Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

thump thump after supra wheel install

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-04, 04:52 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thump thump after supra wheel install

I changed my wheels to standard MKIV Supra Turbo wheels on my SC300.

I noticed that when making slow turns, forwards or backwards, with the steering wheel turned either all the way to the left or right, or somewhat all the way, there is a "thump thump" noise that happens as the car moves. I was pulling into a parking space at a really slow rate of speed (maybe 1-2 mph), with the steering wheel turned almost all the way to the left, when I heard the "thump thump" noise from the front.

Does this mean the tire is rubbing against the wheelwell or something worse? The tire sizes are standard Supra tire sizes (235 front, I believe).

Thanks,
-Brian.
Old 01-09-04, 04:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah that sounds like the rubbing sound i got when i turn. find a place, do a full hard lock, stop and get out of the car, and see if the side of the wheel is rubbing the wheel well
Old 01-12-04, 06:49 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Default Thump vs. Scrape

Hmm it is deffinately a rub. I'm wondering if the thump is an interior rub on the suspension or an exterior rub on the wheel well. Seems like the wheel well would be more of a scraping sound... Please let us know as it would be intertesting to distinguish between the 2. Especially for a guy who has to diagnose problems over the phone.
Old 01-12-04, 08:09 AM
fc3s7
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the tire is rubbing/hitting on something, take the tire off and have a look. Most times wherever the tire has rubbed will be shiny from the tire rubbing all the crud and dirt off.

I would wager it's hitting inside somewhere with the offset of the Supra wheels - they could stand to be spaced out a bit.

Dale
Old 01-12-04, 08:22 AM
octane103
Pole Position

Post ..

supra rims should not rub at all. i've got a set on my car w/ no fitment issues and my car is almost all the way down on tein HA's, however make sure you are using stock lug nuts or the wheels may loosen up a bit. causing a thumping noise.(i say from experience)
Old 01-12-04, 03:30 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Default Re: ..

Originally posted by octane103
supra rims should not rub at all. i've got a set on my car w/ no fitment issues and my car is almost all the way down on tein HA's, however make sure you are using stock lug nuts or the wheels may loosen up a bit. causing a thumping noise.(i say from experience)
By stock lug nuts, do you mean stock Supra lug nuts or the stock Lexus? I'm using the Lexus SC300 factory lugnuts.

-Brian.
Old 01-12-04, 04:34 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default wheel weights or bent wheel

My guesses are as follows (and in order):

1) If you have wheel weights from balancing that are on the inside of the wheel, they may be hitting a suspension component when you turn the wheel to the right and/or left lock position (I had this on my GS3 when my brother's factory GS400 17s were on the car temporarily).

2) One or both front wheels are bent. I had this problem years ago on my '85 Corolla GTS. The right front wheel was bent and would come into contact with the right strut on some hard right turns.

I hope in your case that the issue is caused by balancing weights, but both problems can be fixed.

Oh, the third possibility is that I am completely wrong.
Old 01-12-04, 09:31 PM
octane103
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: ..

Originally posted by MoogieBoogie
By stock lug nuts, do you mean stock Supra lug nuts or the stock Lexus? I'm using the Lexus SC300 factory lugnuts.

-Brian.

well.......i guess your using the right lug nuts. i think both the lexus and supra ones are the same. maybe link13 is correct about his guesses.
Old 02-23-04, 04:08 AM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Just an update.. well, not really an update.

I think it's a bad alignment. I know I have worn control arm bushings, so I'm guessing the alignment is out of spec. I should be changing out the control arms in the next few weeks.

Actually, while on the topic of control arms, would it be worth changing out the upper front control arms? I've heard the bushings on them do not wear as quickly as the lower front control arms. Also, when changing out the lower control arms, do the shock/springs come out? Should I just upgrade them while it's all out? About how many hours of labor am I looking to pay for?

The odd thing is, when it is turned all the way to the right or left, the thump noise is accompanied by the jumping of the car. The car actually seems to jump slightly and move.

If anyone else has any more input on this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks again!
-Brian.