Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-Sport Shocks ONLY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 10:51 AM
ocbc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Sport Shocks ONLY?

My wife has a new 2009 IS250. I want to firm up the general handling characteristics so it is more fun for me to drive. She drives ALOT around Los Angeles and I do not want to make the ride much harsher.
I am definitely doing the F-sport Sway bars. But the question comes to the shocks. Would the F-sport shocks alone with the stock 250 springs be any noticable improvement? I am not a suspension guru, so I turn to those that may know!

Thanks

Last edited by ocbc; 01-19-09 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 03:29 PM
kayotik
Lead Lap

You may be better off getting the sport package springs and shocks.. they -might- be cheaper than the f-sport shock setup
Old 01-19-09, 03:48 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kayotik
You may be better off getting the sport package springs and shocks.. they -might- be cheaper than the f-sport shock setup
I doubt it. They are probably the same if not more. Especially with Sewell prices.
Old 01-19-09, 04:05 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course you will notice a difference, be it, a small difference.

Will it be significant? marginal.

You will notice a big difference with your new f-sport sway bars.
Old 01-19-09, 04:36 PM
ocbc
Rookie

Well, I found a set for a decent price used. I figure it cant hurt! I will combine it with the F-sport sways.
Old 01-20-09, 12:13 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

why not install lowering springs while your at it? doesnt have to be the FSport. I would if I where you since you will have to take this all apart or pay someone to do it, its no more work to install the springs at the same time I would be more curious how the car rides with an aftermarket spring with these shocks.
Old 01-20-09, 01:44 PM
ocbc
Rookie

Originally Posted by passnu2
why not install lowering springs while your at it? doesnt have to be the FSport. I would if I where you since you will have to take this all apart or pay someone to do it, its no more work to install the springs at the same time I would be more curious how the car rides with an aftermarket spring with these shocks.
If it was my daily driver, I would install the f-sport springs. However, this is the wifes and she doesnt want the ride to be any rougher than stock. I want to reduce body roll. So I figured the shocks with stock springs combined with the F-sport sways would do just this and keep the normal driving condition nice and smotth for the little lady. All the comments on the springs have been an increased feel of the road and a rougher ride. I am not sure if its enough of a change for the wife to feel.
Old 01-20-09, 02:12 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I would suggest that you go the other way with this then, Get Springs only and leave your OEM shocks. I had the Tein S tech springs, big drop, but the ride was just the same as OEM with less body roll and it wasnt bouncing all over the place. I have a feature on the GS where I can firm the ride with the suspension alone and that makes a big difference with the car lowered. If I leave it on normal mode its nice and comfy, put it on sport mode you feel everything in the road. I think you would end up with the same ride and you cant adjust them once the are on. I have been in the FSport with both and the ride is good dont get me wrong but what you are saying you want I think you are going the wrong direction. I think a good set of springs will make you happy and you wont need the other F Sport items. Another thing is throw on 15mm spacers on the rear. With the lowering springs and this you will be in heaven

Edit:

read the OP's last post here on what he just did so you can see and read from someone that just did what I think you need to do. PM this member and ask. I dont think you need to put spacers on the fronts, other then for looks, for it to handle better. But the springs and the spacers he went with are perfect for this car IMO!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-the-shop.html

Last edited by passnu2; 01-20-09 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-20-09, 02:20 PM
ocbc
Rookie

Interesting.... I only know about suspention coming from ATV's. Doesnt the spring rate have more of a effect on the ride than the shock?

Heres another question: If I went with the F-sport shocks and springs. Is the ride quality a small enough change that wife may NOT notice it? I have search the forums for ride quality and I get answers truly all over the map from it is nicer than stock to you feel every little bump.
Old 01-20-09, 02:27 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

PM member VikH and he can tell you how my car drove with just the Tein S tech springs and he can tell you how his car rides with the Fsport Springs/Shocks. Tell him what you are looking for and I am sure he can shed some light for you.
Old 01-20-09, 02:48 PM
ocbc
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the fsport spring rates vs the stock springs and they start out slightly stiffer in front and slightly softer in the rear. Then the progressively get much stiffer. It would be nice to see a graph of the progressive rate to see how fast the spring rate climbs under load. Theoretically, the ride should be the same as stock under the initial load.........
Old 01-21-09, 02:02 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-handling.html

You guys are asking the same Q's