Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Uneven driver side rear l tuned S/S issues LOWER then rest of car!... help? please?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 06:21 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Uneven driver side rear l tuned S/S issues LOWER then rest of car!... help? please?!

hey guys.. my rear driverside is practically tucking -while the passengerside as well as the rest of the car is just about level with a pinky sized gap between the tire and the fender...the rear driverside is atleast an inch lower then that... whats causing this? i just got the ltuned s/s from carson when they had that buy going on (about a year ago?) and never put a lot of miles on the car or had any type of accidents or bottom outs anywhere... the cars been jacked up and checked out, the springs are seated properly and the shocks arent leaking anything... ANY common reasons why this might be like this...i showed my friend who owns a bmw and he blew it off as "fine, its the way the weight is transfered throughout the car more on that corner so it sits a little lower" ehh... i dunno about all that ive seen tons of GS's on here with equal lowering on all four corners...lots of guys have coilovers but there are also a bunch with l tuned s/s...its pissing me off so much and i cant have the car laid up waiting to replace shocks that im about to go ghetto and buy one of those rubber mr gasket spring boosters that you slip between the spring to bump up the height so its even... but id still rather figure out the real issue... maybe CARSON can chime in and offer a solution and possible replacement....but the only way thats going to work is if i am sent the shocks so i can have them replaced at the shop, then send back the defective ones afterward.. ill post up pics in an hour so you can see....
Old 09-07-06, 01:17 AM
V8Lexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i havent done my suspension yet but i have all the diagrams of the GS suspension, are ALL of the same parts installed on both sides? if you're missing a spacer or some bushing or something it could cause that. do you have your bumpstop spacer installed on the side thats sitting lower? i know that piece is about 1inch thick from top of spring to underside of upper strut mount.
Old 09-07-06, 04:43 AM
RacerLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a full tank of gas? Gas tank is on the drivers side I think, which could attribute it being a little lower on that side. Also going with springs/shocks as opposed to coilovers, you don't have control over how the springs will settle. That's another reason to go with coilovers since you can make adjustments to level the ride height. Even a stock GS has uneven height but if you're really off by an inch, that's pretty dramatic.
Old 09-09-06, 10:47 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Hate to say this but your GS sits the same way stock and it's more evident when you lower it. The Gen 1 IS is the same exact way. I guarantee if you measure all wheel gaps of a stock GS or IS both old and new, you will see one side will be higher than the other. The real fix for this would obviously be coilovers so you can adjust height accoringly. Or you can find a set of shocks that have adjustable perches for you to adjust height accordingly. This is not a manufacturing defect or anything. It's how the shock tower mounts are positioned and angled. Good luck!
Old 09-10-06, 08:51 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Hate to say this but your GS sits the same way stock and it's more evident when you lower it. The Gen 1 IS is the same exact way. I guarantee if you measure all wheel gaps of a stock GS or IS both old and new, you will see one side will be higher than the other. The real fix for this would obviously be coilovers so you can adjust height accoringly. Or you can find a set of shocks that have adjustable perches for you to adjust height accordingly. This is not a manufacturing defect or anything. It's how the shock tower mounts are positioned and angled. Good luck!
well thats kind of nice to hear i guess...least my l tuned stuffs not bad then?... i wonder why noone else ever brings it up... its definitely obvious...well im not buying the coilovers right now so i spent 10 bucks on one of those rubber mr. gasket spring boosters that slip in between the spring all the way around one coil, supposedly bumps it up .75 to 1 inch, just for that one corner... we'll see, if that doesnt make it look right ill just throw it away and deal with it till i get coilovers. in a way though if you think about it, it IS a manufacturing defect.. why the hell would the car be built so it never sits evenly, thats absolutely obnoxious
Old 09-10-06, 09:42 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

All cars are built that way. It just doesn't look evident at stock height. People have brought this up for several years now but it's been a discussion that doesn't really bother much. Especially those who switch to coilovers. Be careful with those "spring boosters", you basically are messing with that one spring's rate of movement at which all the springs are matched together accordingly. Handling and safety is always first before looks.

Last edited by flipside909; 09-10-06 at 09:45 AM.