Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Someone help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-08, 01:37 PM
Damnnchi
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Someone help please!!!

So I was putting in coilovers in the other night and I unbolted the bolt that connects the upper control arm (shaped like a U) and the steering knuckle so I could get the suspension out. When I put the bolt back on and started tightning it the stud start turning as I was tightning when it shouldnt be. Anyone else here ever had the same problem?! Does anyone know how to fix it so the stud wont turn as I try tightning the bolt? I went to the dealer to see how much a new upper control arm is and they quoted me $430! So therefore thats my last case scenario.

All help will be very appreciated!
Old 09-25-08, 06:59 PM
Damnnchi
Pole Position

nobody knows?
Old 09-25-08, 07:03 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried getting something to hold the bolt in place while tightening the stud?
Old 09-25-08, 08:17 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that usually means your upper ball joint is gone. But if you insist on re-using it, hold the stud in place or try a different castle nut. Make sure the threads and the nut is clean and lubricated as well.
Old 09-25-08, 10:09 PM
Damnnchi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Phamboogie
Have you tried getting something to hold the bolt in place while tightening the stud?
Well I dont think you can just simply hold the bold while tightening the nut.

Originally Posted by ElitistK
that usually means your upper ball joint is gone. But if you insist on re-using it, hold the stud in place or try a different castle nut. Make sure the threads and the nut is clean and lubricated as well.
Can the upper ball joint just be replaced or will I have to get a new upper control arm?
Old 09-25-08, 11:29 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

new arm that joint is not replaceable.
Old 09-28-08, 10:13 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ElitistK
A different castle nut won't make a difference, you risk cross threading if the threads aren't a perfect match and beside what will a different castle nut do but leave you with the same problem? a new OEM one would be a better choice if the threads on the one that you currently have are showing signs of cross threading. if you want (do this at your own risk) try using a c-clamp or some other clamping device and clamp the upper control arm to the steering knuckle, if you can... maybe that will stop the thing from turning on you.. or you can order a new one at carson for $256 witch is probably your better choice.. good luck..

here's the website where u can order:http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214915
Old 09-29-08, 03:36 PM
Damnnchi
Pole Position

I just got a new nut from the dealer today I might just try to impact gun the nut on there. I might also try that c clamp thing. Thanks for all the help guys! Ill keep you guys updated and hopefully post pics soon once my wheels get here.
Old 09-29-08, 09:31 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Default mmmmmphhh...

Originally Posted by whitevomr
I just got a new nut from the dealer today I might just try to impact gun the nut on there. I might also try that c clamp thing. Thanks for all the help guys! Ill keep you guys updated and hopefully post pics soon once my wheels get here.
Man, that castle nut can strip very easy if you put an impact gun on it...you should be able to turn the nut with moderate strength with a wrench, If you insist on using a gun not trying to insult your intelligence, but please make sure you line up the threads first...
make sure the stud is free of grease also..

Last edited by Tank; 10-01-08 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 08:31 PM
Damnnchi
Pole Position

used impact gun today everything is good now. Got the nut on with no problem. Thanks for all the help guys
Old 10-01-08, 05:52 AM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eskaeone
or you can order a new one at carson for $256 witch is probably your better choice.. good luck..

here's the website where u can order:http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214915
Where are you seeing $256? I am seeing 387 for gs300,400....
I remember seeing some for under 300 on auto parts warehouse dot com, but I don't know about the quality...
Old 10-01-08, 08:48 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eskaeone
A different castle nut won't make a difference, you risk cross threading if the threads aren't a perfect match and beside what will a different castle nut do but leave you with the same problem? a new OEM one would be a better choice if the threads on the one that you currently have are showing signs of cross threading. if you want (do this at your own risk) try using a c-clamp or some other clamping device and clamp the upper control arm to the steering knuckle, if you can... maybe that will stop the thing from turning on you.. or you can order a new one at carson for $256 witch is probably your better choice.. good luck..

i meant by a different castle nut from toyota. The front suspension castle nuts for the tie rods and the upper ball joints are the same. I've taken apart different 2gs front suspensions numerous times and a few times i had to try a new castle nut to make be able to thread it onto the upper ball joint properly. I even had to use a filer to "re-thread" some of the parts that were damaged when taking the arms apart. C-clamp won't be very effective in this case. Again make sure the thread and the nut is super clean before threading them on.

oh and each upper control arm is about $380 or so even if you go to Elmhurst Toyota through Supraforums.