Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tom's Rear Lower Suspension Brace: Anybody With Experience on These?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-03, 03:22 PM
Big Silver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tom's Rear Lower Suspension Brace: Anybody With Experience on These?

Anybody with these installed? I was thinking about getting them as I have some questions about helping out with yaw control and initial turn out of the rear suspension.

Everybody gets excited about the GS upgraded suspension, and to be sure mine is much better than stock but slightly objectionable under load for me.

I have Front Strut Tower Brace, TRD sways, L-tuned ECU & struts and springs, Tom's Rear Lower chassis brace, and 18x8 245/35 wheel and tire combo.
Old 01-26-03, 02:01 AM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Default Do you mean the 6pc kit?

If you mean the 6 pc kit, I was pleased with it. Following the majority of the forums contributors would have led me to install the LCB first, but I wanted to lose the resonators on the exhaust to go with the full box version.

It was noticably stiffer, but I would also say a tad heavier. Since I am not an expert, maybe exxagerated. I was trying to eliminate the rear end 'walking' when cornering. It did help.

Added the sways next, now I want LSD before the LCB. My skid control lights come on much more frequently when accelarating and turning from a stop.

Anyway, I would say get the 6 pc kit too.
Old 01-26-03, 02:04 AM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Default And one more thing.

Just noticed you don't have the rear STB. You will probably appreciate this more first to 'box' your rear end to increase your turnin feel.

Last edited by nudderGS400; 01-26-03 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-26-03, 03:10 PM
Big Silver
Driver School Candidate

Yes, good point, and I probably should go through search, but does anybody have a picture? I put one (rear STB) on my Taurus SHO and was sad losing a bit of room in there.

I also put one in a front driver (Honda Civic sedan) which is admittedly a very different platform and actually had handling to DETERIORATE!

I guess that if I have popped for nearly the whole package otherwise, that I may go for the STB if space loss is not too dramatic.I think that I like to keep getting new toys every now and then, and may still keep the GS but perhaps get one of the new EVO 8 Mitsus...
Old 01-26-03, 03:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,317 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Originally posted by Big Silver
Yes, good point, and I probably should go through search, but does anybody have a picture? I put one (rear STB) on my Taurus SHO and was sad losing a bit of room in there.
Yes, you probably should go through search as these pics are VERY easy to find .

Manaray's STB writeup

Dex's

The search I used was "rear stb install" keyword, GS forum.

I have the Tom's rear STB on my GS and it doesn't get in the way much. Still have a medium-sized sub box underneath the back deck, too.

Comparing the Tom's six link to the rear STB, IMO I'd recommend the six-link first. Felt like that made a bigger differnce by firming up the entire car vs just the rear.
Old 01-26-03, 07:21 PM
Big Silver
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I did a search and the rear STB would make it very difficult to put a bike in the trunk which is prob the most I demand from it spacewise so maybe the 6 link would be best...