Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What is the BEST, CLEAREST DIY for Ls400 BBK installation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-14, 08:14 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question What is the BEST, CLEAREST DIY for Ls400 BBK installation?

Hi,
I purchased a rebuilt set of Ls400 calipers. I don't have a dedicated Sc400 expert mechanic in NYC but I can find decent general mechanics. For non-standard Sc jobs I usually find a great DIY (usually from the experts here), print it out and hand it to the general mechanic.
I am about to do the BBK and I want it to be perfect. What is the best, most clear and concise DIY for the installation of the Ls400 BBK?

PS: If you have suggestions on good, inexpensive drilled, slotted rotors, please post them too. I have read many threads from the past and now I am even more confused about selection. I am not worried about durability at the edges of performance, I will never track this car, I shamelessly just want the look.

Thank You!
Old 05-17-14, 09:24 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My DIY. And I just bought slotted rotors from eBay. It does the job fine. Been a year or so.
Old 05-17-14, 10:13 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was a straight forward install. I don't even think I needed longer bolts. I did need to trim the dust shield a little, though.
Old 05-17-14, 03:07 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thanks Guys!
Old 05-18-14, 03:06 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

look in my projectthread, i have done pictures from the DIY, but my wheels don´t fit, to less offset but good pictures for DIY and informations

touch me for the thread
Old 05-19-14, 07:16 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Boergy
look in my projectthread, i have done pictures from the DIY, but my wheels don´t fit, to less offset but good pictures for DIY and informations

touch me for the thread
Thank You Boergy!
Old 05-19-14, 09:14 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

its super simple no mechanic should have any problems with it once you give them the info.
only things that are not a simple unbolt and bolt back on are
1. modify or remove (simpler) the brake dust shield.
2. you need a pair of those shorter LS bolts generally speaking, or grind down the SC bolt some. I just got a pair of LS bolts from lexus to be complete I don't like to grind on critical bolts I feel it can make them weaker. Ordering 2 new bolts in advance is the best way to go about it.

the stock brake line can be reused, but the little aligning nipple won't align its at a different angle on the LS and must be positioned out of the way. The brake line will still bolt down and function just fine. this is not a big deal most aftermarket lines do not have the aligning nipple anyways, its a factory thing. IF you want to run Stainless brake lines though, now would be the best time to install them.
Old 05-19-14, 11:07 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I followed other write-ups on CL to install my TT brakes. You will need to look at the 95 Supra TSRM online (MKIV.com??) for torque specs which are essential.

The most difficult part is the dust shields. Buy a set of new TT dust shields if you can. You need a Dremel to notch off the factory shields from the hubs and then you will need to notch the TT dust shields just a bit to slip them on before bolting them in place.

I didn't like how my set of wrenches was grabbing my factory brake lines so I let a shop do those but switching to Goodridge steel lines is recommended.

^^ I wasn't aware of the bolt length difference but I may have ordered TT specific 17mm caliper bolts for my TT calipers. I can't remember but I probably did. I'd go with Ali's recommendation and order the LS400 caliper bolts if you can just to be certain they are the correct length.

Overall, it's not that difficult. I did the whole front brake swap with my roommate in our garage over a morning and afternoon, taking our sweet time.
Old 05-20-14, 09:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Not sure about the supra brakes specifically but when I put on the ls400 calipers one of the stock SC bolts was too long on each side. technically all 4 are too long, but 2 of them (1 on each side) have extra space in the back for the extra bolt length so its not a problem, but the other 2 (1 on each side) there is no spare room back there because you are then making contact with something can't remember, maybe the hub? either way the ticket is to get (2) of the shorter bolts. Its pretty minor but saves a trip to the store or dealer or taking out the grinder.
Old 05-20-14, 02:38 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Not sure about the supra brakes specifically but when I put on the ls400 calipers one of the stock SC bolts was too long on each side. technically all 4 are too long, but 2 of them (1 on each side) have extra space in the back for the extra bolt length so its not a problem, but the other 2 (1 on each side) there is no spare room back there because you are then making contact with something can't remember, maybe the hub? either way the ticket is to get (2) of the shorter bolts. Its pretty minor but saves a trip to the store or dealer or taking out the grinder.
Willdo Ali, thanks!
PS: I don't have the Supra brakes, I have the LS400. I hope my wheels will clear them!
Old 05-22-14, 08:19 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

best mod ever, I like Kahn's thoroughness as always regarding replacing the dust shileds with TT units.
I never even thought of that, I took the stock ones off and they went in the garbage. didn't replace them and I don;t really see dust building up on the rims. with some creative dremeling you may even be able to keep the stock ones.
Old 05-22-14, 08:50 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

THANKS! Kahn and Ali!!!