Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Pop/Clank sound when first moving wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-02, 05:41 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop/Clank sound when first moving wheel?

Is this normal? It's been happening for quite some time, but driving with the windows down lately lets me here how loud it is. When I first pull the car out of my driveway moving slowly, when I slightly turn the wheel I get a pretty loud clank sound. Sometimes I hear it in a parking lot. Besides that, it drives fine (except my warped rotors). Should I be concerned? I have an extended warranty, so perhaps it's something that would be covered?
Old 08-28-02, 08:38 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happens only when going slowly and turning? Maybe a CV joint? Suspension component (i.e. bushing) wearing out? Try the dealer yet?
Old 08-28-02, 11:12 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Actually, today I paid attention and noticed it happens when I first hit the brakes. It's seems as though it is the first time the calipers engage. Sound more common?
Old 08-29-02, 06:54 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by theanimala
....it happens when I first hit the brakes. It's seems as though it is the first time the calipers engage.
Hmm, sounds like you might need a brake shim kit. I've been told that without it, you will get a "click" when applying the brakes, or during reverse.

Take it into the dealer and let them look it over. Brakes are nothing to put off.
Old 08-29-02, 09:51 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

My boss has a '99 SC300 with only 30,000 miles and is having the same brake noise. I told her it was because of the 3 years worth of brake dust that she has never washed off.
Old 08-29-02, 03:16 PM
cgatch
Rookie

I have the same problem before and found out that my rear brakes need new pads. Have you checked the condition of your brakes lately?
Old 08-29-02, 08:00 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dex

Hmm, sounds like you might need a brake shim kit. I've been told that without it, you will get a "click" when applying the brakes, or during reverse.

Take it into the dealer and let them look it over. Brakes are nothing to put off.
hey, that is my exact problem!! when i reverse, i get this constant clicking. when i drive forward, there's a slight whirring to it that bugs and scares me. the dealer said that its nothing to worry about, but i'm not trusting him anymore. i happened right when i put on 20" from 18".

can it be a shim kit? i haven't changed my brakes yet
Old 08-29-02, 08:15 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bravo261

hey, that is my exact problem!! when i reverse, i get this constant clicking. when i drive forward, there's a slight whirring to it that bugs and scares me. the dealer said that its nothing to worry about, but i'm not trusting him anymore. i happened right when i put on 20" from 18".

can it be a shim kit? i haven't changed my brakes yet
If you haven't messed with the brakes, I'd say 'No'.

Your issue sounds really scary; take it to another dealer, or, you can always call Click & Clack on NPR this weekend.
Old 08-30-02, 05:29 AM
zenki300
Driver

Hey theanimala,

I too hear the same thing when I start the car and back out of the driveway. I always wondered if anyone else had this problem, but until you posted, I accepted it as quite normal and always ignored it. Maybe it's not, hmm....

Once the car is running and warmed up, the "clanking" disappears completely. It's only when I first start the car in the morning and backup and turn the wheels while pressing the brakes I hear that noise. It hasn't affected my braking at all so maybe it's nothing really. As for the "whirring," I figure it's the ABS system running it's diagnostic check, so that's acceptable. But that "clanking" is bothersome to say the least.

If it was the brakes pads requiring changing, you would hear a squeeking noise, not a "clank." It definitely sounds like something disengaging, so hopefully it's nothing more than a part that needs a little bit of lubrication.
Old 08-30-02, 08:26 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

I have the same problem before and found out that my rear brakes need new pads. Have you checked the condition of your brakes lately?
I put on TRD pads and rotors less then 10K miles ago, so I doubt they are worn out (although my front rotors need to be cut or something).

Zenki, it sounds as though you have the exact same issue as me. It's good (for me, not you) that others have the same issue. It doesn't sound as though its a big issue but I'll have my dealer look into it when I next take the car there (I won't make a special trip for it). When I hear what the deal is I'll post it hear so you guys know what the issue is.
Old 09-01-02, 02:39 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I get the same noise but didn't noticed it until after my 20s got on. The dealer looked at it and said my brakes were fine and said it might be the new rotors I had (crossdrilled).
Old 09-02-02, 03:47 AM
zenki300
Driver

Hey,

If it's of any help to you guys with this problem too, my car is a perfectly stock (inside and out) GS, yet I hear the same noises sometimes when backing out.

So GS400_Pusher, I don't really think it's your 20in. rims or your cross-drilled rotors. I'm not saying it's completely not brake-related, but I don't think they're really the problem. I'm guessing it might be something else... more expensive
Old 09-02-02, 04:43 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER
I get the same noise but didn't noticed it until after my 20s got on. (
i second that.

dex, thanks for the reply. i didn't think it could be my brakes either since they're stock. i will take to another dealer since i just moved next to the one other lexus dealer in my state