Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear Tire wear (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 04:44 PM
V8drummer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Tire wear (with pictures)

I'm going to be getting new rear tires, and having some new tie rods installed soon. So I'm trying to get the suspension sorted out all in one shot. The rear of the car burns up inner part of the tire very quickly, even after my last alignment.

The tech said the rear is maxed out at -2.5 degrees camber. Unfortunately I don't remember the toe setting. So I'm wondering if either the toe is way off, or do I have some sort of problem with my rear suspension? The rear seems to ride a bit harsh over bumps, and feels darty over sewer covers (not sure if that's just from the tire wear). The rear passenger side tire has a crazy wear pattern. These tires were bought used at about 50% tread, and this is them after I put less than 3,000 more miles on them.

Here's the rear passenger side.

Rear driver's side, has inner wear, but doesn't have the same pattern as the other side.

Old 02-06-13, 07:05 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go look for the piece of paper that gives all your alignment specs that the alignment shop gave you (or maybe they can print you out another one). Once you know where your suspension is at, replace parts as neccessary.

what suspension mods do you have right now?
Old 02-06-13, 11:12 PM
kingbrian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, your tires are wasted all he way across, yes they have more wear on the inside but considering the life you got i wouldn't complain.. unless you haven't had them since new..
Old 02-06-13, 11:15 PM
kingbrian
Driver School Candidate

*ignore, double post.
Old 02-07-13, 12:07 AM
V8drummer
Advanced

-Tein S-tech springs and Kyb shocks

I asked them to print them out the spec sheet, but supposedly the printer was out of paper.

Well I just ordered a new set of tires. I'm planning on getting a 4 wheel alignment, and having them check out the suspension anyways since I'm having tie rods installed.

The tires were purchased used with about 50% tread, which was even at the time.
Old 02-07-13, 03:05 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They're scrubbed. You camber is not your biggest issue. Fix the toe.
Old 02-07-13, 07:10 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by V8drummer
-Tein S-tech springs and Kyb shocks

I asked them to print them out the spec sheet, but supposedly the printer was out of paper.

Well I just ordered a new set of tires. I'm planning on getting a 4 wheel alignment, and having them check out the suspension anyways since I'm having tie rods installed.

The tires were purchased used with about 50% tread, which was even at the time.
Out of paper huh? I had a shop tell me that their printer was out of ink when they "did" my last alignment. Turns out they never aligned it, and that's why an excuse was made as to why they weren't able to print me out a sheet.

I hate relying on general service shops to do alignments for me. Everything else is done by ME to my car, that way I know it was done, and done correctly. I'm just not fortunate enough to have an alignment rack in my backyard haha.

Get some GOOD tires on there, and get an alignment. After a few hundred miles, keep an eye on the wear of your new tires. If something seems sketchy, take it back and have them check it. Most 60,000 mile alignments come with a lifetime guarantee of sorts. If it doesn't seem right, make them fix it.
Old 02-07-13, 04:43 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly, I 100% agree^^
Old 02-23-13, 05:48 PM
V8drummer
Advanced

Alright, so I finally had a shop install some new rear tires. They offered to shake down the suspension and check the brakes for me as well. They said everything in the suspension was tight, but the rear brake pads were worn unevenly. They said one side was down to 10%, and the other had more because of hanging calipers. So they said I need new calipers and rotors.

edit: Went to a real shop, and just needed rear pads. They also confirmed alignment was out of wack.

Last edited by V8drummer; 03-07-13 at 03:54 PM.