Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Just lowered my gs300 awd

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 02:23 AM
dnam85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just lowered my gs300 awd

Hey guys,

After few weeks of consideration, I have finally lowered my car with Tanabe NF210.(19" Staggered) Definately looks a lot better than before.

However, as I heard lots of complaints and issues about vibration/wobbling, I am experiencing some of those problems. I think it's on and off. Vibration doesn't really bother me yet wobbling bothers me.

This is my first day driving after lowering and kind of worry now.

Will this vibration/wobbling will lead into any problems in the future? like parts will wear out quicker etc? Will this cause trasmission to go bad?

Also I was told that I should not put staggered on awd. Is that really gonna create problems in the future? if so, what kind of problems will I be facing?

After spending $$$ on rims and springs, I am more worried now.

Any comments?
Old 11-27-11, 09:04 PM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

staggered is fine as long as the diameter of all 4 tires are the same. if they aren't, your AWD system is going to wear out much quicker. specifically the differentials. use this link [http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp] to see if your front and rear tires are the same size.

as for lowering the car, you'll have the usual struts wearing out faster and tires might wear a bit faster but i don't think there will be any other issues caused by the wobble. maybe someone with more knowledge and/or experience can comment.
Old 11-28-11, 01:36 AM
dnam85
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gridlock13
staggered is fine as long as the diameter of all 4 tires are the same. if they aren't, your AWD system is going to wear out much quicker. specifically the differentials. use this link [http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp] to see if your front and rear tires are the same size.

as for lowering the car, you'll have the usual struts wearing out faster and tires might wear a bit faster but i don't think there will be any other issues caused by the wobble. maybe someone with more knowledge and/or experience can comment.
Thanks for your comment.

I have 19 x 8.5 +45(235 35 19) for the front, and 19 x 10 +45 (275 30 19). Fitment seems ok.

if it's only downside for putting staggered and lowering is wearing out quicker, I guess that's not that bad at all. I am so worried about the transmission going bad or something.
Old 11-28-11, 02:43 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats one of my worries with staggered fitment on an awd, they wont be da same exact size a lil nervous about doing but really want tnat staggered look
Old 11-28-11, 08:29 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dnam85
Thanks for your comment.

I have 19 x 8.5 +45(235 35 19) for the front, and 19 x 10 +45 (275 30 19). Fitment seems ok.

if it's only downside for putting staggered and lowering is wearing out quicker, I guess that's not that bad at all. I am so worried about the transmission going bad or something.
Lol.... it IS a part of the drivetrain that will still wear out.... Differentials(the big pumpkin in the rear) are expensive for our vehicles I bet.... Especially AWD editions.

As a generalization I'll add in a picture for you (please dont quote this as a lexus rear diff, it's off of a truck and just for reference)

Originally Posted by mr3gs300
Thats one of my worries with staggered fitment on an awd, they wont be da same exact size a lil nervous about doing but really want tnat staggered look
Well he did explain, that as long as you use the same diameter tires on all 4 wheels. Wear and tear will be the same as a normal situation .

P.S. I might add, that from reading about someone else's AWD, you probably will wear out the axles due to the stress you put on them from bending at an angle.... Axles cost a chunk of money too!
Old 11-29-11, 01:09 AM
dnam85
Driver School Candidate

I read lots of posts regarding staggered wheels.

My understanding is that as long as I have same diameter on wheels/tires it should be fine. So i am safe? I think it should be okay. It drives fine now but who knows, it might start to create some problems in the future.

Have you guys try using ect power button? I think for some reason, wobbling is less but it gives more vibration at stop.
Old 11-29-11, 01:30 PM
XxGoKoUxX

ECT Power.... the ONLY thing it does is hold your engine's RPM in power range, so you can take off a bit quicker if you stopped pressing on the gas I would assume it's all in your head, or just that the acceleration outweighs the feel of the vibrations.
Old 11-29-11, 02:01 PM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have 19x8.5's all around and i'm running 245/35 tires which are much closer to OEM spec. with a 19x10 rear wheel i see that a 285/30 is an exact match with a 245/35. just letting u know in case you're still deciding on tires. with the tire set up you have now the tires are just slightly off. the link i posted says your rear wheels will be turning at 60.2mph when ur front wheels are turning at 60mph.
Old 11-29-11, 02:44 PM
dnam85
Driver School Candidate

My tires are almost new so I don't want to change them now....If I really have to change my set up, I would rather buy new rims with same size all around/no staggered.

I feel a bit of vibration going more than 70mph eventhough I did alignment few days ago. So I am not sure if it's the problem of being staggered. Maybe i should re-balance my tires first.

I kind of want to go with 18" OEM GS430 wheels if I want to go back to stock ride. But love the looks of my car now lol
Old 11-30-11, 12:18 AM
XxGoKoUxX

lol, by all means keep it buddy

just be sure to wait a week, get your balance first and then alignment.

BTW: why do you have "single" under your profile for location?
Old 11-30-11, 01:10 AM
dnam85
Driver School Candidate

yeah I will just keep it for awhile.

I did alignment already so I will just wait and see for now before rebalancing my tires.

As for the location, I didn't really pay attention to it. Now I changed it. thanks man.
Old 12-18-11, 08:40 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't understand why you did it if you knew it would happen and can't live with the symptoms. :P I would go absolutely insane if my car drove ****ty just for something aesthetic.