Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anyone had to replace their megan coilover shocks due to

Old 02-02-13, 11:14 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Anyone had to replace their megan coilover shocks due to

It looks like Megan offers the replacement shock cartridges for about $115/each

I have been getting this faint rattle over bumps at low speed that sounds like it's coming from my rear passenger side coilover. I have Megan LP on my 2001 GS430.

I've tightened the 17mm nut, which didn't help. I made sure all the locking rings were tight, which didn't help. I reset the preload, which didn't help. I replaced the LP pillow-ball top hat with an EZ rubber top-hat, which didn't help.

I'm starting to think that the shock itself is bad with 20K miles on them... Maybe some tolerance opened up and is causing some play?

I took it off and disassembled it and the shock looks to still rebound ok and I didn't notice anything obviously wrong.

I also replaced the rear sway bay links and bushings which made no difference.

I'm thinking about ordering the shock from Megan and seeing if it makes a difference.

Has anyone had to replace a Megan shock due to rattling?

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 03-06-13 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-03-13, 02:01 PM
BlKTC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you take off the coilover, did you depress the shock to check if it was blown? If it's blown, it won't rebound.
Old 02-03-13, 09:54 PM
SwayNV
Rookie

I've got megans and never had a problem. =/
Hope you find a fix man. you sure it's the coilover?
Old 02-04-13, 09:20 AM
mexikan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bad strut mount..
Old 03-05-13, 12:42 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by mexikan
That's what I thought but after replacing them, no change. That takes me back to my original idea that it's the shock itself.
Old 03-05-13, 01:03 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bushings on the top mount maybe?
Old 03-05-13, 01:55 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Shouldn't be bad with just 20k on them.
Old 03-05-13, 02:00 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

i posted about a FIGS spherical replacement for stance/megans for this issue as these are a typical problem for both brands of coilovers....if OP would ever search instead of all these posts he could find it. it was in the classifieds but had a link to FIGS FB page showing the product/issue

with that being said im in a fairly good mood, let me look later and i will see if i can find it tonight

Last edited by sakataj; 03-05-13 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 09:56 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sakataj
with that being said im in a fairly good mood, let me look later and i will see if i can find it tonight
as promised, start at post # 6 and actually read the posts and then read the links provided one provides FIGS replacement
for stance/megans and one shows megans OEM replacement.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...overs-o-c.html
Old 03-06-13, 11:12 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

sakataj, if you only knew the hundreds of posts i've searched though and countless hours chasing these little minor annoyances... I've had two mechanics chase it too. You have to admit, this is a bit of an obscure problem.

Just to clear up a couple things. I originally thought this was related to the Megan top hats. I swapped out the LP pillow ball hats with EZ rubber hats and it made no difference.

From your link, it looks like you are suggesting that the bottom mount may be the culprit? I never considered that as I've never known that as something that could potentially have play on the Megans. Keep in mind this is a "popcorn" sound over bumps, not a squeak as described in your link. There are absolutely no squeaks and this is not a weather/temp related issue.

Next time I am in there, I will take a look at that bottom bushing/mount. I can't recall, but do the Megan lower mounts pivot like pictured below? I wonder if those lower bushings might have developed play. It certainly didn't look like it when I visually inspected them.

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 03-06-13 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-06-13, 12:18 PM
SikHerLife
Pole Position

DAmn i hope u find the problem... I'm about buy a set for my LS430.. Good luck in your finds
Old 03-06-13, 01:05 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
sakataj, if you only knew the hundreds of posts i've searched though and countless hours chasing these little minor annoyances... I've had two mechanics chase it too. You have to admit, this is a bit of an obscure problem.

Just to clear up a couple things. I originally thought this was related to the Megan top hats. I swapped out the LP pillow ball hats with EZ rubber hats and it made no difference.

From your link, it looks like you are suggesting that the bottom mount may be the culprit? I never considered that as I've never known that as something that could potentially have play on the Megans. Keep in mind this is a "popcorn" sound over bumps, not a squeak as described in your link. There are absolutely no squeaks and this is not a weather/temp related issue.

Next time I am in there, I will take a look at that bottom bushing/mount. I can't recall, but do the Megan lower mounts pivot like pictured below? I wonder if those lower bushings might have developed play. It certainly didn't look like it when I visually inspected them.
well first off your welcome second off i will give you that it is a very obscure issue and not easily found, thirdly did you read the whole thread i sent you? it links to this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...d-weather.html

which shows the new megans replacement ones and details the guys who were having issues with them (no the OEM megan mounts dont pivot like those nor do the OEM stance ones, FIGS made a replacement press in bushing, i guess i threw you off when i said it was a spherical bushing)

im not saying this is 100% your issue but if you have checked all the other bolts/mounts there isnt alot that can be left except the bottom mount and the actual coilover being blown but you should notice it bottoming out when you drive. the reason im referring you to this being a possible problem is this is a known issue for stance/megans causing a squeak. can you simulate the noise any other way than driving? might have to do something like i did when i had a rear noise, i drove slowly around a parking lot with my mechanic laying down in the back seat with the door open hanging halfway out the door to "catch" the noise

have you also looked into the possibility of the RUCA bushings being bad? or your rear knuckle bushing or any of the other bushings in the rear? i have replaced about 4 of my rear bushings....

Last edited by sakataj; 03-06-13 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 01:37 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Sakataj,

Thank you for taking the time to help me diagnose this issue, and yes I did read through the whole 4 page thread you linked above. I was hoping to draw a parallel between that problem and mine, but as mentioned above it sounds like that one is related to loud annoying squeaking and not faint rattling/popcorn sounds like I have. You are right on the ball that since I've ruled out pretty much everything else, it would be worth a look at that lower mount/bushing.

I also bought my coilovers used, so I can't confirm whether I have that previous generation lower bushing or the new improved one. Also, this problem started right around the time that I got coilovers. But I will remain open minded and say that given that the car all of a sudden went 2 inches lower, it could have additionally stressed some other suspension component.

It's primarily coming from the passenger side rear. One other hint is that if I hit the gas really hard from a stop, I feel this thud coming from the rear before the car takes off. I've checked the control arm and differential bushings and see no signs of cracking or wear in those bushings (that was present before and after the coilovers). I don't think these issues are related since the thud was their before the coilovers and the rattling/popcorn only came after the coilovers.

The noise is present over "low amplitude" uneven surfaces at low speed. When the speed increases or the bumps are large, I can't hear it at all. Here is some additional information regarding the symptoms (and also being reported by another member with BC C/O)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-the-rear.html

Regarding simulating it, if I bounce the car up and down from the back corners, I can't duplicate. Only time I can hear it is over small imperfections in the road at low speed.

Originally Posted by sakataj
i drove slowly around a parking lot with my mechanic laying down in the back seat with the door open hanging halfway out the door to "catch" the noise
Now that's the type of diagnosing that I like to hear about, lol!

One thing is for sure, if it is coming from the coilovers and not some other suspension component, then the only things left are the shock cartridge or the lower mount bushing.

Slowly but surely!

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 03-06-13 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 02:27 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
One thing is for sure, if it is coming from the coilovers and not some other suspension component, then the only things left are the shock cartridge or the lower mount bushing.
i dont think u can guarantee its coming from those nor that its not a bushing, your rear knuckle has several bushes in it that can make this
Old 03-06-13, 05:31 PM
gctsvcxq
Driver School Candidate

It certainly didn't look like it when I visually inspected them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone had to replace their megan coilover shocks due to