Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Eibachs !!! ( stock shocks what will this setup do for handling height and ride )

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-05, 06:10 PM
Mrbig
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Eibachs !!! ( stock shocks what will this setup do for handling height and ride )

With stock shocks what will this setup do for handling height and ride ???
Old 05-26-05, 08:08 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

This was my first setup. The ride was not much less than the stock ride to be honest. My car only had around 20k miles so not sure how a car with more miles will ride. The springs lowered the car around 1" all around. It wasnt a bad kit for the price but coilovers are worth every penny to me.
Old 05-27-05, 07:49 AM
Mrbig
Lead Lap

Question Springs !!!

So it drove just like stock how long did you drive with that setup ???
Old 05-27-05, 01:27 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I had it on for roughly four months and had no problems. With that drop it wasnt a problem to get the alignment to spec
Old 05-27-05, 08:59 PM
KRGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the Eibach Pro Kit with Stock shocks: Lexus Ride was still there, Still plush over speed bumps and much tighter on the expressway but...

20K miles later the stock shocks started sqeaking ie..no compression (bound/dampening) so if you can get some shocks like LTuned or even better the Bilstein Sports...it will be worth the wait.
Old 05-27-05, 10:13 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrbig
I also did this exact mod. Eibach with stock shocks.
I got about an inch or so as well. No complaints about the drop at all, I'm very happy considering it's about $700 cheaper than some coilovers.
I also found the ride to be still very nice and smooth, which is exactly what I wanted.

After a year almost, I'm still happy and intend to get Ltuned or Bilstein shocks soon. I just don't think that the stock shocks are properly dampened for this lower ride height. The car has bad bump steer with aggressive cornering. If the body didn't lean so much, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to me. I recently got the front strut tower bar, and hope to get the Daizan swaybars soon too. The swaybar should keep it from 'rolling over' in the harder corners.

Here's my old 'report', after installing the Eibachs.

_______________________________-

My friend and I started the installation around 4:20pm and ended around 8:45pm.
That includes reading of instructions, taking our time, before and after pictures and a test drive.
We didn’t encounter any real difficulties at all really. It was actually fairly straight-forward, but then again, we’ve both worked on our own cars for many years. Also, there was no need to remove the caliper, as the manual suggests. (we didn’t do it)
We *did* use a quality set of ‘outside-the-spring’ style of spring-compressor, but, we did not use a special tool for the upper A-arm/ball joint separation from the steering knuckle.
Don’t cringe, but a few good whacks with a good hammer did the trick. (California car, no rust)

The initial test drive was only 5 min. or so around the suburb. Plenty of swaying through imaginary cones and a few wide U-turns in both directions going a litter faster than would be usual and a few hard braking moves completed the initial test.
I had no creaks, groans, rubs, thuds or anything like that. Yea! We apparently got everything tightened back up right!

RIDE AND DRIVE REPORT:
For the most part, these Eibach springs perform exactly as I expected they would. That makes me happy. I would have ‘wished’ they were a bit stiffer, but, all in all, I would much rather have the springs be a little too soft than a little too hard!

Straight-line driving in town, or on the interstate is, to me, exactly as stock. I live in Dayton Ohio so our roads are decent, but we have snow and cold winters so the roads are certainly not perfect. It was only when hitting a good sized bump that I could feel more harshness than the stock springs. This type of bump is only felt very infrequently so I have no complaints there at all.

Slalom test: Yeah, I used imaginary cones again, but I thought the car was noticeably more responsive. This could be the lower CG or the progressive-rate springs. Either way, I enjoyed it!

Clover-leaf on-ramp test: I need to do more testing here. I keep getting stuck behind Buicks or finding ramps with construction dirt on them. In my testing so far, I’d have to say that in moderate to slightly aggressive driving, the car does not seem to have as much initial body roll. If you’re being really aggressive, then *Yes*, the car does exhibit the stock-like body roll. (no complaints here, just an initial observation.)

Braking nose-dive: Seems to be very noticeably less! Very happy here as well!

Match of Eibach springs to stock shock/strut dampening leaves a little to be desired if driving aggressively AND over roads with undulations in them. This is my INITIAL experience. I was at about 65-75 through some sweepers that had these undulations that I was UNAWARE of. The car DID NOT like them. It was as if the car was wiggling through that turn! It stuck, but the wiggle was very unsettling. It seemed as if the springs were doing one thing and the shocks were doing another AS I was RACING through the corner. If I had been driving normally, I’m sure it would have behaved perfectly fine.

I paid $239 and I’m happy with what I got for the price. I can see the need here for some anti-sway bar improvements, and with that I’ll probably have the cornering level that I am looking for while still retaining ride quality.

My only complaint, really, is that I think the car should have an extra ¼” drop up front, or at least a ¼” difference between the front and the back. I may still do this at some point.
As measured in these pictures, the top of the wheelwell in front was 26 3/8” and the rear was 26” even. When parked in certain places, it seems very noticeable to me. If you look at other cars in the Gallery or on other sites and video’s, you can see the trend. It almost becomes obvious which cars have adjustable coil-overs. (in my remote judgement)

These pics were taken with a Video Camera so quality is probably not quite up to Dig. Camera specs. My friend has some pics with his Dig. Camera that I hope to post up soon. In the mean time, here are my pics.

PS: On the ride home late that night after a good Frickers hang-out, I was on the Interstate heading home. I'm rolling along around 70-75mph or so in the middle lane with very light traffic and I noticed a dark red, convertible GT Mustang slowly roll up on my left. (his top is up, windows up)
I let him roll by, then I eased into the gas, and before you know it, we're pedal to the metal for "ahem" a really long time. It was really close, almost a dead heat.
We came upon some traffic and slowed down,....and about 30-40 seconds later we were in the open again. We both hit it again but this time I get SERIOUS and close my windows and sunroof to reduce the drag. I put a good 3 or more car lengths on him that time! Good times, Good times.
Old 05-28-05, 05:58 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrbig
Yeah, as everyone says they will ride much better, get rid of the "float" and give an OEM type ride. They will wear out the stock shocks though, and when they are worn out it will be magnified much more than if you had stock springs, due to the frequency at which the springs cycle.

Last edited by DoubleWhoosh; 05-29-05 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-29-05, 08:14 AM
Mrbig
Lead Lap

Default Eibach ???

Okay, thanks for all the info prolly will do eibachs and Bilstein shocks then to make sure no problems occur.........