Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Creaking Suspension Noise from stop position or turning at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 07:17 PM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Creaking Suspension Noise from stop position or turning at low speeds

Recently I got this annoying noise coming from the front of my car. Can anyone help me diagnose the problem? Most are OEM Lexus parts except for the UCA and sway bar end links from Moog.

Here is a video I made:

2001 Lexus GS300
135K Currently

115K Changed:
Lower Ball Joints both sides
Outer Tie Rods
Steering Rack Bushing
LCA Bushings
Castor Arm Bushings
Sway Bar Bushing

130K Changed:
Moog UCA both sides

135K Changed:
Moog Sway Bar End Links
PS Fluid Flush
Caliper w Bracket replacement on both sides

I'm thinking it's the sway bar that probably needs grease, but not sure.

Thanks guys,
Johnny

Last edited by Agent$mith; 04-29-15 at 03:52 AM.
Old 04-28-15, 10:07 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

What about the ball joints?
Old 04-29-15, 03:51 AM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
What about the ball joints?
Ahh when I said LCA, I meant lower ball joints. I had them replaced 15K miles ago.

Old 04-29-15, 10:11 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your video doesn't help much, I can't hear it. When do you get the noise? Over bumps, when turning, etc.?
Old 04-29-15, 10:29 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what kind of lower ball joints? if they were the moogs with the grease fitting on there, you should have greased it before putting load on the joint.

just another note, i have seen some randomg lbj's that didnt have much grease in them right out of the box. when i say some i mean 2.

i also cant tell a thing from the video
Old 04-29-15, 07:42 PM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

I used Lexus OEM lower ball joints. I only used moog for the UCA and sway bar end links. Sorry about the short clip. It's literally the first sec of the video. It happens from stop to go and when turning without adding gas to pedal. :/
Old 04-30-15, 05:23 AM
marshun
Advanced

have you jacked up the car and looked?

still cant see/hear anything in the video? or is it that triple popping noise?
Old 04-30-15, 05:33 AM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

My mechanic had it on his lift as he sprayed lubricant. I wish I had a lift so I could check for myself whenever I wanted since it makes things easier.

Yep. It's within the 0-1 sec of the video as I accelerate from a stop marshun. It sounds like something is being compressed and then released like a creak. I'm thinking it's the strut boots or the sway bar bushings needing grease. I have l-tuned shocks and springs in which I used the original boots on recommendations from clublexus members.
Old 04-30-15, 06:20 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Agent$mith
I used Lexus OEM lower ball joints. I only used moog for the UCA and sway bar end links. Sorry about the short clip. It's literally the first sec of the video. It happens from stop to go and when turning without adding gas to pedal. :/
Is it the exact same sound when turning and from stop and go? I hear it now in your video.

I would have your inner tie rods checked, along with perhaps strut mounts, engine mounts, anything you haven't replaced yet. Your sound does not sound like sway bar bushings to me.
Old 04-30-15, 06:47 AM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

Yep the same sound turning and from stop and go either direction. Sounds like creak from something being compressed. I've been spending hours searching through club lexus and reading about the dreaded suspension noises we have and try to isolate.

I believed when he changed my sway bar end links where the boots were cracked, he said the inner tie rods looked fine. How would bad inner tie rods sound? I thought when it's engine mounts, you would hear vibrations when you are idle or shifting from Park to Reverse.

Strut mounts may be a good idea, but expensive to replace. Can I spray lithium grease on the strut mounts through the engine bay and see if that penetrates? You are right though Behemoth7. I've replaced everything but checked those 3 areas. :/ I hate throwing money hoping it fixes the problem when it doesn't.
Old 04-30-15, 07:11 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Agent$mith
Yep the same sound turning and from stop and go either direction. Sounds like creak from something being compressed. I've been spending hours searching through club lexus and reading about the dreaded suspension noises we have and try to isolate.

I believed when he changed my sway bar end links where the boots were cracked, he said the inner tie rods looked fine. How would bad inner tie rods sound? I thought when it's engine mounts, you would hear vibrations when you are idle or shifting from Park to Reverse.

Strut mounts may be a good idea, but expensive to replace. Can I spray lithium grease on the strut mounts through the engine bay and see if that penetrates? You are right though Behemoth7. I've replaced everything but checked those 3 areas. :/ I hate throwing money hoping it fixes the problem when it doesn't.
Bad tie rods would be clunky or squeeky when turning, and strut mounts can't be remedied by anything but replacing. Motor mounts can cause all sorts of issues, it depends if they leak fluid or are torn or worse broken in half. Could cause creaking, clunking, vibrations, rough idle.

I would just have all of them checked out.

Last edited by Behemoth7; 04-30-15 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-25-15, 11:30 AM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

Update: It turned out to the be the UCA on the driver side due to the rubber bushing being cracked from the previous installer.

Just wanted to help future forum searchers.
Old 05-26-15, 01:47 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Check your brake caliper brackets. For some strange reason the 2 bolts gets loose & allow the bracket to move & shift. Results is clunking & creaking noise. I took my bolts out & used lock washers & retighten. So far so good no clunking or creaking
Old 05-26-15, 07:42 PM
marshun
Advanced

wow. i wonder how he even cracked those bushings. crazy.