Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Solution To Brake Noise Found! (tested On 2 Different 2is's)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 07:49 PM
IS-250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution To Brake Noise Found! (tested On 2 Different 2is's)

Here it goes. I took delivery of a IS250 AWD in April and noticed really bad squeeling about a month after I got it. After repeated nagging and complaing at the dealer, I got the service manager to replace all 4 of my pads and rotors. The sound was gone for about 2 weeks but came back much, much worse and Lexus could not figure out what the problem was. I was headed up north (4 hour drive) to my cottage and needed an oil change so i went to my regular mechanic and told him about the brakes. He printed me off a sheet of paper when my car was done that had the procedure for "bedding-in" my brakes. Basically, from what i understand, it is applying a layer of the pad material to your rotors evenly to avoid the vibrations and un-even spots which cause the squeeling. I did it on my car and tested it on my friend's IS250 AWD which had the same problem and it is now 2 weeks later and the noise has yet to come back. I have written up the procedure below and I cannot warn you enough that you should not do this in any sort of conjested area and this should be done while exercising extreme caution. It is very important that there is no traffic where you are and that there are a minima amount of traffic lights (not only for safety, but also for this procedure to work right)

Steps:

1) Start out by getting the car up to around 50-60 MPH and braking to arounf 20-30 MPH slowly a few times to get the brakes heated up. Do this with normal/light pressure.

2) Speed up to 60MPH and brake very hard to bring the car down to about 10 MPH (just under the pressure required to activate ABS).

3) Repeat step 2 8-10 times quickly without allowing much time for the brakes to cool down. (Basically, I kept flooring it, braking down to 10MPH, then flooring it again). It is very important that you do not allow the car to stop when braking, take it down to 10MPH then take off again.

4) After repeating about 10 times, drive on a stretch road at about 50 MPH for about 6-7 minutes allowing the brakes to cool.

5) Repeat step 2 another 10 times

6) Repeat step 4

7) If required, repeat step 2 10 more times and step 4.

* Note, I cannot stress how important it is that you do not stop the car by holding the brake, this will screw up the whole thing. If you need to stop the car at a light or something, bring the car to a rolling stop then put the car in neutral or anything else that you need to do to stop the brakes from being held to keep the car stopped.

Has anyone else tried this? I have and it is definately a worthwhile procedure. You are suppose to do it in cooler temperatures so I did it at around 1 AM on a stretch of road about 15 miles long in farm land.
Old 08-28-06, 07:59 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=bedding

I've been saying this all along.
Old 08-28-06, 08:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Who would believe the manufacturer's recommended break-in might not work, but the procedure recommended by brake manufacturers around the world would? Inconceivable!
Old 11-10-07, 11:27 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Ack. My brakes have developed a pretty nasty squealing lately when coming to a stop. I'm not sure if i want to try the bedding in procedure... 1. I'll probably end up needing new brakes after thats complete... and 2. Living in Los Angeles good luck...

I might goto the dealer and ask them to perform the TSB for the excessive brake dust now that the brakes are really annoying the heck out of me... its embarrassing... a "expensive Lexus" squealing I get crap from co-workers who drive cheaper cars that dont squeal...
Old 11-19-07, 09:20 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

You guys need to clean and lube the brake pads (between the shims and backing plate) with a moly-sulfide grease and clean and lube the fitting kit with the special white toyota brake grease. I think this is the source of your noise.

Bedding in your rotors has nothing to do with your brake pads. It has to do with "seasoning" the rotors and making them last longer.

-Joe
Old 11-19-07, 10:52 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

any tips on a good location to go 60 to 10 repetitivly without getting slammed in the back or run off the road?
Old 08-23-09, 01:32 AM
firstrival
Driver School Candidate

I can vouch for this procedure. I just did it and it worked like a charm.