Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LS400 vs TT calipers

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-07, 05:03 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 vs TT calipers

Alright everyone I've been browsing and I have come to realize that everyone and their mom has posted a thread about the LS and TT calipers. Everyone wants to know which ones are better and which ones weigh less and which ones are the route to go with and which ones will help you balance your check book and which ones will help your third grader with his math homework. I decided to post a thread where everyone that has done either the LS swap or the TT swap, can post info on it. Please only post if you have done the swap, don't post questions!! This thread is to inform those who haven't done it, how you feel about your setup and of course, shed some light on which setup is better.

I personally went with the LS calipers because I got a NASTY hook up on the calipers and rotors, I polished the calipers and got SS lines. I must say in comparison to the stock calipers, this is a HUGE improvement. The LS calipers weigh 9 pounds each. The swap was a piece of cake, just remove the dust shield and everything else is a breeze. Overall cost was right at $200. I know you can go to O'riellys and get the calipers for like $60 each and they'll take your NA calipers for the core exchange.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by drft_n_sc; 10-14-07 at 07:13 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-06-07, 05:22 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by drft_n_sc
The LS calipers weigh 6 pounds each.
Loaded? I knew the LS is lighter but you've found the lightest know LS calipers in existence per http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html#029:

"OEM Lexus SC400 Brake Specifications caliper 2 piston 17.5 lbs. rotor 11.65 inch 20 lbs. rotor thickness 1.26 inch

OEM 95-00 LS400 Brake Upgrade ($300 to $500) caliper4 piston 9 lbs.rotor 12.4 inch, dk lbs. rotor thickness 1.26 inch

OEM 93-98 Supra Turbo Brake Upgrade ($500 to $1000) caliper 4 piston 15 lbs. rotor 12.72 inch 20 lbs. rotor thickness 1.26 inch"

I've got the Supra TT set up. Monster brakes, great oem pads, quite satisfied but would take a hard look at the LS set up to reduce weight. Hopefully all the weights discussed here are loaded calipers with pads.
Old 10-06-07, 05:27 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

Hahahaha you're right! they are 9 pounds each. I'm sorry about that. mistake corrected
Old 10-06-07, 11:16 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently have LS400 front brakes and Supra Turbo rear brakes behind Supra Turbo wheels. The stopping power compared to stock is immense. I don't even want to recall the days when I was on 19's with stock brakes: disaster.

The LS400 brakes are definitely light in comparison to the stock calipers which are iron rather than aluminum. When comparing the LS400 to the Supra Turbo calipers, the 6lb difference per caliper -not being a rotating mass- would have a similar effect on performance as me having or not having my book bag with me in the front seat.

The major justification for the LS400 brakes over the Supra Turbo brakes would be the cost. As mentioned, the entire LS400 swap can be done for ~$300, whereas Supra Turbo calipers alone go for at least that. The Supra Turbo brakes are definitely stronger with slightly larger pad area and a larger rotor diameter; but, the LS400 brakes present a significantly better value as the added punch of the Supra brakes is only marginal when comparing the relative strength of the calipers to stock.

I would strongly suggest either upgrade for anyone rolling on aftermarket wheels, as the greater rotational inertia at the wheels can make stopping difficult. In addition, you can't beat the look of a massive caliper and rotor combination behind any wheel. Once your wheels and tires are rolling at even 5mph, it becomes ten times easier to see right past the wheel to the brakes.

LS400:
- Light
- Cost Effective

Supra Turbo:
- Marginally more powerful
- More rotor/pad options
Old 10-06-07, 11:24 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ps. If you are on stock wheels, the LS400 upgrade with spacers is your only option since the Supra Turbo rotors are sufficiently large enough to not clear 16" wheels.