Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Stoptech Stage 2 brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 08:15 AM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stoptech Stage 2 brake upgrade

Just wanted to let everyone know about another option for brake upgrades. I haven't seen anyone post about it (although I didn't search for it) so here's my brief review. I got a Stoptech Stage 2 brake upgrade for my GS and I love it. It came with all four rotors, 3 bottles of Motul brake fluid, Axxis pads for all four corners, and all 4 SS lines. I picked it up from buybrakes.com for about $700 including S&H. Quality and fitment is top notch, which I expect from Stoptech. The rotors are Stoptech/Centric rotors, which have a real nice e-black (TM) coating to reduce/eliminate rust. You can get drilled, slotted, or slotted/drilled. I chose drilled. It came with all the necessary hardware, new banjo bolts and whatnot. Install took way too long, about 10 hours. However, I had family visiting while I did the install and painted the calipers as well, which added time for the paint to dry. I also did it outside instead of in the garage, so I was dodging rain the whole time. I assume it could be done in ~3 hours if you didn't have distractions and weren't painting the calipers.

All in all, I'm very happy with it, the performance is outstanding. I'd recommend this as a viable option for anyone looking to replace OEM-sized equipment and get a nice boost in stopping power.
Old 06-30-08, 11:42 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribed ...
Old 02-09-09, 07:28 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Any update on this? How are they working, any warpage, noise, dust, etc?
Old 02-09-09, 08:24 AM
Insedanity
Pole Position

They're working like champs, everybody that drives my car almost goes through the windshield the first time they hit them. No warping, no noise, but dust is a concern. It's not terrible or anything, just more noticeable than stock.

One issue I have noticed is that when I'm driving long distances in wet cold weather and have to hit the brakes, it's like they aren't at 100% for the first 0.5 seconds I'm applying them. Granted, this is what you get with the compounds of more performance-oriented brakes and I realize that and am willing to accept it. It's only happened less than 10 times in this bitter winter, but it is something to think about if you go this route or any perfromance brake pad route.

Would purchase again without hesitation.
Old 02-09-09, 08:57 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Thanks for the quick feedback! Brake dust sucks. What kind of wheels are you running cause I know on my mesh wheels they take forever to clean now as it is. I can only imaging with a high dust pad.
Old 02-09-09, 09:14 AM
Insedanity
Pole Position

I'm running these:

Go to autozone, they have a ton of different types of wheel brushes that shouldn't make cleaning that mesh too bad.
Old 02-09-09, 09:46 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wheel wax or poorboys world wheel sealant will make a huge difference. I polish the wheels about once every 6 weeks and then apply the poorboys or wheel wax and it makes cleaning them in between polishings very easy. The brake dust comes right off with a wash mitt and all I have to do is dry them. I am using the axxis ultimate pads on my stoptech bbk, there is a normal amount of brake dust, not a huge amount.
Old 02-09-09, 11:20 AM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

"Stage 2" ? what was "stage 1" $700? could have got you the Supra TT calipers
Old 02-09-09, 12:25 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeXaNoMicS

I honestly can't remember what Stage 1 was, maybe just rotors and pads, no lines or fluid, but I'm just guessing here.

It was $700 for all 4 corners with the Stage 2. IIRC, the Supra TT caliper kit is $900 and is only the front. Plus, I gotta throw the stock 16's and the Yokohama Iceguards on during the winter and wouldn't of been able to fit them under the stock wheels.
Old 02-10-09, 10:53 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LeXaNoMicS
yeah then u need bigger rims to mount over them, and rear pads/rotors/brake lines and fluid

the supra kit is normally just the front calipers/pads/rotors/lines

this stoptech kit seemed very complete.

ne pics?
Old 02-10-09, 11:11 AM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Nice post, good to see you realize why this kit is attractive for those of us that have to deal with inclimate weather.

I don't believe I have any pics and the car is filthy this time of year. I'll try and post some up when the weather changes and the rims are put back on...and hopefully some Bilsteins and Eibachs.
Old 02-10-09, 05:21 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many miles do you have on the pads?
Old 02-10-09, 06:08 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Post some more pix..
Old 02-10-09, 08:28 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by Insedanity
Go to autozone, they have a ton of different types of wheel brushes that shouldn't make cleaning that mesh too bad.
Originally Posted by GS300Rich
wheel wax or poorboys world wheel sealant will make a huge difference. I polish the wheels about once every 6 weeks and then apply the poorboys or wheel wax and it makes cleaning them in between polishings very easy. The brake dust comes right off with a wash mitt and all I have to do is dry them. I am using the axxis ultimate pads on my stoptech bbk, there is a normal amount of brake dust, not a huge amount.
Its not that cleaning my wheels is difficult, its just time consuming. I put Collinite 845 on my wheels and use 4 diff brushes to clean them. Dirt and dust come off easy enough but you still have to wash and dry in every slot and crevice otherwise stuff get left behind. It really comes down to a bunch of tight corners.

Originally Posted by JoelGs
Post some more pix..
Insedanity, Lets see some pics of those rotors behind your wheels.
Old 02-12-09, 10:52 AM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MJImport
How many miles do you have on the pads?
About 12K.

I'll put pics up in Spring when I put the rims back on and clean the car well.