Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need opinions on Megans durability or go with something else.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-13, 07:33 PM
kevwats01
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions on Megans durability or go with something else.

Kinda of rethinking whether going with Megan's (Ez's or Lp's) due to the frequent heavy clucking threads I've seen plus not to mention the numerous re-selling threads in the member vendors page.
Kinda of concerned about the durability factor. Prefer to invest a little more than to end up doing the job twice.
I really want to drop it about 2inches for the summer I need opinions, Its a 99 Lexus Gs400 for
NY turf, so comfort is an issue.
Old 03-22-13, 05:21 PM
x83slider
Driver School Candidate

The megans won't be ok for you. They do wear out very fast and really won't do a good job soaking up the NY roads
Old 03-23-13, 03:40 AM
bDang
Driver School Candidate

The EZs ride good for me, and I would consider my car pretty low. I would prefer to put in stiffer springs, but its cutting it for me. Ride quality is fine, and I'm not getting noises from it, but it's got less than 8k miles on them.

If you have the money, I'd definitely recommend saving up a bit more and getting BC coilovers. Quality i've seen and ridden on BC is far better than megan, and you can choose custom spring rates to begin with. People say theyre all the same from taiwanese factories, but all my friends get great service from BC for any services they need + warranties.

Edit: ^^x83slider is right about the megans not being fit for NY roads. Mine are okay, but I drive on some pretty decent roads here in California. I imagine NY would tear the coils up and bottom out from all the potholes
Old 03-24-13, 09:00 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm on Megan LP coilovers in my 2001 GS430.

I don't think I would recommend them for the following reasons:

a.) There are countless posts (not just Lexus forums but several other car forums too) of people complaining about clunking and popping with these coilovers.

b.) My coilovers are currently making a popcorn popping type noise coming from the back when going over bumps. Replacing the upper top hats didn't help so I am thinking it's either the lower mount or the shock cartridge itself.

c.) I haven't been thrilled with their customer service at all.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably pay a little more and get BCs.

Luke
Old 03-25-13, 07:41 AM
kevwats01
Driver

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
I'm on Megan LP coilovers in my 2001 GS430.

I don't think I would recommend them for the following reasons:

a.) There are countless posts (not just Lexus forums but several other car forums too) of people complaining about clunking and popping with these coilovers.

b.) My coilovers are currently making a popcorn popping type noise coming from the back when going over bumps. Replacing the upper top hats didn't help so I am thinking it's either the lower mount or the shock cartridge itself.

c.) I haven't been thrilled with their customer service at all.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably pay a little more and get BCs.

Luke
Thanks for all the replys I'll definately go with the BC's without hesitation.
Old 03-26-13, 03:25 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

You got it.

Also, my Megan's have 10/8kg springs. If I had to do it again, I'd probably do a 12/10kg since I think they are a hair too soft.
Old 03-31-13, 08:35 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Although I still don't think I would recommend them, it's only fair to point out that the noise coming from the rear of my car looks to be the carrier/knuckle bushings and not the coilovers. I jumped the gun on that since the problems started right after installing the coilovers. My apologies.
Old 03-31-13, 08:45 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've learned that 90% of the people that have issues with these coilovers is simply because they don't do any research.

The Megan LP's come with pillowtop mounts, which will ALWAYS give clunking noise when going over a bump. That's not a problem, it is designed that way. Metal on Metal, made for track use not daily, so if you use them daily know what you are getting into. The EZ have rubber mounts and don't clunk. Also many people don't know how to PROPERLY raise/lower the height on the coilovers, and most of the time end up adjusting the preload rather than the actual height. What do you expect when your springs are basically floating around the shock

The only issue I see with the Megan's are the spring rates, depending on how you drive (mostly height), they can be too soft.

Last edited by Vroomin350; 03-31-13 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-31-13, 09:21 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
I've learned that 90% of the people that have issues with these coilovers is simply because they don't do any research.

The Megan LP's come with pillowtop mounts, which will ALWAYS give clunking noise when going over a bump. That's not a problem, it is designed that way
With all due respect, this is 100% untrue.

Although the LP pillow ball top hats have metal to metal contact, it's very tight contact and there should be absolutely no noise if everything is in good operating condition, everything is tightened down, and there is no play in any of the building blocks.

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 03-31-13 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-31-13, 01:25 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
With all due respect, this is 100% untrue.

Although the LP pillow ball top hats have metal to metal contact, it's very tight contact and there should be absolutely no noise if everything is in good operating condition, everything is tightened down, and there is no play in any of the building blocks.

With all due respect please do some more research on the subject. There is nothing that needs to be tightened on the contact points of the pillow mount. Though it is infact very tight contact, it is KNOWN that pillow mount coils tend to make noise over bumps (from metal to metal contact). I didn't mean to say it was designed to make noise, I meant because of the design noise is expected.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you should expect a full blown symphony from non rubber mounts, but you WILL experience significantly MUCH more road noise/clunks than you would from a rubbert mount.

So people buy LP due to the higher spring rate upfront and don't even know the difference between pillow and rubber mounts. Then they come on threads like these bashing a perfectly good product.

Last edited by Vroomin350; 03-31-13 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-31-13, 02:03 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Do pillow ball top hats transfer more NHV than a rubber top hat? Yes.

Will Megan LPs "ALWAYS give clunking noise when going over a bump?" Absolutely not.

Also, called Megan recently and they confirmed for me that the spring rates are identical between LP and EZ. The only difference is the too hat design (pillow vs rubber), the color, and the amount of adjustment points.

And you are telling me to do research?

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 03-31-13 at 02:06 PM.