Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Kumho vs Toyo

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-04, 07:45 PM
tonytony
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kumho vs Toyo

Hi all,

I started looking at new 16s for my ride since this thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=130770) told me I needed new tires =).
Well, after much research and thought, I think I narrowed it down to between two sets. I actually looked deep into 6 total, which were Yokohoma Avid H4S, Dunlop SP Sport A2, Goodyear Eagle GT-HR, Bridgestone Turanza LS H/V and my finalists....

1) Kumho Ecsta HP4 716

2) Toyo Proxes TPT

From what I can find, these two are what I will be choosing from. Does anybody have experience with riding both of these and which of the two they prefer?

In researching these, the good things about the Toyos are that they are V rated, which match my OE tires, great in rain and great dry handle. However, some users have expressed concern about it over deep snow and ice, in addition that over 10K miles things that use to be great about the wheel have deterioated to the point where it was a problem and needed change. (Most information gathered from reading almost ALL the reviews off 1010tires.com)

The Kumho on the other hand EVEYBODY and their moms rave about, basically, these can do no wrong, especially at the price point they are offered (Most information gathered from reading all the reviews off trierack.com). The things I guess that goes against it is that these are only H rated, and some members on this board or the LOC has called this set a waste of time =).

The pricing difference between the two will probably be between 80 - 100 dollars out the door (mounted, balanced, and aligned). I know pricing should be the last thing to consider when finding rubber, but it does figure into the equation.

So what do you all think?
Old 08-31-04, 09:55 PM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

Im no tire expert, but i dont think you can go wrong with either tire.

I had Kumho Escta on my car for 2 years, and just replaced them yesterday with Toyo Proxes 4, which is a newer model in the Toyo lineup.

Ive driven with the new tires about 50 miles so far and they seem pretty good so far.

I bought them at a local STS for $129 per tire installed with a $50 gas card/rebate.

Definately give the Proxes 4 a look.......................
Old 09-01-04, 06:49 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You can read my posts on here (do a search in the tire & ES forums) or www.lexusownersclub.com (same user name) as I praise the Toyo Proxes TPT up & down. Other members have them & have taken my advice to purchase them for their car. 7 people at my work have them from my advice & everyone has been extremely happy with their performance. I had them on for last winter on my 01 ES & they were fantastic in the snow, slush & icy conditions. They are 'all season' however......not snow & ice tires so one has to use common sense & decide if it's that bad out (let's say a freezing rain storm) do I need to go that badly? They have above average traction over your average 'all season' tire & the 'V' rating is awesome. I'd seriously consider them for your car. What car is it for & what size do you need?? I had the Yoko H4S on my short list mind you but Lexus recommends that my ES have a 'V' speed rating & the TPT was a no brainer.
Old 09-01-04, 09:34 AM
tonytony
Driver

LexusFreak, you and Lexusk8 are AVID supporters of the Toyo, Toyo should send you guys commission =).

And yup, all those comments from both sites, ingrained in my head. I was leaning towards the Kumho because of the price, but the H rating gave me pause. I was kinda worried about the Toyos performance in snow/ice, but like you said, common sense should prevail.

I don't believe the Proxes 4 have my size, 205/60/16 for a 2000 ES300.
Old 09-01-04, 09:54 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Although I don't have any practical experience, I hear Kumho is not as reliable of a tire as Toyo, Michelin, Bridgestone, etc. Combine Kumho with bigger wheels, and then you have a more shortened lifespan of the tires Kumho is attractive though because of its price, for one reason.

Toyo Proxes 4 is rated as ultra-high all-season performance, whereas the Proxes TPT is all-season performance. Since you live here in the Northeast (with the troubling winters and all), you may want to re-think the Proxes TPT as perhaps a more feasible purchase than the Proxes 4 in the long run
Old 09-01-04, 10:47 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Thanks Tony, perhaps you should send Toyo a letter suggesting at least a discount on our next set of Toyo's Although Doug, you make a pretty good point about the Proxes 4's.....however, as you state, they are an 'ultra high performance all season tire' butI have heard some folks (including at some of the tire shops that stock the Proxes 4 & TPT) that beleive it or not the Proxes 4's are not all that hot in the snowy conditions compared to the TPT's.......rain performance is very good however for both. Due to the nature of the ES (more on the luxury side vs. the sport performance ride) I'd stick with the TPT's myself.....as I knew the 4's were coming to market when I purchased the TPT's & had the option to wait a month or so for them, but they were not really a good match for the type of car the ES is so I took the advice of my tire shop & I'm happy that I did.

