Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Quiet Brake Pads Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 12:25 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Quiet Brake Pads Needed.

I changed my pads and rotors about 6 months ago from factory to drilled and slotted with Axxis Metal Master (I think, its been a while).

They have Hella-BITE but they make the nastiest sound. At first I thought, "They just need to be broken in"....well its been six months and they're still loud. Hardly any brake dust but the sound is embarassing.

Could you guys suggest some other pads? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-20-05, 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

metal master they are more aggressive pads i think. if you want no dust and few noise, i think you should do the axxis deluxe

or you can try ebc green stuff
Old 09-20-05, 01:13 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont forget that when you do pads and brakes at the same time, then switch out something like just the pad, you will more than likely end up with even more noise or squeeking then you had before. the pads and rotors sort of "seat" with eachother if you may, and if you dont change both at the same time you could have issues. me for instance just last month. i had the stock gs400 rotors and stock pads on which i thought were fine (but the pads were pretty worn down), threw on the satisfied pro ceramic pads i got from tirerack (praised up and down for their minimal dust and extremely quiet operation)...well obviously just to **** me off, the whole setup started squeeling to all hell ever time i pushed the brake pedal down at moderate speed, also started hearing a kind of gritting noise when the car was coming to a full stop. i waited a month to see if they would break in, put like 2000 miles on them - didnt help. just this past weekend when i put the l tuned suspension in i did brand new brembo rotors on all four corners. the combination of the satisfied pro pads, goodrich s/s lines and brembo rotors now has the gs stopping QUICK. its perfectly quiet now and there is barely any visible brake dust between washes.... seriously though just wanted to give you a heads up on the issue you may run into when you JUST swap the pads out and not the rotors. not saying it will happen to everyone but it does happen and its a pain in the ***
Old 09-20-05, 02:20 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks Rom and Upstate.

My rotors are in great condition so I would be throwing away money to get a new set after 6 mos of use .

I'll try a new set of pads first and see what happens <fingers crossed>.
Old 09-20-05, 02:56 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darius2010
Thanks Rom and Upstate.

My rotors are in great condition so I would be throwing away money to get a new set after 6 mos of use .

I'll try a new set of pads first and see what happens <fingers crossed>.
You might have noticed myself and others talk about Custom Alignment in Mtn. View. I have been going to them for over 25 years and they know cars. When I was in last time I talked to them about brakes for my GS. They handle aftermarket components so I was a little surprised when they said they would get Lexus parts. They said that after a lot of years, and customer complaints, they stick with factory parts unless the guy is really adamant and agrees to not blame them for the results with the aftermarket parts. Made up my mind, life is to short to go around squealing and grunching your way to a stop.
Old 09-20-05, 03:27 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RON430
You might have noticed myself and others talk about Custom Alignment in Mtn. View. I have been going to them for over 25 years and they know cars. When I was in last time I talked to them about brakes for my GS. They handle aftermarket components so I was a little surprised when they said they would get Lexus parts. They said that after a lot of years, and customer complaints, they stick with factory parts unless the guy is really adamant and agrees to not blame them for the results with the aftermarket parts. Made up my mind, life is to short to go around squealing and grunching your way to a stop.
Thanks Ron! Seems like everyone up here in NorCal swears by Custom Alignment. What are the factory pads so I can order a set?

Thanks!
Old 09-20-05, 04:39 PM
StopTech
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Darius2010
I changed my pads and rotors about 6 months ago from factory to drilled and slotted with Axxis Metal Master (I think, its been a while).

They have Hella-BITE but they make the nastiest sound. At first I thought, "They just need to be broken in"....well its been six months and they're still loud. Hardly any brake dust but the sound is embarassing.

Could you guys suggest some other pads? Thanks in advance.
Try bedding in the pads. it's a process that we use for max performance. 75% of the time this will solve the squealing issue and you don't even need to buy new pads.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml

There are guys who run pads which are more aggressive and don't have any noise issues. Driving the pads with normal driving will not bed in the pads. In fact it has a tendency to unbed the pads and cause the squealing.
Old 09-21-05, 01:15 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
metal master they are more aggressive pads i think. if you want no dust and few noise, i think you should do the axxis deluxe

or you can try ebc green stuff
What's up Darius? You haven't been making it to any or the norcal meets lately.

on axxis deluxe, just got them on. So far so good, no noise and good bite.

Ron