IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Break Squeal Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-15, 12:09 AM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Break Squeal Suggestion

What brake pads do you guys suggest I switch to? I've had my F for about a little over a month and can't handle the brake squeak anymore. It squeaks from any speed when I'm coming to a stop and braking harder/softer doesn't stop it either. It's 110 degrees daily here so I know the brakes are definitely warm and still squeak. When I took the car in a month ago to check how much life I have on the rotors and pads they said I have about 5,000 miles left on the rotors and the pads were fine. I'm in the market for a set of pads that don't squeak (or maybe a fix where I don't have to change the pads) and that have the same performance as the factory pads. Also if they have some that emit less dust that'd be great too... Thanks in advance everyone
Old 07-17-15, 03:30 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I run stop tech pads..no squeek for me.

You can remove your pads and add anti squeek grease to the backing and reinstall. It's a very easy job, all you need is basic hand tools.
Old 07-17-15, 04:22 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

+1 for Stoptech. I have them on all 4. Confidence and no noise.
Old 07-17-15, 05:56 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
+1 for Stoptech. I have them on all 4. Confidence and no noise.
+1 and another.
Old 07-17-15, 06:24 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran Stoptech all around for a year and a half. Brakes were great but I could never get rid of noise at low speed even after reinstalling to make sure they had proper anti-squeal applied. I just switched to Bosch QuietCast Ceramic. Less than 500 miles so far but absolutely no noise and extremely low dusting. Haven't had a chance to push them hard yet but for daily driving I'm extremely happy.
Old 07-17-15, 06:36 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Any downside to ceramic pads? Are their cold stop ability as good as the Stoptech's?
Old 07-17-15, 06:51 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vervish
Any downside to ceramic pads? Are their cold stop ability as good as the Stoptech's?
Initial bite is slightly reduced which I actually prefer for daily commuting (I spend most of my time in traffic). but seems comparable to Stoptech under heavy braking.
Old 07-17-15, 07:07 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
Initial bite is slightly reduced which I actually prefer for daily commuting (I spend most of my time in traffic). but seems comparable to Stoptech under heavy braking.
Hmmm.... I just did my brakes and must've missed these pads in my research. I'm one of those willing to sacrifice bite as well for less dust. Hardly ANY difference between StopTech and OEM dust wise, maybe 10-20% less. Otherwise I'm happy with StopTech.

I really, really wanted to refinish my rims after this brake job too, but the dust is making me think otherwise.
Old 07-17-15, 07:29 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
Hmmm.... I just did my brakes and must've missed these pads in my research. I'm one of those willing to sacrifice bite as well for less dust. Hardly ANY difference between StopTech and OEM dust wise, maybe 10-20% less. Otherwise I'm happy with StopTech.

I really, really wanted to refinish my rims after this brake job too, but the dust is making me think otherwise.
There's not a lot of ISF specific reviews on this one yet but overall seems to be positive so I thought I would bite the bullet to see. Fronts are BC1365 and rears are BP1366.

I had same experience with stop tech dusting. I couldn't really tell a difference. So during the install I did a full Sonax scrub to get them back to new. Almost 300 miles since last wash and rims look great. Just need to push them in the twisties soon.
Old 07-17-15, 09:09 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I just switched to Hawk performance street, no issues with noise, and dust is considerably less than OEM pads. However, from what ive read on this forum, if i were to do it again i would probably go Project Mu.
Old 07-17-15, 11:34 AM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone for your help, I'll look into your suggestions!
Old 07-17-15, 02:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

In my experience the oem pads are still going to be the quietest . The IS has a TSIB for rear brake noise but they will not help you if you are off warranty.
Old 07-17-15, 11:12 PM
V8Lex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had my OEM replaced with TSB OEM front pads. Not as much ''bite'' but its as quiet as a normal car now.
Old 07-18-15, 08:26 AM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FNSSESPORT
I just switched to Hawk performance street, no issues with noise, and dust is considerably less than OEM pads. However, from what ive read on this forum, if i were to do it again i would probably go Project Mu.
I replaced mine with Project Mu and the squeaking diminished considerably with much less dusting. WIN-WIN
Old 07-18-15, 08:32 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SatComm302
I replaced mine with Project Mu and the squeaking diminished considerably with much less dusting. WIN-WIN
Yeah, I'm impressed with how little dust the Project Mu pads make. Even after a couple weeks without cleaning, it's barely noticeable. The downside is they don't grip as well as the OEM pads, but I think it's an acceptable trade off for daily street use. Especially if you like your car to stay clean

-Mike

Quick Reply: Break Squeal Suggestion