Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear Brake Fit Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12, 03:26 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Brake Fit Kit Question

I am looking at the Picture of the Rear Fit kit here, and it does not match 04948 in this diagram

I am assuming that the fit kit is actually comprised of the parts shown in the diagram, and that the other picture is just a sample?

So the actual fit kit is made up of the slide pin, a pin to secure the slide pin, the anti-squeal clip, and another clip that goes between the squeal clip and the brake pads?

Going back to the diagram, I notice that the slide pin has a hole and a pin on the back end of it. The last time I looked at my brakes I did not notice this pin, am I missing a part back there?

I know for sure I am missing the very thin piece that goes between the ant-squeal clip and the pads.

I am hoping that when I install this fit kit I can get rid of a rattling problem that my rear brakes have had ever since I installed After market Pads.

One final question: I was going over the DIY for brake pad replacement and it talks about compressing the piston. I was wondering what is the best way to do this, and If I compressed my pistons a bit more, could I tighten up the gap so that my pads are no longer rattling?

Last edited by lexusben; 05-23-12 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-24-12, 07:26 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Any help? I know plenty of members have installed Brake Fit Kits. I tried searching and there isn't any information on how to install the kit, or the parts the kit includes.
Old 05-25-12, 06:27 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the rear brake hardware kit should come with just a couple of those pins, some couder pins (sp?) so that the long pins that go thru the caliper and the brake pads dont slide out, and that pressure plate spring.

im guessing that is just a mis used picture that they used on the site.

the pin hole u mention is probably there, just clogged with dust and dirt

the rattling problem could be a number of things, when u brake does the car pull to one side a bit? since they are aftermarket pads, they could be slightly undersized causing space thus rattle. if the caliper piston is stuck, this could cause rattle as well.
Old 05-25-12, 10:44 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

I have a rattle over any little bump in the road. However, if I lay on the brakes ever so slightly and go over the same surface there is no sound. I can kill the rattle just by lightly pressing the brakes.

If it is very quiet and I lightly press the brakes I can hear a clicking noise as if something in the brake system is shifting positions.
Old 05-25-12, 06:20 PM
komar
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone have a order of assembly??? i found i was missing some of the hardware. ordered replacement but not felling 100% comfortable with the way it's just sitting there. seems like a bump would cause the "plate" to come un-sprung...missing peice in the first place...

thanks
Old 05-25-12, 07:34 PM
komar
Rookie

figured it out....
pics below

Old 05-26-12, 09:56 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Thank you very much, Komar. It looks like I am missing a few of those clips. Hopefully once I get them installed my problems will be solved.
Old 05-30-12, 04:25 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

I received my fit kit today but it did not come with that middle spring. It only came with the anti-rattle clip and a slide pin with the hole and a cotter pin to hold it in place. I ordered the 1997-2001 kit; I am guessing the 2002-2005 kit comes with the middle spring.

I am even more confused because my current slide pin does not have a hole for a cotter pin.
Old 05-30-12, 04:37 PM
komar
Rookie

I ordered mine from oriliey auto parts, I have a pic of parts not installed of it will help .... my car is a 2001
Old 06-01-12, 01:23 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Komar, thank you for all the help. Sewell just changed their diagram so that you have to order the part I was referring to separately. It is now called the Anti-Squeal Clip #2. They sent it me for free since I was expecting it in the original order. I really appreciate Sewell's customer service.

As you can see the part is now 47743C (No. 2) at the top left of the image and no longer included in 04948.
Old 07-21-12, 02:14 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusben
Komar, thank you for all the help. Sewell just changed their diagram so that you have to order the part I was referring to separately. It is now called the Anti-Squeal Clip #2. They sent it me for free since I was expecting it in the original order. I really appreciate Sewell's customer service.

As you can see the part is now 47743C (No. 2) at the top left of the image and no longer included in 04948.
I have the parts and think I figured out how they go together, seeing as I was missing part number 47743C #2 entirely when I inspected my rear brake....but I'm not totally sure. Would you be able to take a picture or two of how they fit together for me?
Old 08-11-15, 09:06 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

These clips drive me nuts.. I pulled me wheels off to look at the brakes and sure enough, I must not have got them in right, the clips are gone. So as much as I thought I had them in right they popped out some several thousand miles ago.

I will have to get me a new set and try again..... These pictures are a big help!
Old 08-12-15, 12:45 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
These clips drive me nuts.. I pulled me wheels off to look at the brakes and sure enough, I must not have got them in right, the clips are gone. So as much as I thought I had them in right they popped out some several thousand miles ago.

I will have to get me a new set and try again..... These pictures are a big help!
Lol! You really have to snap them in there, for some crazy reason I kept loosing the left side one. So I just made sure it had enough pressure for it not to fall off.

You know when you lose one when you hear that annoying clicking sound!
Old 03-25-23, 07:49 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Can someone advise if this is the proper method to where the spring it suppose to ride?

This video shows the spring on the top of the top hole

This video shows the spring inside the top hole 17:59