Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowering an inch be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-16, 09:19 AM
2006GeeEss
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering an inch be?

before I buy my rims and tires, I am putting new struts and mounts on my front end this week, if my plan is to get new rims and tires soon, should I get lowering springs now? I am not by any means knowledgable of this process, but I like the factory 10 spoke tourmaline(sp) rims 18 inch. So I know there will be a gap and to be on the cautious side, should I get the springs installed with the struts and mounts before I get the rims and tires and if so, what are some recommended springs to use? is there anything I should know before taking on this process. I am not a big for show guy, I just like a simple clean look, no big deal. I have a 2001 gs300.

Thank you in advance for any and all responses.
Old 05-01-16, 11:51 AM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

My car was lowered an inch before I bought it, I absolutely love it. I wouldn't want it any higher like stock, but I dont think I'd want it too much lower, maybe another half to one inch at the most. I have Eibach lowering springs on stock shocks and have never failed. I did have to buy a low profile jack for it, but the height seems proper for how the factory should have set up these cars.

Last edited by GS400V8; 05-01-16 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-01-16, 12:04 PM
2006GeeEss
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS400V8
My car was lowered an inch before I bought it, I absolutely love it. I wouldn't want it any higher like stock, but I dont think I'd want it too much lower, maybe another half to one inch at the most. I have Eibach lowering springs on stock shocks and have never failed. I did have to buy a low profile jack for it, but the height seems proper for how the factory should have set up these cars.

so I should go ahead and lower them when I get the struts installed u think? the springs are bought separately from the struts if I am correct and u suggest Eibach? thanks my guy. searching now.
Old 05-01-16, 01:00 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah I think its worth it. It will throw off your rear sway bar geometry a little bit, but I have more info on that if you need it. It's not a huge problem, but I ended up correcting that with ISF end links.

Yes unless you buy ready-mounts with springs already installed on the struts. I've never installed springs but a local shop will put lowering springs on all four corners for around 280 with tax included, so it's probably not too bad to do.

Eibach lowering springs are 260 shipped on Ebay, which is what I have on there.

Alot of people either go this route or coil overs. Honestly, I bought my car lowered, so my money went towards sways, and performance things like headers/intake/exhaust. If my car wasnt lowered when I bought it I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Eibachs.

No problem brother! You can let me know if you have anymore questions.

Last edited by GS400V8; 05-01-16 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-01-16, 08:15 PM
2006GeeEss
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS400V8
Yeah I think its worth it. It will throw off your rear sway bar geometry a little bit, but I have more info on that if you need it. It's not a huge problem, but I ended up correcting that with ISF end links.

Yes unless you buy ready-mounts with springs already installed on the struts. I've never installed springs but a local shop will put lowering springs on all four corners for around 280 with tax included, so it's probably not too bad to do.

Eibach lowering springs are 260 shipped on Ebay, which is what I have on there.

Alot of people either go this route or coil overs. Honestly, I bought my car lowered, so my money went towards sways, and performance things like headers/intake/exhaust. If my car wasnt lowered when I bought it I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Eibachs.

No problem brother! You can let me know if you have anymore questions.

appreciated greatly. I think I will have the struts put on now( I have a leak on the drivers side front strut). I have the kyb struts. once I get my boots put on I will see just how bad the gap is, then get the springs. just bought baby girl her sweet 16 car so I am back to dad mode. these mods can get a bit pricey but its worth it.
Old 05-08-16, 08:12 AM
azndriver
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of springs you could always go with a 30 mm RCA (like megan racing)

that will drop your car about an 1 inch without changing into a lowering spring.

But if you are looking for a subtle drop another spring to look into is Tein H.Tech
Old 05-09-16, 10:21 AM
2006GeeEss
Rookie

Originally Posted by azndriver

that will drop your car about an 1 inch without changing into a lowering spring.

But if you are looking for a subtle drop another spring to look into is Tein H.Tech

what is a 30mm RCA exactly? forgive for my lack of knowledge on this. my guy is doing the work this week. I have my struts and mounts. just want to get all of this done at once.
Old 05-09-16, 08:48 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

It's a spacer that lifts the knuckle from the lower balljoint and control arm, lowering the car. It also corrects the control arm angle on a lowered car for better handling, hence the name "roll center adjuster".

I would recommend the Tanabe DF210 as a lowering spring. It improves handling without being harsh and lowers the car enough to improve the appearance without scraping on things. It lowers the front by 2.0" and the rear by 1.5". If that's too much, the NF210 is softer and lowers the car by only 1.5" in the front and 1.0" in the rear.
Old 05-09-16, 09:27 PM
2006GeeEss
Rookie

Originally Posted by firelizard
It's a spacer that lifts the knuckle from the lower balljoint and control arm, lowering the car. It also corrects the control arm angle on a lowered car for better handling, hence the name "roll center adjuster".

I would recommend the Tanabe DF210 as a lowering spring. It improves handling without being harsh and lowers the car enough to improve the appearance without scraping on things. It lowers the front by 2.0" and the rear by 1.5". If that's too much, the NF210 is softer and lowers the car by only 1.5" in the front and 1.0" in the rear.
Ok. I keep seeing the tanabe is highly recommended. If I am seeing this correctly, a set of four is roughly 300 bucks. Thanks my guy
Old 05-12-16, 09:22 AM
joebor1776
Rookie

Originally Posted by azndriver

Forgive my ignorance here, but I'm running factory springs, and I'd like to reduce the fender gap (have 18" wheels). From what you are saying, it sounds like I can install RCAs without needing lowering springs or coilovers. Do you need RCAs on front and rear? Any disadvantage to doing this, such as reduced stability? I don't expect to gain any stiffer handling from stock, but I don't want any REDUCED handling... thanks!

Nevermind, I found this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-lowering.html

Last edited by joebor1776; 05-12-16 at 09:31 AM. Reason: forgot to search first!