Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

2014 IS 350 F-sport AWD suspension upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-22, 03:33 PM
Lexbefree
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2014 IS 350 F-sport AWD suspension upgrade questions

Forgive me if this is frowned upon but I wanted to make a thread to cover several suspension topics to get some information in one post. I have a 2014 IS 350 F-sport w/66K miles on it and its starting to ride a bit rough. I want to re-do (and upgrade) most of the suspension by this spring and wanted to start procuring items now. I have had bimmers and benz' over the last 10 years so I'm not nearly as knowledgeable on the Lexus' anymore.

1st question: When I search my Vin# it comes back as IS350 Base however it is clearly equipped with F-sport package. Is it possible this package was added after the initial build or are all IS350 from 2014 listed as "base" with trim/package options added? I'm asking because I am assuming when searching for shocks/springs/bushings I would search for "F-sport" trim option.

2nd question: What are some good options for shocks/springs that will be slightly more firm but still absorb everyday bumps and potholes fairly decent? In all my German cars I have always just swapped to either H&R or Eibach springs and Bilstein B6 shocks. I like the idea of the adjustable dampening of the F-sport however my preference for day to day driving is somewhere in between normal and sport+ modes. I don't care about throttle response and shift points as I drive in manual mode 90+% of the time and have the car tuned. From reading on here and other websites it seems like RS-R sport coilovers are potentially the best option that would give some height adjustability, maintain the F-sport dampening modes, and still be decent for everyday street driving. Any other suggestions and/or recommendations would be great. I could always go with factory shocks but they are on backorder and by the time I pay for all 4 it seems like I might as well fork out a little more $ for coilovers.

3rd question: This may be a bit subjective but what are common bushings that start to fail at 50K+ miles for these lexus' that should definitely be replaced if I'm going to dissect the suspension to replace shocks/springs? There are a few other components that I am not used to seeing so I thought I would invite some knowledge from the group. I was going to at least go with new sway bar bushings, control arm bushings and sway bar end links. Will possibly upgrade the upper and/or lower control arm itself. Also, what are good aftermarket upgrade brands for these items for the Lex?
Old 01-15-22, 12:28 PM
SonarSpeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm unaware of any shocks avaliable for the AWD 3IS and personally wouldn't really reccomend it as any Shock/spring combo out there if it exist or lowering springs won't solve the problem of the left side of the car being lower than right. A coilover system is better as you can corner balance the car correctly and a good coilover shouldn't ride like garbage. As for the third question, I would reccomend changing out toe arms too. They're known to be a little softer than wanted. If you're doing the #2 LCA bushing to fix the toe wear on front tires, I would also do the #1 bushing upgrade from figs as it helps the #2 bushing do it's job better by preventing slippage.

Last edited by SonarSpeed; 01-15-22 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-17-22, 08:38 AM
Lexbefree
9th Gear

Originally Posted by SonarSpeed
I'm unaware of any shocks avaliable for the AWD 3IS and personally wouldn't really reccomend it as any Shock/spring combo out there if it exist or lowering springs won't solve the problem of the left side of the car being lower than right. A coilover system is better as you can corner balance the car correctly and a good coilover shouldn't ride like garbage. As for the third question, I would reccomend changing out toe arms too. They're known to be a little softer than wanted. If you're doing the #2 LCA bushing to fix the toe wear on front tires, I would also do the #1 bushing upgrade from figs as it helps the #2 bushing do it's job better by preventing slippage.

Thanks for the input. Makes sense about the shocks as I have not been able to find any aftermarket ones. I think I will just get the RSR sport coilovers. Appreciate the advise on the toe arms, that is the exact type of info I'm trying to get. I will add those to my list!
Old 01-18-22, 05:28 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I have the RSR sport coilover and I can say the ride great. Only thing about the car the rear divorce setup. To adjust the rear you have to keep taking apart the suspension to adjust so it take more time then a tradition setup. But if you don't want the rear squat look cause that how AWD sit when lowered or stock. I say coilover to even it out.
Old 02-02-22, 11:56 AM
Lexbefree
9th Gear

Originally Posted by laobo979
I have the RSR sport coilover and I can say the ride great. Only thing about the car the rear divorce setup. To adjust the rear you have to keep taking apart the suspension to adjust so it take more time then a tradition setup. But if you don't want the rear squat look cause that how AWD sit when lowered or stock. I say coilover to even it out.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been crazy busy at work the past few week. How to do the sport coils do in average city street conditions, not super bouncy or rough I take it? Right now with my stock suspension I feel every little bump, crevice, etc. on the roads, even the little white reflectors between lanes I feel. Car also seems to slightly jump around on some bumps and rough roads instead of just going straight. I suspect several bushings are in rough shape combined with shocks that are pretty worn.

Do you still retain the F-sport adjustable dampening with the RSR sports?
Old 03-22-22, 03:50 PM
Lexbefree
9th Gear

Update:

Finally got around to getting everything (or most) ordered for the suspension. Car has continued to ride harder, sloppier, etc. so I suspect a multitude of worn shocks, bushings, etc. Looking forward to bringing some life back into her and enjoying some... shall we say spirited driving

Now on to researching install tips for everything and convincing the wife I need to take a break one weekend from re-doing my flooring to work on the car.

Ordered so far:

1.) RSR Basic-i active coils: I went back and forth deciding on the basics or sports but ultimately wanted to retain the AVS function of the F-sport. Planning on lowering about 0.5 - 0.8" and running some 19s at some point in the near future to try and close the gap.
2.) RCF LCA Bushings: Decided on these over the Figs or RR racing because this car is my daily driver and didn't want too rough/firm of a ride.
3.) Mevotech supreme sway bar links (front and rear): Hard decision over the Moogs but have read a lot about Moog quality going downhill, with the exception of their ball joints, while Mevotech has been going up. In reality only time will tell I suppose.
4.) Moog front sway bar bushings
5.) Mevotech Supreme rear sways
6.) Mevotech Supreme control arms: Rear Upper Rearward; lateral arm w/ ball
7.) Moog Ball joints

Still contemplating tie rod ends and strut tower brace..
Old 03-23-22, 07:31 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexbefree
Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been crazy busy at work the past few week. How to do the sport coils do in average city street conditions, not super bouncy or rough I take it? Right now with my stock suspension I feel every little bump, crevice, etc. on the roads, even the little white reflectors between lanes I feel. Car also seems to slightly jump around on some bumps and rough roads instead of just going straight. I suspect several bushings are in rough shape combined with shocks that are pretty worn.

Do you still retain the F-sport adjustable dampening with the RSR sports?
To me the sport ride great. Here in the Northeast we do deal with pot holes. But i say they ride better than stock suspension. I also ultra racing rear subframe brace to help with the rear end. So with those to suspension mods i feel body roll been improved.