Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan LP or BC Raing coilover

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-10, 06:01 PM
808_GS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Megan LP or BC Raing coilover

Im looking to upgrade from drop spings to a coilover suspension on my GS400 by the end of this month. Im currently on DF210's with stock shocks. For anybody with experience with both suspension, which one would you recommend? I'm not too concerned with which one goes lower beacuse im not looking to dump it to the ground, but i also like to have the adjustable feature just in case i need to raise it up in the future. I ustt need a comfortable ride similar to what i have now. please share your experience if you have any. I appreciate your input. Thanks!
Old 11-16-10, 12:44 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For what you need I'd recommend the BCR coilovers, they'll have a better overall ride and they have better damping control.

Feel free to PM us for more info.
Old 11-16-10, 01:12 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

14k/12k is stiff for the Tanabes... I would go with the BC Coils w/ custom spring rate.
Old 11-16-10, 06:12 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search on FIGS suggestion on the matter. I don't want to speak for him in reference to a conversation I had with him in the past, but when I was having tire issues that I mistook for suspension issues he was spot on with his recommendation.
Old 11-16-10, 07:52 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

^ I think he's just asking on which coilovers to get? lol
Old 11-17-10, 11:46 AM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 808_GS400
Im looking to upgrade from drop spings to a coilover suspension on my GS400 by the end of this month. Im currently on DF210's with stock shocks. For anybody with experience with both suspension, which one would you recommend? I'm not too concerned with which one goes lower beacuse im not looking to dump it to the ground, but i also like to have the adjustable feature just in case i need to raise it up in the future. I ustt need a comfortable ride similar to what i have now. please share your experience if you have any. I appreciate your input. Thanks!
Just my 2 cents. Depending on how much lower you want to go, and how often you plan on adjusting your ride height, and not to mention how often you want to have to re-do your alignment, coilovers may not be your best option. Coilovers are great for ride height adjustability, but most coilovers will make your ride stiffer and bouncier than what you have right now as well. Not sure if that's the effect you wanted. Also, I've had coilovers on my last 3 subarus, 2 Hondas, and I've never adjusted the height more than once. Yes, they have the ability to get you EXACTLY where you want to be, but most people set the height once and leave it. If you just want your car a little lower, have you considered RCA's? It's just another option for you. Front and rears will be significantly cheaper than coilovers, and will not affect your ride quality at all. It will lower your front between 3/4" - 1" in the front and around 1 inch in the rear and you can always remove them in the future to raise the car back up to the height you have now. Again, RCA's may not be your answer, but for me, they worked well. I'm on Bilstein's, Tein Stech's and Sage front and rear RCA's. The ride height is decent (not slammed, but I like it) and most importantly, I love the ride quality. Good luck bro. Oh and I'm local if you want to meet up to take a ride or see the ride height.
Old 11-17-10, 04:41 PM
808_GS400
Pole Position

thanks for your input. actually, i thought about the RCA option too. below is a picture of my current height. the thing is that i dont think it will lower me enough to my liking. would be nice to see it in person but im from Maui. do you have a pic of your current setup? id like to see how much fender gap is left. btw, what size wheels are you on? im on 19"s. thanks

Originally Posted by Silver'04
Just my 2 cents. Depending on how much lower you want to go, and how often you plan on adjusting your ride height, and not to mention how often you want to have to re-do your alignment, coilovers may not be your best option. Coilovers are great for ride height adjustability, but most coilovers will make your ride stiffer and bouncier than what you have right now as well. Not sure if that's the effect you wanted. Also, I've had coilovers on my last 3 subarus, 2 Hondas, and I've never adjusted the height more than once. Yes, they have the ability to get you EXACTLY where you want to be, but most people set the height once and leave it. If you just want your car a little lower, have you considered RCA's? It's just another option for you. Front and rears will be significantly cheaper than coilovers, and will not affect your ride quality at all. It will lower your front between 3/4" - 1" in the front and around 1 inch in the rear and you can always remove them in the future to raise the car back up to the height you have now. Again, RCA's may not be your answer, but for me, they worked well. I'm on Bilstein's, Tein Stech's and Sage front and rear RCA's. The ride height is decent (not slammed, but I like it) and most importantly, I love the ride quality. Good luck bro. Oh and I'm local if you want to meet up to take a ride or see the ride height.
Old 11-17-10, 10:23 PM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

Check page 3, post # 37 for pics of my car ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...le-ride-3.html . ) . I'm on S-Techs so that's a 1.5/1.0" drop + the 1" from the RCA'S. IIRC, the Tanabe's would be lower by .3" front and rear, right? Sorry the picture kind if sucks, but you should be able to get a little better idea now with some kind of reference.

Honestly, I'm so used to being able to get the height exactly where I wanted it when I had coilovers in all my other cars. But, I wanted a better ride for this car. Ride quality was higher on my list than the perfect ride height was. I researched for a bit and thought the springs, struts, and RCA's would fit the bill for good ride quality first, then ride height second.......I'm glad I did it. You just gotta see what is the most important for you.
Old 11-18-10, 01:06 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats a nice even drop. What are you looking for? slammed?

30mm SAGE RCAs will drop you approx. 1.20 inches more...all around.
Old 11-18-10, 04:49 PM
808_GS400
Pole Position

not really slammed, just want to lower it a little more. maybe RCA will get me there based on Silver04's photo. are the ones you have 30mm?

Originally Posted by PHML
Thats a nice even drop. What are you looking for? slammed?

30mm SAGE RCAs will drop you approx. 1.20 inches more...all around.
Old 11-18-10, 10:04 PM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

not really slammed, just want to lower it a little more. maybe RCA will get me there based on Silver04's photo. are the ones you have 30mm?
Yup, I'm running Sage's front and rear. If you not lowered at all, lowering by 1" won't seem to make much of a difference at all. But, if you're already lowered close to 2", adding on another 1" of drop made all the difference for me. I looked through so many threads to see people's ride heights. Not to mention that when I bought my GS, the previous owner already had the Tein's installed. I picked up basically where you are now. And like you, I just wanted it a bit lower, but I didn't want to sacrifice any ride quality to gain that "little bit lower stance"
Old 12-06-10, 01:31 PM
808_GS400
Pole Position

Default update!!

Just and update everyone on this post. I decided to keep my DF210"s and add a set of front and rear RCA, and Bilstein Sport shocks. Im happy with the ride quality and i have no regrets...here the link for the end results. Thnaks everyone for the advice and inputs. I apprciate it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-new-pics.html
Old 12-22-10, 06:56 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that drop on yur car with the tanabe n sage rca's look perfect...if u want the rear a lil lower, add some subwoofers. should bring it down a tad, n give u some extra thump

i have tanabes on my GS n i think im going the sage route as well, especially after seeing the after pix!
Old 12-22-10, 11:57 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by baddis es
that drop on yur car with the tanabe n sage rca's look perfect...if u want the rear a lil lower, add some subwoofers. should bring it down a tad, n give u some extra thump

i have tanabes on my GS n i think im going the sage route as well, especially after seeing the after pix!
no need subwoofers...just add some rocks or masonry blocks.
Old 12-27-10, 07:09 PM
DRELOC
Driver

That's the route i'm going for, install a set of RCA's . Silver'04 is right because you only set the ride height on the coilovers once and leave it. The final result looks good OP.