Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New UCA's and Caster Arms today

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 02:40 PM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New UCA's and Caster Arms today

A little background first.
98 Gs4 bought in MAy of 07 with 90k. Previous owner had already installed the daizen kit. Front end squeak from the minute I picked it up. Did research and learned that the Daizens need regular greasing to keep the squeaks at bay.
Fast forward 2 years 65k miles. Installed new KYB struts on all four corners as well as new lower ball joints and tie rods. Squeak still there. Even took the sway bar bushings out and lubed them up and re-installed.
Fast forward to today. Just shy of 172k miles. Installed new UCAs and caster arms.

Squeak is still present. I think I'm going to go ahead and install new stock sway bushings and see if that helps. Only other thing left would be LCA's and strut supports. Tried the spray grease thing on the LCA with no positive result.

I prefer the stock ride. I'm an old fart that has missed his LS since he sold it 3 years ago. I also don't want bushings that require regular maintenance like the Daizens.

THe ball joints on both UCA's were bad, which precipitated the repair in the first place. The new caster arms and LCA's did improve ride quality immensely/.

Bought UCa's from Rock Auto and the caster arms from Sewell.
I'm really tired of the squeak though.

Anything else to look at?
Old 08-26-10, 07:06 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey man, are the upper control arms bought from rock auto just as good as the OEM ones that are like $689 at Sewell Lexus? The ones on rock auto are much cheaper. Also, which ones from Rockauto did you get? Does your car ride more comfortable?
Old 08-26-10, 07:30 PM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

they are the Beck/Arnley branded ones. Are they as good as stock? No idea, but I can buy three of them for what one from Sewell cost.
They car rides noticeably smoother without the Daizen bushings installed. Alignment seems to be not affected, but I'll probley take it in once I figure out this squeak.
They bolted right up without any issues. My ball joints were bad on both sides. The left was worse than the left. Bushings were dry where they met the body.
Just wish I could get this damn squeaking to stop.