Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-15, 06:48 PM
chris621
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering

so I just got my silver is250 RWD manual with 90k miles and love the thing..so far i tinted the glass 20%, have a roof silver spoiler and rear windshield black spoiler. I blacked out the emblems and front grille to stay with the silver/black theme. also put yellow fog overlays and bulbs. waiting for March to put on the 18 oems I got that are gonna be powder coated gunmetal grey. I wanna lower this thing but just barely. yes I know coils are so much better blah blah but I don't want them. driveways so steep I can only drop an inch and a half..yes I know you can lower coils to this height but like I said no coil persuasion lol..SOO here's the real question, am i better off ordering some KYB shocks with h&r springs or should I just say screw it and put the H&Rs on the oems that I don't even know if they've been replaced. sorry for the long intro I just felt the need to list what I've done lol but any feedback is appreciated

Last edited by chris621; 02-18-15 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-18-15, 08:57 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Put the spring now. Then, when your stock shocks blow. Buy kyb or whatever and put the spring in your new kyb shocks
Old 02-18-15, 08:59 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome Chris. Sounds like you've been busy working on your new to you tide. Congrats. So to answer your question, yes you can use the springs with oem shocks. (My sister did it with her H&R's). it'll tide fine and I would say when you actually do need new shocks get some aftermarket ones. It'll save you some cash for now. Is this the optimum option? Not really but you'll be fine.
Old 02-18-15, 09:25 PM
pnwIS250
Driver School Candidate

im doing the same thing, lowering with h&r springs on stock struts..i dont need coils and i dont need to be slammed either. id just buy struts when you actually need them
Old 02-19-15, 08:17 AM
anish3232
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by chris621
so I just got my silver is250 RWD manual with 90k miles and love the thing..so far i tinted the glass 20%, have a roof silver spoiler and rear windshield black spoiler. I blacked out the emblems and front grille to stay with the silver/black theme. also put yellow fog overlays and bulbs. waiting for March to put on the 18 oems I got that are gonna be powder coated gunmetal grey. I wanna lower this thing but just barely. yes I know coils are so much better blah blah but I don't want them. driveways so steep I can only drop an inch and a half..yes I know you can lower coils to this height but like I said no coil persuasion lol..SOO here's the real question, am i better off ordering some KYB shocks with h&r springs or should I just say screw it and put the H&Rs on the oems that I don't even know if they've been replaced. sorry for the long intro I just felt the need to list what I've done lol but any feedback is appreciated

I have some brand new Tanabe's for sale in the Classified section
Old 02-19-15, 09:18 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I currently have H&R springs on OEM shocks... you'll be fine... but you will need to replace the shocks sooner than later and if you keep the springs then upgrade as mentioned earlier. I ran KYB-GR2 shocks and H&R springs on my GS and it was a great combo. I'd give the Tokico shocks a good look for this platform though. I had a set ready for my IS350 but ended up selling them because I'm going with coilovers soon.
Old 02-19-15, 02:35 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chris621
IMO I would do both unless your mileage is fairly low. My car was around 110,000kms (about 70k miles) when I put in my H&R springs. It did not take long before the ride got a bit rougher and the rear end started to feel like it was floating over bumps. It would have saved me a lot of hassle to do both at once.

I ended up just going with coilovers instead of shocks, with the Megan EZ Street at such a low price, it's hard not to.
Old 02-19-15, 04:28 PM
chris621
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by getafewliv
IMO I would do both unless your mileage is fairly low. My car was around 110,000kms (about 70k miles) when I put in my H&R springs. It did not take long before the ride got a bit rougher and the rear end started to feel like it was floating over bumps. It would have saved me a lot of hassle to do both at once.

I ended up just going with coilovers instead of shocks, with the Megan EZ Street at such a low price, it's hard not to.
yeah the Megan's are at such a low price I've been looking at those also but still am leaning towards the springs ..do you have any issues with them because I've read that a couple people had some clunking noises.
Old 02-21-15, 11:46 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Some people don't even think of coilovers because they say they don't want to be slammed or need the adjustment... the fact of the matter is, at least the adjustment is there!! (coilovers don't imply "slamming", you can ride at whatever height YOU want).

The problem with lowering springs is you're stuck with the stiffness/ ride quality and height it comes with... some might say that its ok, but when you install coilovers, at least you can set them to your preference instead of settling for the out-of-the-box spring ride. Coilovers may be a bit more cost-wise up front, but in the end, you will end up paying the same for springs and shocks.

Also, coils come with a "spring" and shock assembly as one "single" piece, so one wouldn't need to worry about mixing and matching oem/aftermarket springs and shocks and replacing shocks etc.... sure coilover parts may need refurbishing after lots of mileage, but so does every other suspension system!

I just ordered a set of BC coilovers and I'm beyond excited.
Am I slamming? no.
Am I going to adjust every week? no.
But the fact is, the flexibility actually exists.
(If you're on a budget, there are some great reviews on the very comparable megan EZ coilovers)

Just by $0.02

Last edited by Nixcision; 02-21-15 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-22-15, 07:04 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^^
Solid points
Old 02-22-15, 09:22 AM
LP817
Driver

Hey Nixcision, nice to see you finally got some awd coilovers.
Old 02-22-15, 09:27 AM
chris621
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys I gotta think about this before I just pull the trigger on anything
Old 02-22-15, 11:38 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
^^^^
Solid points
Originally Posted by LP817
Hey Nixcision, nice to see you finally got some awd coilovers.
Thanks!
And yes I finally ordered some haha. I too had 101 questions about lowering, but this forum helped out a ton!