Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sharp Turn In and Other Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 05:38 PM
DrDDay
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sharp Turn In and Other Thoughts

Good Afternoon,

I just pulled my IS300 out of winter storage yesterday so now is the time to start addressing some of the things that I had on my mind after driving the car for a very short time after I purchased it last fall. There are a few things I have been mulling around and would love some input from anyone who is willing to toss out some ideas, opinions, or experiences.

One of the things I read about the car before making my purchase was that at highway speeds the car can be a little darty. Now, I have found this to be not nearly as bad as I had read in some reviews, but the initial turn in is a little sharp for my tastes. It doesn't feel dangerous as long as I am focused on the drive, but it can be a little concerning in the wet and when I allow my GF to drive (who is also learning to drive a manual currently). I currently have a few theories to correct this. As I am planning on upgrading most of the suspension components, I am wondering if any of you have noticed a tightening from just sway bars and a quality set of shocks/springs or coilovers?

The other avenue I have been pondering is with wheel and tire combos. The stock wheel and tire combo is 17x7 +50 with 215/45/17. I've thought about throwing on 225/45/17's for some more contact patch, but I don't know that the extra little bit of tread will make the difference that I'm looking for, and it might just be a band aide that I will have to address again later in the season. Here's where too much time reading and not enough real world experience with these cars may get me into trouble, and I would really like your inputs and theories. Gita's came with 17x7.5 +55's on the rear (I believe). If I was able to get 4 rears, I would have the extra width and offset to maybe put on a 235/245. Do I know if a set of Gita rears will fit all around a sedan? No I do not. Do I think that will alleviate my issues? Maybe. The other idea I have tossed around since last fall was G Spiders. 18x8 +45 front and 18x8.5 +50 rear. My car is basically bone stock and other than suspension mods will probably stay that way (at least for the foreseeable future) so I don't have much need for staggering my wheels, but I would just for convenience sake. I know that I can fit all the tire I want (or need) on them, but don't know that just shoving more contact patch and adjusting pressures will achieve the desired results.

OK, here's your chance. I want to hear anything you've got. Tell me I'm an idiot or a genius, I just want to hear as much input and as many theories and experiences tossed out there as possible. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any ideas shared.