Tony, you are correct, (I wasen't sure what year your ES was) it's the same size as mine & lexusk8 which are 205 60 16 in the 'V' speed rating. You won't be disappointed......would I purchase them again on my ES? YOU BET! Don't forget to get a 4 wheel alignment when you get them installed & mention that good word to Toyo for Doug & I.
Old 09-01-04, 10:57 AM
tonytony
Driver

Alright guys, totally convinced me =)

I have an appointment for next week, mount, balance and aligment, all for under 450. I think I got a good deal. At least this way, I have a good vantage point for comparison on Toyos when it comes time to purchase my 18s =).
Old 09-01-04, 11:05 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Let all of us know how you like them tony & any concerns with the tires, feel free to ask away! enjoy! Toyo's have a 60,000 mile warranty as well......not bad for a 'V' speed rated tire.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 09-01-04 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-01-04, 07:50 PM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dam

its an insult to toyo to even compare them to kumho tires
Old 09-01-04, 07:57 PM
tonytony
Driver

opps

Last edited by tonytony; 09-01-04 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-03-04, 06:05 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

lol blue!
Old 09-16-04, 08:06 AM
tonytony
Driver

Hi all,

I just want to provide an update on my new Toyo TPT tires =). Its only been a week and I'm thinking its too soon to do anything that is not biased on the fact that my old Michelins were pretty much dead and the Toyos are brand spanking new. I'm thinking i have to at least give it a month or two to get a real "feel" for these suckers.

As luck would have it, when I purchased my tires, there were a slight drizzle going on, not a downpour or anything, but enough for the road to be wet and limit driving speed. And since its gonna be close to a 2hour drive for me to the shop, I'm thinking it would be a great way for me to get a feel for the tires. On the way there, just real cautious because I know the michelins are on its last breath and i am never comfortable on slick roads.

On the way back is a different story, just crusing along, with radio off and everything to check tire noise. It was at the time, a perfect feeling. I didn't want to push it too hard because of the rain, and also because of the adviced breakin period for new tires. But I ended up going a bit too fast for my own good. (note to self, ES is floaty at high speeds in rain) In the end, good drive.

So far, my initial reactions on this set. Great handling, the old moves which produced a lot of sway on the car was less, still some sway, but not like before. Squealing is virtually gone, there is none, nada, zlich, zippo, goodbye..and good night to that. I'm driving as before and its just feels better now. As for the bad right now, the only real thing I'm noticing is the road noise, it seems to be more of it and I'm definiltely feeling the road a little bit more than with the michelins. I don't know if I am complaining about it yet, as it really doesn't affect me that much because I always have music on. As for feeling the road, its only when I decide to "watch" for it that I am aware. I'm thinking passengers that never ridden in the Lex before *may* think its a bit much for a Lex, but we'll see about that. As for right now, people are saying there is a slight increase.

All in all, I am quite happy with my purchase. I'm just waiting for more experience with it to fully decided on how I feel. This will probably affect my decision also when I get my 18s, as the Pilots and TS1 are on the short list.

Oh...quick question, I'm not sure, but are the TPT a directional tire? I can't tell from the treads (actually from the treads, it looks uni-directional), but the store tells me that they are directional and when I do my rotation I can only do rights and lefts rather than criss-cross. Anybody know? Also they and Toyo HIGHLY recommends doing a rotation every 5k is this correct?

Thank you all for your help and recommendations.
Old 09-17-04, 09:42 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Glad you are enjoying your new Toyo's Tony The road noise is expected for the first while because they are brand new.....as you rack up several thousand miles, you should notice an improvement. To answer your other concern, YES they are in fact directional tires so it's just front to back & back to front.......no cris crossing at all. I usually rotate them every second oil change which works out to be roughly twice a year for the amount of driving that I do which is average. Get yourself a digital tire pressure gauge as well.....they are worth their weight in gold & very inexpensive. Good luck!