Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Spring installation problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-05, 01:54 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring installation problem

I had l-tuned springs and shocks installed a couple of month ago.
I was getting a tire rotation done at a shop and noticed something that didn't look right with rear right side spring. The guy at the shop said this could be dangerous, but another guy from another shop said it's ok to drive without fixing it. Basically, the spring is not seated all the way to the stop where there is a curved part to hold the spring in place.
Attached Thumbnails Spring installation problem-dsc01757.jpg  
Old 05-27-05, 01:55 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Picture of the left side where the spring is installed correctly.
Attached Thumbnails Spring installation problem-dsc01758.jpg  
Old 05-27-05, 01:57 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Does anyone know if the spring can uncoil itself over time or this is installed wrong to begin with. Is it possible for the spring to come off the mounting plate if not seated correctly?
Old 05-27-05, 02:03 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Closeup from a better angle.
Attached Thumbnails Spring installation problem-dsc01760.jpg  
Old 05-28-05, 05:52 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not dangerous at all, but definitely sloppy on the install.

If anything, it could cause that side of the car to sit slightly higher.

If the top seat were able to rotate a little that might fix itself over time, but the upper rubber seat is not going to let the spring turn while under pressure on the shock.

Basically, you can leave it or fix it

TM Engineering
Old 05-28-05, 08:38 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

DoubleWhoosh

Thanks for your info.
I guess what you mean is that the spring's top mount has rubber so it won't turn by itself over time, right?

Is it possible to turn the spring if I use compressor while the car is jacked up?
I actually asked this question to mechnics at both shops, but they said s/s have to come out to fix.
I see that there isn't too much load on the spring when the car is jacked up, especially l-tuned is 1 inch shorter than OEM. I don't see why it cannot be compressed just enough to rotate unless the top mount holds the spring in place even without the load.
Old 05-29-05, 12:31 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gs4rocks
DoubleWhoosh

Thanks for your info.
I guess what you mean is that the spring's top mount has rubber so it won't turn by itself over time, right?

Is it possible to turn the spring if I use compressor while the car is jacked up?
I actually asked this question to mechnics at both shops, but they said s/s have to come out to fix.
I see that there isn't too much load on the spring when the car is jacked up, especially l-tuned is 1 inch shorter than OEM. I don't see why it cannot be compressed just enough to rotate unless the top mount holds the spring in place even without the load.
Yes, that is what is holding it, but some aftermarket shocks have a seat that can rotate, so sometimes you can fix it while still on the car. Sometimes soak it with WD40 and over time it can work its way down to where it needs to go. But in your case I think that pretty much isn't going to happen with the fixed upper and lower mounts.

You can turn it if you could compress it while on the car, but it is pretty tight in there to do that. If you are going to do that, you might as well take it out to do that, since it only takes like 10-15 minutes or less to get the whole assembly out.

As far as load, there is quite a bit of preload on your particular rear springs, more than you think. I think it's compressed at least close to 2" if not more.

If the car isn't sitting crooked and it's not making noise, you can leave it, but yeah something like that would drive me crazy and I'd have to fix it "just because"

TM Engineering
Old 05-29-05, 09:37 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

I had my brother-in-law bring his compressor and fixed it earlier today.
I was able to compress the spring on the car just enough to loosen it a little and turn it all the way to fit it correctly. It was pretty challenging to fit the compressor in there, but the spring was preloaded only about 1 inch. That would make the OEM spring with 2 inch plus preload.
I cant believe this sloppy install by SRT. Springs in the front wasn't seated correctly either, but I'm not gonna bother with it. Front ones definitely have to come out to fix, and I don't want to do the alignment again.