Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Shaking Steering Wheel 60-70mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-11, 01:49 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this topic has been discussed quite a bit, and the result seems to be many, many opinions and first hand experience. Everything from dont waste your money to new tires, rotors, alignment, balancing...

my experience was this:

rolling on cheap 19s and springs... just after this setup was installed, I noticed the problem... I had done a few things to fix it, but fortunately, I did more reading then cracking open my wallet because I was watching everyone else in frustration spending cash with no results...

upgraded to high-end 20s, tein CS V2 coils... the problem was better, but not great... did the pre-tensioner adjustment and smooth as glass... cost almost nothing to have this done...
Old 07-08-11, 07:17 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default .

I definitely gotta try this because I changed my struts to new oem ones as well as I changed the rims back to stock 16s and the shake is a lot better but still there. How do I do this pre tensioner adjustment? When I go to the lexus service dept what exactly do I need to tell them to do it and what's the most it should cost? Thanks
Old 07-09-11, 11:24 AM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DMPesso
How do I do this pre tensioner adjustment? When I go to the lexus service dept what exactly do I need to tell them to do it and what's the most it should cost? Thanks
I'm not sure what to expect from Lexus regarding cost or even their response to your request, but there are DIY threads out there...

there is instructions in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-searched.html

I also would do a search here (advanced search) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/search.php using the keyword "pretensioner" and select "GS - second generation" under "Search in Forum(s)", you'll dig, but it will be there. I believe the pretensioner adjustment is only valid for 2001 and above,
Old 10-15-11, 02:30 PM
collagesky
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Shaking Steering Wheel 60-70mph

I have the exact same problem, Have new Michelin tires, new rotors and brakes, new all four Lexus struts and all four Lexus Springs.

i went to dealer : they responded back saying i have front brake and rotor warped (give me a break) i told them there are new rotor and brakes in there, installed just 2 wks ago. I walked off trying not to have any argument with. --- That is not possible those new rotors or brake be that bad in 2 wks.

Changed Factory rims to custom rims - No solution.
Performed hi speed balancing on HUNTER GSP9700 series - No solution

My Observation: when car was lifted on hydraulic and put in drive (VSC turned off) found rear passenger side wheel hoping tremendously which causes vibration in vehicle, i dont know what the issue is.

I have been looking online but to this day i dont have any resolution.