Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover for softies

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-17, 07:46 AM
Tetsumon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover for softies

When I was driving yesterday, it felt like the car was bouncy, and come to think of it the rear tires seemed to be worn strangely. I thought the shocks may have gone bad, so I started window shopping suspensions.
I'm not into racing (yet) but I do think my car looks kinda lanky at the moment so i'd like to lower my ride some, and I like comfort, so I looked into entry level coilovers with progressive springs

H&R Street and TruHart Basic caught my eye, but I had a couple questions in mind
1. for $1000/$400 respectively, do they come in sets of 4 for all my wheels, or are they only sets of two?
2. as mentioned earlier, I like comfort so I was also thinking of just changing out stock springs for H&R Sport, which would come off way cheaper upfront, but on the long run (5-7 years, possibly multiple cars) could coilovers be better?

if the shocks are actually fine I'll just save this thread for future reference, but either way it's something I'll have to confront in the near future. all responses welcome!
Old 01-03-17, 10:55 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The Truhart coilovers do not have dampening adjustment while the H&R do. That is the primary difference.
1-855-998-8726
Old 01-05-17, 04:36 AM
Tetsumon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JM Auto Racing
The Truhart coilovers do not have dampening adjustment while the H&R do. That is the primary difference.
since I'm no racer, I suppose I won't really be utilizing the dampening feature very much. Do you know if Truharts are on the stiffer side or softer?
I also noticed Truhart seems to be aimed towards Hondas, but that won't be too much of an issue, right?
Old 01-05-17, 05:01 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Truhart's first presence was in the Honda Market however has quickly spread to have an even larger presence in the subaru and Lexus community.
If dampening is not a concern for you, I wouldn't spend the money on the H&R. Truharts tend to be more stiff because they don't have dampening adjustments.
1-855-998-8726
Old 02-04-17, 03:56 PM
3actual
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had TruHart lowering springs with short stroke struts on a 9th Gen Accord and they were complete crap. The lowering springs started to collapse after a month or so and slowly got worse. After six months I ended up swapping them out to Tein coilovers. About 2 to 3 others out of 5 that I knew had TruHart parts had issues. I'll never use there stuff again.
Old 02-05-17, 06:03 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

I have Tein and cannot say enough good things. They tend to be pricey.

BC Racing coil overs are popular are as Stance.

Megan Racing come up a lot.

Have not read or seen much on the TruHart in this forum on SCs. H&R are rare mentions.

Comes down to the type of ride and look you are going for and what your budget can handle.....
Old 04-28-18, 08:24 AM
VVTIJZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

TEIN is always a great choice. I was surprised at the feel of them on the street. They felt really planted and very compliant for the street and maybe some track when ever you're ready. Personally, I love Fortune Auto Coilovers. You can ask for the spring rates and valving you desire. If you're all street and want to mimick the factory suspension but with a more sure footing feeling, go with them. Hand assembled in the USA.