Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

mounting issue with PS2??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 09:03 PM
DJC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mounting issue with PS2??

Background info....'01 GS4, BBS RGR staggered 18x8f/18x9r. Rims are straight, no bends car drives straight as an arrow, alignment as close to spec as Ltuned springs will alllow. Never had a problem with mounting P-Zero Nero M&S or Yoko AVSDB2.

Has anyone experienced mounting issues with Michelin PS2? Specifically, with the new tire being out of round to the point where you can see it lopsided on the rim?

This may be an isolated case, but here is my story....I recently purchased four new PS2's. I'm running 275/35/18 rear which seem to be fine, and 245/40/18 front where the problem is. Both front tires are lopsided on the rim where about one third to one half of the tire sits lower or deeper in the rim than the other half. I know it sounds weird, but try to visalize about one third to one half of the tire sticking out further to one side if you where looking at it from the face of the rim. Kind of like when you where a kid and over inflated your bicycle tire.

Needless to say this causes major steering wheel shake. I took the car back to NTB and stayed with the techs as they dismounted and mounted another brand new pair of PS2's in case the first pair were bad. Same situation, both tires are out of round. For comparison sake we also mounted a Yoko AVS100 and it seated correctly the first time and spun true with no high spot. Well the manager comes over and says the PS2's must initially be inflated to 100psi to "seat" them correctly and this will even them out on the bead along the rim edge. After trying that, they did even out somewhat but not to the point where I am satisfied, especially after spending that kind of cake. After driving home I still have very slight steering wheel shake and the 'butt-o-meter" not as smooth as with my Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S.

I'm looking for any feedback/tips/tricks including contacting Michelin North America to get these mounted correctly. If these wil not work on my rims I will try the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or go back to Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S. Or maybe try Toyo T1R that seems to have received positive feedback in this forum. NTB told me they have a 30day ride guarantee so hopefully they will work with me. Thanks in advance for all feedback.

Cheers,
DJC