Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake calipers moving while braking

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-14, 06:51 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake calipers moving while braking

Hello, I recently noticed that my brake calipers would move about a half inch when the brake would be apply semi hard. It's as if the whole hub carrier was twisting upon braking forces. I was told it was LCA but when I did the test where you tug on the bottom of the wheel, it didn't budge, my bushings seemed to be still okay. Mind you this is a 1998 SC300 with 163k+ miles. Would it be likely that the UCA have gone bad too? I know the LCA are prone to failure so at this point I'm sure it'd be wise to just replace them. Anyone have a recommendation also as to where to get new Supra LCA? Hopefully that'd solve my problem. But idk, thoughts?
Old 12-18-14, 07:56 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be hard to get play from a loose LCA if your ball joint is still tight. I wouldn't rely on this test to tell me the LCA is good or not. I'd try prying around on the various joints with a pry bar trying to find play if it were me. With that kind of mileage I wouldn't be surprised if there was play in multiple bushings contributing to what you are describing.
Old 12-18-14, 11:59 AM
moretoys
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
Might be hard to get play from a loose LCA if your ball joint is still tight. I wouldn't rely on this test to tell me the LCA is good or not. I'd try prying around on the various joints with a pry bar trying to find play if it were me. With that kind of mileage I wouldn't be surprised if there was play in multiple bushings contributing to what you are describing.
I agree, however would add:
Do the above pry bar testing with weight on the suspension (not drooped) as drooped can hide looseness. Jack it up, put ramps under the wheels, drop it on ramps, then go to it.
Old 12-19-14, 04:12 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the same feeling with my 400. when I braked while backing up it felt like the calipers moving. Had the LCAs replaced and no more problems. If you do replace them try to go Supras. Cost abour half