Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Use of e-brake on the IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 01:22 PM
Seattle350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use of e-brake on the IS350?

I only use my e-brake when parking on hills etc. - never use it in parking garages or my own garage or any flat surfaces - my buddy tells me this puts excessive pressure on the tranny...
Thoughts?
Old 05-08-06, 01:34 PM
XKronite
Driver School Candidate

Is he saying that using the brake puts excessive pressure on the tranny or NOT using it does? I always use it. I'm under the impression that it relieves/eliminates the pressure that "park" is under if the car happens to move (roll, etc.). Ever notice after you put it in Park the car rolls just a little before it stops after you release the regular brake? I put the P brake on before I release the reg brake and then put it in Park.
Old 05-08-06, 01:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It shouldn't make that much difference on flat surfaces, but it will definately make a difference on hills or sloping streets.

The difference will be negligible on flat surfaces. Don't worry about the car too much, but rather enjoy it!
Old 05-08-06, 01:35 PM
mikewpu04
Driver

I have accidently driven once on my ebrake for about 3 seconds. (the car freaked out right away). But it seemed like it didn't really stop the car that much as I gave it a little gas. Is the parking brake that strong on the 2IS? I know on my Grand AM the car would NOT move if u tried it.

Never heard of excess pressure on the tranny but i could be wrong...
Old 05-08-06, 01:39 PM
Seattle350
Rookie

[QUOTE=XKronite]Is he saying that using the brake puts excessive pressure on the tranny or NOT using it does?

Excessive pressure on the tranny if e-brake is NOT engaged...
Old 05-08-06, 01:44 PM
mikewpu04
Driver

[QUOTE=Seattle350]
Originally Posted by XKronite
Is he saying that using the brake puts excessive pressure on the tranny or NOT using it does?

Excessive pressure on the tranny if e-brake is NOT engaged...
Ohh that makes more sense...
Old 05-08-06, 04:12 PM
DanIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikewpu04
I have accidently driven once on my ebrake for about 3 seconds. (the car freaked out right away). But it seemed like it didn't really stop the car that much as I gave it a little gas. Is the parking brake that strong on the 2IS? I know on my Grand AM the car would NOT move if u tried it.

Never heard of excess pressure on the tranny but i could be wrong...
Hmm...How far down are you pushing on the e-brake? I push pretty deep and the car is PLANTED.
Old 05-08-06, 05:13 PM
larsdenner
Driver School Candidate

The Tranny is plenty strong to hold the vehicle. The parking brake, since it is cable operated, doesn't have the leverage like applying the hydraulic pistons but makes for a reliable emergency brake should the main system fail. On a stick shift a parking brake is mandatory. Simply putting a the stick in first gear on a hill is a recipe for disaster. The cylinders slowly bleed down in the engine and the car creeps down the hill.

I once had a Master brake cylinder fail in Baja on a Toyota FJ40 in the middle of nowwhere. We had to drive home dirt roads using engine braking and the ebrake to stop. On occasion, we couldn't stop completely and had to aim for an embankment. Even at very low speed, hitting an embankment was a pretty harsh stop. Lucily FJ's are bult like tanks.
Old 05-08-06, 05:44 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use it when ever I'm on the hill. You don't have the car to slip and change gear. That might hurt your tranny a bit.
Old 05-08-06, 07:57 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely use the parking brake if I were parking on a hill or incline. Here in Florida, it's so flat, so it's really not necessary.
Old 05-08-06, 10:06 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haveing a family owned tranny buisness for 11 years. I can say i have never repaired or rebuilt a tranny cuz of parking paw problem. There is a fat steel PAW and gear. I have never see one brake or get worn out or anything like that. Trannys brake do wear on clutchs, lack of lube or bushing/ bearing failure. Not putting on the e-brake on level surface is fine. Steep hills i would do it for saftey incase the paw doesnt completely enguage, or falls out (which i have heard stories/ rumors but never seen happen). #1 one reason to make people but the E-brake on before relaseing the regular brake. So there is no load on the the paw. When there is no load on the paw it pops out easy. And it dont make that clank nosie or move the car and its released. And altho this dont cause any problems people think the cars falling apart cuz it made that noise and they feel something wrong. The auto shops and dealers get flooded with worried customers that think somthign wrong with there car.
So personally i dont put it on unless im driving a stick or parking on a steep hill (one which i turns the wheels toward the curb too).
Old 05-09-06, 07:11 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by integlikew
Haveing a family owned tranny buisness for 11 years. I can say i have never repaired or rebuilt a tranny cuz of parking paw problem. There is a fat steel PAW and gear. I have never see one brake or get worn out or anything like that. Trannys brake do wear on clutchs, lack of lube or bushing/ bearing failure. Not putting on the e-brake on level surface is fine. Steep hills i would do it for saftey incase the paw doesnt completely enguage, or falls out (which i have heard stories/ rumors but never seen happen). #1 one reason to make people but the E-brake on before relaseing the regular brake. So there is no load on the the paw. When there is no load on the paw it pops out easy. And it dont make that clank nosie or move the car and its released. And altho this dont cause any problems people think the cars falling apart cuz it made that noise and they feel something wrong. The auto shops and dealers get flooded with worried customers that think somthign wrong with there car.
So personally i dont put it on unless im driving a stick or parking on a steep hill (one which i turns the wheels toward the curb too).
Good and accurate writeup. One correction though: the part that immobilizes the transmission in Park is called a "pawl" not a "paw".