Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anyone had to replace their megan coilover shocks due to

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 10:02 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
i dont think u can guarantee its coming from those nor that its not a bushing, your rear knuckle has several bushes in it that can make this
Yes, that's certainly a good point and I should inspect those bushings closely before ordering any parts.
Old 03-26-13, 11:07 AM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

my megans sound like a haunted house
Old 03-26-13, 11:12 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sevenevez
LOL. On one hand I'm glad I'm not alone. On the other, I'm annoyed that I decided to go with Megan brand coilovers. I've spent a small fortunate diagnosing all this crap.
Old 03-26-13, 02:18 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

haha, for real. i think its just the fronts. but, its squeaky as a son of a b. sometimes worse than others. i feel like i need to drive through a river of WD-40 to cure it. oh well. i must admit, for the price, they did what i wanted to do. sit the car low and handle better with a decent ride.
Old 03-26-13, 03:11 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

haha, for real. i think its just the fronts. but, its squeaky as a son of a b. sometimes worse than others. i feel like i need to drive through a river of WD-40 to cure it. oh well. i must admit, for the price, they did what i wanted to do. sit the car low and handle better with a decent ride.
So you've just accepted it huh?

Hmmm, I think if it is related to the coilovers, it's either the top hat or the lower mount. Do you have LP or EZ?
Old 03-26-13, 03:47 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

see you'll are just pointing fingers now....how do u know its not your trac link bushing or rear knuckle bushing? i have like 20k on my megans (including the time chris owned them) with no issues. thats right 0 issues since replacing the lower mount to the newer version

the rear knuckle bushing is 90% of all members squeaks back there....i would hate to buy new coilovers for them to squeak also due to the bad bushing. check/replace the bushings and if its still there THEN condemn the coilovers

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
if it is related to the coilovers, it's either the top hat or the lower mount
see thats my point exactly....u dont even know if it is the coilovers yet u ready to condemn them already. the car and its bushings are old, replace them first
Old 03-26-13, 04:12 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by sakataj
see thats my point exactly....u dont even know if it is the coilovers yet u ready to condemn them already. the car and its bushings are old, replace them first
Your point is valid that the coilovers do often get blamed when the carrier bushing or track-link bushings are sometimes the culprit. That's certainly not fair to Megan.

I do have one question for you regarding the lower mounts. With searches (and your assistance) I have seen pics of the revised lower mounts. Do you or anyone else have a pic of the older version lower mounts from Megan? I'm interested to see what changed and what would cause the previous version to make noise. That may also help me identify if I have the older or newer version on my car..
Old 03-26-13, 05:22 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

im not pointing fingers or "blaming" megan. like i said they did exactly what i needed them to do. i can tell you there wasnt a squeak on my car at all until i installed them. jus saying, they got a lot of creaks now. maybe its just the front end squeaking due to the new lowered stance. i live out in the boonies though, so its not like i can have somebody inspecting it while i drive. and honestly it doesnt bother me that much
Old 06-08-13, 07:51 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Just to close this out, replacing the shock cartridge eliminated the problem.

Admittedly, this is a bit puzzling because the old shock, although not rebounding anywhere as quickly as the new shock, doesn't show any signs of anything being obviously wrong. I didn't notice any unusual play in the shaft nor any noises when shaking it.

I'm thrilled that the problem is solved but wish I had an explanation for why the shock itself was the culprit of the rattling I've been hearing for the past several months. I'm curious enough that I might call Megan to get their view on the situation.
Old 11-08-13, 07:57 AM
ONMYLVL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

although i cant answer the question of why the cartrige was the problem, the reason why the damper itself rebounds faster than the OEM unit, is based upon the actual pressure inside the damper. there is a good chance the Megan unit has over 100psi of pressure inside it, and the OEM unit likely has much less than that. Also, if the Megan damper doesnt have enough pressure inside, it could create this noise you are hearing. Anything under 100psi, and i would automatically assume adding another 40psi or so could make a significant difference in noise reduction.