Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear brake pads from Tirerack

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 12:14 PM
kmaynard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear brake pads from Tirerack

Look like may have gotten the wrong pads. Before I yank off one of the rears to look, can someone tell me if the brake pads on the rear are vastly different looking than the ones on the front axle? I've never seen pads like this before, and have done brake jobs on most my previous cars.

I got a box with these tiny looking, 3 inch by 3 inch things, not a normal looking pad.

I'll yank a wheel when I get home, but curiosity is killing me.
Old 08-01-07, 05:05 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Na man you got the right ones. Take a look at the difference in caliper size from front to back.
Old 08-02-07, 07:29 AM
kmaynard
Driver School Candidate

Holy crap, those rear pads are are small. I was used to my SC brakes, I guess. Haven't done the front, did the back last night.

The bolts were frozen up on the right side, so changed the pads without taking off the caliper. Bet nobody's done that, eh? Had to carefully use a slim flat metal to slide in (not touching the rotor) and put a clamp on the outside of it, pulling against it with my one hand, and tightened down the calipers with the other.

Wondering now if front are dual piston, like my SC had. Will find out tonight.
Old 08-02-07, 07:33 AM
Rare1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kmaynard
Holy crap, those rear pads are are small. I was used to my SC brakes, I guess. Haven't done the front, did the back last night.

The bolts were frozen up on the right side, so changed the pads without taking off the caliper. Bet nobody's done that, eh? Had to carefully use a slim flat metal to slide in (not touching the rotor) and put a clamp on the outside of it, pulling against it with my one hand, and tightened down the calipers with the other.

Wondering now if front are dual piston, like my SC had. Will find out tonight.
You didn't turn your rotors? You're pretty much certain to get some vibration from not turning them. When doing the pads it's best to get the rotors resurfaced to make sure you don't have vibration problems. The pad on the back are smaller because when stopping the front past really do most of the work.
Old 08-06-07, 07:50 AM
kmaynard
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I know the front does the work (but thanks anyway), but I've never had a car with such small brake pads in the rear, regardless.

The rotors were slick, didn't find anything dragging my fingernail across both sides. So I didn't see the point.

And no vibrations yet. The pads were only about 50% worn, the only reason I changed them was that the idiots at the deale tried doing them with my 30k checkup, said I "really needed new brake pads." Once I got the first set out, I went ahead and changed them, although had I measured first, I would have left them alone for another set of months.