the Dunlop SP5000. What about in the "summer-tire" category? I have another car that I drive in the snow. High treadwear rating and handling characteristics are most important to me (comfort/noise take a back seat). Suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-01, 10:41 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb common problem

check with your dealer. some might even replace a set for you. they are still the OE potnzas, but a new set. quite a few gs owners encounter same problem.

for tire choice, if you have heard of similar problem with sp5000(i only herad good things), consider the bridgestone re730. yes, they are still bridgestones, but the re730s is one of the best rated tires among tire rack customers.
Old 03-12-01, 07:37 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

19k from the OEM Bridgestone's is a lot more than I got. I gave up at 15k and, as I've said on this board before, I couldn't wait to get rid of them. I just think it's a poor tire. It wore unevenly, tracked every crack in the road, and had no road feel.

My current tires are Michelin Pilot's. Love 'em. Couldn't believe how much better my GS400 drove after I put them on. Good traction in wet and dry, great road feel (as much as possible with all the isolation the GS delivers) and it looks like I'm going to get 30k from them.

No question which way I'd go.

Marty
Old 03-13-01, 07:59 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Ditto. Awesome tires. I've got 23K on mine and I'll certainly hit thirty.

Originally posted by RealMarty
19k from the OEM Bridgestone's is a lot more than I got. I gave up at 15k and, as I've said on this board before, I couldn't wait to get rid of them. I just think it's a poor tire. It wore unevenly, tracked every crack in the road, and had no road feel.

My current tires are Michelin Pilot's. Love 'em. Couldn't believe how much better my GS400 drove after I put them on. Good traction in wet and dry, great road feel (as much as possible with all the isolation the GS delivers) and it looks like I'm going to get 30k from them.

No question which way I'd go.

Marty
Old 03-13-01, 09:38 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

If you want the best price/performance in the "Z" rated class, look no further than NITTO NT555 EXTREME!
Old 03-13-01, 07:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
If you want the best price/performance in the "Z" rated class, look no further than NITTO NT555 EXTREME!
Tremendous grip, but surprising amount of sidewall flex.

Plus, one of mine has a flat spot so I can't get it balanced smooth.