Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Problem after Brake Pads Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-10, 12:30 PM
GS4K
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem after Brake Pads Change

I changed my front bad pads, everything was pretty simple. Done about 100 Brake jobs. After I put everything back together, I started the car and pumped the brakes. While pumping the brakes I noticed the Brake Petal was getting weaker. Then the Brake, VSC, ABS... Lights came on and a constant beep came on for about 15-30 seconds. After Bleeding the brakes and double/triple checking everything. Same Problem. I decided to take it for a spin. Well it brakes fine when driving. Now everything is fine.

Anyone have this problem??

Maybe my Master Cylinder is going bad??

One additional thing, My Brake reservoir cap seems to be broke. I mean, I try to put in on and it can go beyond the locked position. Keeps spinning. Not sure if the cap is broke, looks fine??
Old 06-07-10, 06:33 AM
GS4K
Driver

Default Car

Forgot to mention I have a 2003 GS430 with 65K miles.
Old 06-07-10, 07:51 AM
runyun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't be driving the car if those are you symptoms.
You could lose all brake pressure somewhere and possibly get into a wreck.

Sounds like a leak of some sort? Or like you mentioned, a brake master problem.

I would be careful
Old 06-07-10, 08:15 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

did you bleed the brakes correctly at least??

ie) for the rear put the key on "ON" and hold the brakes down while the valve is loosen?
Old 06-07-10, 08:28 AM
GS4K
Driver

Default Bleeding

This is the way I always bleed my brakes:

Turn car on, have someone press the Brake pedal. I then release the valve on the caliper. When I see fluid coming out I tighten it up. I did this for all for Calipers.

You see a problem with this Procedure?
Old 06-07-10, 08:37 AM
GS4K
Driver

Default Reservoir Cap

Can someone with a Second Generation GS verify that the Reservoir Cap is suppose to spin past the lock point. I called the dealership and talked to a service rep and the dude said that's how it's designed. Seems wrong to me.

Description of Brake Reservoir Cap issue:

I'm trying to close the Cap by turning it clockwise. I get to a point where the cap has caught the thread is going lower. Then I get to a point where it stops. I gave it an extra turn to make sure it's on good but it turned and became loose. I'm thinking it shouldn't go beyond the point where it stopped. I'm also thinking this is causing my issue with loosing pressure in my brake system. This is just a guess.

But once again, my car is driving fine now. I should just pump my brakes while the car's on to see if I get this problem again??? I'll do this before I bring it in to the dealership this week.
Old 06-07-10, 12:15 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4K
This is the way I always bleed my brakes:

Turn car on, have someone press the Brake pedal. I then release the valve on the caliper. When I see fluid coming out I tighten it up. I did this for all for Calipers.

You see a problem with this Procedure?
is this for the rear brakes?? all you do is put the key on "on" and hold the brakes n the fluid will constantly drain out.

the front brakes are the same as most brakes out there.. press, release, close, repeat... without needing to put it on "on"

Originally Posted by GS4K
Can someone with a Second Generation GS verify that the Reservoir Cap is suppose to spin past the lock point. I called the dealership and talked to a service rep and the dude said that's how it's designed. Seems wrong to me.

Description of Brake Reservoir Cap issue:

I'm trying to close the Cap by turning it clockwise. I get to a point where the cap has caught the thread is going lower. Then I get to a point where it stops. I gave it an extra turn to make sure it's on good but it turned and became loose. I'm thinking it shouldn't go beyond the point where it stopped. I'm also thinking this is causing my issue with loosing pressure in my brake system. This is just a guess.

But once again, my car is driving fine now. I should just pump my brakes while the car's on to see if I get this problem again??? I'll do this before I bring it in to the dealership this week.
if i recall my cap just tightens n im done
Old 06-07-10, 12:34 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

did your brake booster kick in? you can hear it when the ignition is turned to the ON position. it sounds like a mini compressor...and lasts for about 5 - 10 seconds.
Old 06-08-10, 06:02 AM
GS4K
Driver

Default Questions

I changed just the Front pads.

Yes I hear the booster.

Like I said my brakes work fine now. In fact I called two Lexus dealers and both told me my car is fine and not to waste my money. Two different Service Reps told me that if my brakes are working fine I don't need to bring them in. I explain what happened too.

I guess no ones knows about the brake reservoir cap??
Old 06-14-10, 07:03 AM
GS4K
Driver

Default Noise

BTW my front end noise is completely gone now after I changed the brake pads.

I had a Clunking, metal on metal noise at low speeds on turns. I thought it had something to do with the Brakes and I was right. I changed the Bushings and still had the sound, even took it to the dealership. The Service Rep said it's fine and I shouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-14-10, 06:18 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never had to bleed my brake when changing brake pads. It's a few minute job for each corner. I thnk the brake reservoir makes clicking sound once it's tighten and will not tighten further.