Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

All this-and still the shake???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 12:22 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Well, I ordered new engine mounts... Everything else suspension-wise is new except inner tie rods. Will report back next week to let yall know what difference it made for me.
I did mounts on mine myself, it was a tough project. It didn't fix my shake issue at high speeds though. Good luck and let me know if you need any help with mounts

I'm starting to lean towards tilt wheel assembly itself as a cause of shakes. Maybe worn out bearings inside.....Any thoughts on that anyone?
Old 11-16-10, 12:34 PM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krispl
I did mounts on mine myself, it was a tough project. It didn't fix my shake issue at high speeds though. Good luck and let me know if you need any help with mounts

I'm starting to lean towards tilt wheel assembly itself as a cause of shakes. Maybe worn out bearings inside.....Any thoughts on that anyone?
For my symptoms, that would probably be the wrong diagnosis...

For one thing, I know my motor mounts are bad, so they ain't helping the problem. Even at idle, my car shakes.

For two, at 55 mph, my car handles like an M5. The steering is incredible. The suspension is simply bmw-esque. It's sporty and comfortable, with a perfect balance. I just find it hard to believe the steering assembly could be the culprit since it's SOOOO tight up until the shakes.

Three, it's intermittent. As others have stated, it will shake the floor for a few seconds, then the wheel starts, then it'll die down and be flawless. If it were steering assembly, I'd think it would occur constantly.

And lastly, I stopped by the Lexus dealership to talk to a service tech. I already suspected the mounts, but wanted to pick their brains. So I describe the symptoms, explain the aftermarket crap and maintenance already done... then asked if they had any ideas. Their response? Motor mounts. Said it was the most noticeable on the GS, and they replace them everyday. Leads me to believe we're on the right track

Some of the weirdness that I think also points to mounts:
  • As others have mentioned, temperature seems to be a contributing variable. Leads me to think when it's cold, the rubber on the mounts gets harder and the vibration is much more muted.
  • Pavement surface also seems to be a variable. Over rough pavement, it's like the engine is bouncing around. On perfectly flat roads... it's intermittent.

All in all it could be one of a hundred things. Each of us will likely find a different culprit Guess it's best to surf the forum for other ppl's symptoms that match yours, and see what their resolution is. If the mounts help my vibration, I'll be sure to post up about it to try and help others in the same boat.

Last edited by JiBBeL; 11-16-10 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-16-10, 07:50 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

i have a huge bubble on the inside of my driver's side rear tire. I'll post pics and see if this fixes it.
Old 07-13-13, 02:09 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Mine now suffers from this I will replace the motor mounts as they need it anyway.
Old 10-02-15, 12:26 PM
PandaGS300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SORRY TO BRING THIS BACK FROM THE DEAD.

Whats been the outcome of this?

Has anyone had success on solving this mother effing shake?

changed so far on my GS300 2002

LBJ, Sway bar links, inner and outter tie rods, tires, balance and alignment.

Going to do UCA next and then motor mounts if needed.
Old 12-13-15, 05:51 PM
czr73
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as there are still 2GS's out there, this will never be dead.

I'm going to inspect my MM's soon and replace asap. My symptoms match what I read in this excellent post.

I wish there was a DIY on swapping out MM's, that would be awesome !!

Czr =)