Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Questions about LS400 brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-15, 11:09 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about LS400 brake upgrade

I had a few questions about the ls400 brake upgrade. First, when buying them off ebay, is there anything I should look for when buying them used? Or should any OEM caliper do, is there a specific model year? Also, do I need anything other than the caliper to make them work with my gs430(Hoses, hardware, etc). Lastly, when I go to buy replacement parts for them(rotors, pads, hardware) I will buy ls400 parts and not gs430 parts correct?

I've never done any kind of conversion so sorry for my ignorance.
Old 04-06-15, 01:40 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

First thing, you should make sure they're fully operational and not seized or in need of a rebuild (depeding on price, if can get them cheap then a rebuild wouldn't be too much of a hassle). Model years are 1996-2000, however 1995 may also work, but I'm not 100% sure on that. You don't need new lines but it'd be a good idea to swap over to braided since you're taking everything apart anyway.

Just make sure you get the hardware as my brakes were driving me crazy because a lot of people don't mention everything that's needed. But, you'll need: calipers, rotors, pads, and caliper bolts (the GS bolts are too long) for the LS400, along with the shims and brake pad spacers... some aftermarket brake pads don't need the shims since they come "pre shimmed" from their respective factories, but I'd get a set just in case.
Old 04-06-15, 06:47 PM
Beaugs4
Driver School Candidate

You will also need an RCA spacer, minimum 10mm wheel spacer (If you have stock wheels), and you will need to trim the dust shield
Old 04-07-15, 08:18 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
First thing, you should make sure they're fully operational and not seized or in need of a rebuild (depeding on price, if can get them cheap then a rebuild wouldn't be too much of a hassle). Model years are 1996-2000, however 1995 may also work, but I'm not 100% sure on that. You don't need new lines but it'd be a good idea to swap over to braided since you're taking everything apart anyway.

Just make sure you get the hardware as my brakes were driving me crazy because a lot of people don't mention everything that's needed. But, you'll need: calipers, rotors, pads, and caliper bolts (the GS bolts are too long) for the LS400, along with the shims and brake pad spacers... some aftermarket brake pads don't need the shims since they come "pre shimmed" from their respective factories, but I'd get a set just in case.
I plan on getting a rotor and pad set with hardware included from rock auto. And are ls400 braided lines the same as gs430 lines? Also, should I just try to find a caliper set that includes the bolts or can they be purchased separately?
Originally Posted by Beaugs4
You will also need an RCA spacer, minimum 10mm wheel spacer (If you have stock wheels), and you will need to trim the dust shield
I plan on getting figs rca, I have 18" wheels that push the spokes out to the edge of the wheel and a +40 offset so I'll probably be okay, and I've heard you should buy the ls400 dust shield to replace the stock gs430 dust shield, is this accurate? I'd rather replace the dust shield then modify the stock one.

Also one more question, is this upgrade only for the front or is it for the rear as well? Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by Behemoth7; 04-07-15 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-07-15, 09:05 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Behemoth7
I plan on getting a rotor and pad set with hardware included from rock auto. And are ls400 braided lines the same as gs430 lines? Also, should I just try to find a caliper set that includes the bolts or can they be purchased separately?

I plan on getting figs rca, I have 18" wheels that push the spokes out to the edge of the wheel and a +40 offset so I'll probably be okay, and I've heard you should buy the ls400 dust shield to replace the stock gs430 dust shield, is this accurate? I'd rather replace the dust shield then modify the stock one.

Also one more question, is this upgrade only for the front or is it for the rear as well? Thanks for the help guys!
I'm not sure if they LS400 brake lines are the same or not, however the fitting that goes into the caliper is the same size. However, i'd just purchase 2GS brake lines since they're the correct length. As for finding calipers that include the bolts, it'd probably be easier to just purchase them separately as they're around $3-5/ea.

I forgot to mention that but yes, you'll need an RCA as well, I have the FIGS and everything fits just fine. As for needing spacers, the design of the wheel is what will dictate everything. My 3GS [winter] wheels fit just fine although I can't comment on their offset but I'd say somewhere in the high 30's/low-to-mid 40s. My old Varrstoen fit fine as well but they were 9.5 et12. Concerning the dust shield, I haven't heard anything about swapping to the LS400 shield and I cut mine, however when I swap my brakes I'm just going to remove them completely.

Finally, the upgrade is for the front only.
Old 04-07-15, 11:05 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
I'm not sure if they LS400 brake lines are the same or not, however the fitting that goes into the caliper is the same size. However, i'd just purchase 2GS brake lines since they're the correct length. As for finding calipers that include the bolts, it'd probably be easier to just purchase them separately as they're around $3-5/ea.

I forgot to mention that but yes, you'll need an RCA as well, I have the FIGS and everything fits just fine. As for needing spacers, the design of the wheel is what will dictate everything. My 3GS [winter] wheels fit just fine although I can't comment on their offset but I'd say somewhere in the high 30's/low-to-mid 40s. My old Varrstoen fit fine as well but they were 9.5 et12. Concerning the dust shield, I haven't heard anything about swapping to the LS400 shield and I cut mine, however when I swap my brakes I'm just going to remove them completely.

Finally, the upgrade is for the front only.
Thank you guys so much, you've been extremely helpful!

Just as a side note northstyle, do you know of any adverse effects from installing the front rca on stock suspension? I don't ever plan on lowering the car, and I know roughly half an inch isn't a big deal, but I thought I'd ask
Old 04-07-15, 11:15 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

I've had the FIGS RCA on my car for almost 3 years without any issues. Honestly, I forgot they were even there... lol
Old 04-07-15, 03:57 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ls4 lines are not the same. the gs lines have a deeper hole. if you look on the hard line you'll see that theres a slight extension on the threaded piece. gotta trim that off with a dremel. easiest way is to just have some custom lines made.

everything else has been mentioned already
Old 04-07-15, 03:58 PM
marshun
Advanced

forgot to add, if you get some cheap calipers that werent rebuilt, you should rebuild them since theyre off the car. it doesnt take long and its cheap.
Old 04-07-15, 06:19 PM
Beaugs4
Driver School Candidate

I dont see the need to replace the dust shield completely.. and I wouldnt remove it. The stock GS dust shield is designed to allow cool air to funnel into the rotor.. I only had to trim a small amount at the bottom i believe so that the LS4 caliper would fit without contact.
Old 04-08-15, 03:42 PM
marshun
Advanced

you'll have to trim it for sure though. i didnt remove mine. just trim