IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Already chipped the rim, damn Los Angeles street !!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-14, 03:01 AM
ProDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Already chipped the rim, damn Los Angeles street !!! HELP

Hi guys, just had the 350F for about 20 days and went over a freaking LA pot hole today. dented and chipped my rime also pierced the tire wall on the meaty part, thank god I did not pop the tire but it seem very close to.
any other cars I drove I had no problem but it seem IS had pretty low pro tires dealing with LA street condition. Does anyone out there knows where I can refinish the rim or fix it ? and also should I use higher profile tires ? never had to fix a chipped rim so had no idea how much it usually cost. I do know the front tire spec is 225/40R 88Y that's what it said on tire.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-14-14, 09:10 AM
brxtn
Driver School Candidate

This might sound stupid, but did you by the tire and rim insurance from Lexus?
You might be able to purchase it still, seeing you dont even have a month with it. Total cost is about$1.2K ($600 tire and $600 rims), but definitely worth it
Old 03-14-14, 09:19 AM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch. Look up shops that do rim repair. Those guys can do wonders and make it look good again.
Old 03-14-14, 09:31 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Repair the rim, if it's not to your liking, then buy a new one and sell the old one (or keep for spare), I'm guessing you won't lose as much this way.
Old 03-14-14, 09:49 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by brxtn
This might sound stupid, but did you by the tire and rim insurance from Lexus?
You might be able to purchase it still, seeing you dont even have a month with it. Total cost is about$1.2K ($600 tire and $600 rims), but definitely worth it
Just my opinion but I don't think 1200 is "definitely worth it." Your auto insurance comprehensive should cover this - usually actual cash value.

Bill G
Old 03-14-14, 01:34 PM
brxtn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Just my opinion but I don't think 1200 is "definitely worth it." Your auto insurance comprehensive should cover this - usually actual cash value.

Bill G
I guess if you don't mind paying the deductible and then a higher premium for a simple repair.

I misquoted my coverage, $600 is for both rim and tires the other $600 is for excess wear and tear on the car up to $8K.
Most deductibles are $500 so paying $600 for unlimited rim and tire repairs is worth it "to me" at least.
Old 03-14-14, 04:12 PM
Kevin350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post pics?
Old 03-14-14, 11:12 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by brxtn
I guess if you don't mind paying the deductible and then a higher premium for a simple repair.

I misquoted my coverage, $600 is for both rim and tires the other $600 is for excess wear and tear on the car up to $8K.
Most deductibles are $500 so paying $600 for unlimited rim and tire repairs is worth it "to me" at least.
That sounds a little better. But still, comprehensive is the cheap part of car insurance and in most cases is actual cash value - no deductible involved. I'm not sure if this is covered, but it would only take ProDriver a few minutes to check it out.

I'm not a big fan of the extra coverages the finance folks try to push when you're signing the contract - but if it gives you peace of mind, that works too.

Bill G
Old 03-15-14, 12:17 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

save your money!! google son rim repair. intact...here is the yelp link. he is AMAZING. He fixed my super chipped rims on 2012 stock f-sport IS a week before i turned it in. He restored the chips and the color match was uncanny. trust me...you will thank him a million times. and he's so affordable. i want to say i paid $50 per rim? something like that.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/onsite-wheel...-westminster-3
Old 03-15-14, 02:25 AM
ProDriver
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the help, spend about 1 hour searching for rim repair in Los Angeles area and found a shop call "Affordable wheel repair". most likely 50 bucks will be done in same day that I can just wait there.
no pic yet but the rim had about a dime size dent from the lip, structure wise its good and nothing out of shape. according to their yelp review they did really good job for cheap and many pictures to see their work. so FYI for you guys in Los Angeles if you need it too. I'm going there once I have a day off asap. Thanks guys
Old 03-15-14, 06:03 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by r0shiro
save your money!! google son rim repair. intact...here is the yelp link. he is AMAZING. He fixed my super chipped rims on 2012 stock f-sport IS a week before i turned it in. He restored the chips and the color match was uncanny. trust me...you will thank him a million times. and he's so affordable. i want to say i paid $50 per rim? something like that.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/onsite-wheel...-westminster-3
Good lead Richie. Thank you. 158 reviews & 5 stars -- now that's peace of mind.
Old 03-15-14, 04:42 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ProDriver
Thanks guys for the help, spend about 1 hour searching for rim repair in Los Angeles area and found a shop call "Affordable wheel repair". most likely 50 bucks will be done in same day that I can just wait there.
no pic yet but the rim had about a dime size dent from the lip, structure wise its good and nothing out of shape. according to their yelp review they did really good job for cheap and many pictures to see their work. so FYI for you guys in Los Angeles if you need it too. I'm going there once I have a day off asap. Thanks guys
seriously...go to the lead i posted. he is crazy good.

Originally Posted by Glashub
Good lead Richie. Thank you. 158 reviews & 5 stars -- now that's peace of mind.
yea he's excellent.
Old 03-16-14, 03:54 AM
ProDriver
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by r0shiro
seriously...go to the lead i posted. he is crazy good.

yea he's excellent.
It is very far tho.....the one I found they are very good too.