Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

notes from front strut repl. today and noise check

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 05:15 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default notes from front strut repl. today and noise check

Finally got the time to take apart my pass. side brakes and remove strut on the front of my 93 SC4 today. Thought Id share this because I have, since purchase, had a strange jerking feeling from the pass. front end when backing and applying the brakes. The prev. owner has repl. the rear struts so I bought a pair of Monroe struts and bearing plates for the front. I removed the strut after first removing caliper, rotor and sway bar end link, also you will have to knock the lower ball joint loose to push the a-arm down enough to get the strut out. Would have been easier with some assistance. I looked for play in the lower a-arm bushings once it was disconnected as well as the ball joint and could find none. The strut was leaking oil and was slightly lazy compared to new. I did not find any wear in the rubber of the bearing mount. When spinning the front wheel bearing it was tight yet made a raspy sound when spun fast. Dont know if a new bearing would be that much different but it does look hard to change. Also I am deleteing my trac. and ABS and am wanting to remove the sensor wire from the back of the bearing, as long as its not speedomotor related. Lastly watch the rubber hose going to the caliper when wedging the strut ***. out it is right in the way.
Old 11-27-12, 05:38 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

As concerning my question about the speed sensor and wiring that is on the inside of the front wheel bearing. Im guessing the TRAC computer is reading the front wheel speed and comparing it with the 2 rear wheel speeds, so you would only need the speed sesors if keeping the TRAC sys.
Old 11-30-12, 06:46 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

UPDATE, After putting the new strut on the pass. side my jerking was as bad as ever. So I pulled the strut from the drivers side today, it had hardly any wear in it or the bearing plate. What I did find was the lower control arm bushings are shot even though the ball joint seemed good. Going to reread some threads on bushing replacement or control arm repl.
Old 12-01-12, 05:30 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Good luck. New bushings can be bought off of Ebay. They can be burned out or pressed. Keep in mind, the supra TT will work also if you can find them.
Old 12-01-12, 07:48 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Ordered some prothanes from Jegs. Can you believe it my a-arm bolts tapped right out.