Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Only One Way To Diagnose Bad Wheel Bearing???

Old 02-10-09, 06:38 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Only One Way To Diagnose Bad Wheel Bearing???

I know the trick of jacking the car up and shaking the wheel at 12 & 6 to check for play. Mine has none, but I have a constant "roaring" sound from my right rear wheel (or at least that is what it sounds like in the cabin). I know it is not tire related because I had a Toyo T1 275/30/20 and then a Yok S-Drive 275/30/20 on. Any other techniques before I drop $$$ on a new wheel bearing that may or may not be the problem

Symptoms:

constant roaring sound above 20 mph on up

no clicking or popping

When the car was on jacks, the wheel turned smoothly with no sound I could detect
Old 02-10-09, 07:50 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

u know you have a 275 tire on there, not really going to be "quiet" but just a thought. Try running a stock wheel/tire combo
Old 02-10-09, 07:59 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

If its the drive wheel you can elevate the rear (jack stands) and chuck the front wheels and then start the car. Just be sure to turn off the Traction Control. Put the car in drive and see if you can hear the noise. You may even need to use a Mechanics Stethoscope since the noise may be different or almost undetectable with no load on it.

The car does not not need to be super high off the ground. If you, or anyone else try this PLEASE BE SAFE. If you are unfamiliar with tools or this type of procedure either don't do it or get help from a experienced mechanic.

Last edited by Debonair; 02-10-09 at 08:03 AM. Reason: THIS IS DANGEROUS IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFULL - BE SAFE
Old 02-10-09, 10:05 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Take it for a drive. Park the car and smell it or feel the section where the bearing is and compare it to the sections that is good.
Old 02-10-09, 11:58 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

All good suggestions guys, thanks. I do not think it is the tire size because the noise is only present on the right side. I just got a call from the body shop that will be fixing damage that happened to my trunk. Since they will have the car for a week, I will probably put my stock wheels back on for peace of mind. If it still makes the noise with the stockers, then I will do the comparison check since it is easiest. If I still cannot tell, I will put it on stands and chuck the front wheels. I just hated to pay for a bearing and the time/money to get the old one out and new one pressed in if that was not the root cause.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 02-11-09, 10:01 AM
YOO
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same problem... please keep this thread updated.

thanks, brendon
Old 02-11-09, 08:30 PM
sjlexus408
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is what i do: jack the car up, spin the wheel, touch the spring, if you feel vibration on springs then its your wheel bearing...
Old 02-14-09, 01:20 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same issue but in the front. Constant roaring (causes a headache at 55mph)

Anyone know what part of the bearing i need to replace? I see a few parts listed in the parts catalog. Or does it come in an assembly type fashion?

Old 02-14-09, 10:08 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lowering your car puts stress on your barrings and spacers do as well, a simple test, i dont know if it works for our cars but jack up the car so the rim is off the floor then move it like your taking it off with the bolts on. vertical and horizontal. if it moves then your barings are going bad. either way. GL
Old 02-15-09, 12:02 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

^ agreed.

Jack up the car. Leave the wheels on. Put one hand at 12 o'clock and another at 6 o'clock. One hand push and the other hand pull. Rock back and fort. If it plays...your bearing is going bye bye.

You can hold the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock too. Same as what StanCe said.

As for the bearing...I've never done one for Lexus. It usually is one assembly not requiring lubrication ( some require lubrication so ask the dealer...do not mix the lube oil if you decide to add more to existing one). Taking off the bearing was discussed in another thread.

Last edited by sam430; 02-15-09 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-17-09, 07:03 PM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATE:

Put my stock 17's back on the car and have the exact same noise so I am sure it is a bad wheel bearing. I cannot imagine it being tire/wheel related going from 20" with 275's to 17" with 235's. I just got done fixing a bad wheel bearing on my 3000GT, but it came as a fully assembled hub. Looks like for the GS, I have to remove the rear hub and have a machine shop take out the old bearing and press in the new. At least I know what the problem is now (I hope)
Old 05-06-09, 10:28 PM
rnsand6kds
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any follow up such as successful fix, price, etc? Can anyone describe the "roaring" noise and mileage on your cars with the noise?

My left front is making a noise that sounds like a higher pitched humming sound. It fluctuates relative to speed, gets quieter with smoother/newer tar roads vs, concrete and always makes a slightly higher sound when you drive over cracks or bumps in the road.

This sound basically appeared after OEM shocks were replaced with new OEM shocks ... also outer tie rods and upper control arms. Same sound from two different sets of new tires and wheels (winter/summer). Sound only comes from the left front. No apparent problems from the brakepads or rotors.

Isn't life grand? My wife turns the key and she says "The car runs, everything's great." I turn the key and it's like "Huh, what's that sound? Was that something rattling? Is that a new vibration from something else falling out of spec? ETC." Sheesh.
Old 05-07-09, 12:50 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

You'll hear the same hum on any road condition. If you can listen carefully for that particular pitch/hum without it being masked by road condition and if the hum is constant...then it is likely the bearing.
Old 05-07-09, 03:17 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Easiest way to tell if it is a bearing is to drive the car then turn the wheel hard while moving and the noise will get louder when turned in that direction.
So if you are on the highway and turn it quickly to the left the the right wheel is loaded with weight and will make it get louder but the other way will not . If it is not changing in loudness then it may be something else .
Old 05-10-09, 12:35 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

i am unable to tell weather its from the rear of the vehicle, but face a similar hum. Its gets worse with the stock 17's (maybe because they are older? and have considerable more wear?).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Only One Way To Diagnose Bad Wheel Bearing???