Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LTuned combo or Eibach/Bilstein setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-04, 09:58 PM
RefinedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LTuned combo or Eibach/Bilstein setup?

Hey yall,
Don' t want to use and abuse the subject, but I was wondering which one set (aside from cost) has the better ride/handling etc. over stock. I searched the forums and couldn't locate a definite answer. Hope anyone who has either set can provide input.

stank you very much!
-GS4OOpilot-
Old 05-17-04, 10:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Pilot,

This specific topic has been discussed quite extensively. Look for both impressions of setups vs comparison if you can't find that. Here are some sample threads.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=eibach

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=eibach

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ibach+bilstein

In short...

drop about the same. L-tuned maybe a teeny lower
ride improved on both
ride stiffer/more sporty on the eibach/bilstein.
ride softer on the l-tuned

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-17-04 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-17-04, 11:08 PM
RefinedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thanks

Dave,
thanks for the links and info. Any ideas on which users have the Eibach and Ltuned setup? I would prefer a general improvement in the ride quality/roll but not too stiff/sporty, while acheiving a clean low-profile look.

GS4OOpilot
Old 05-18-04, 12:07 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GS4, i sent u a pm...
Old 05-18-04, 03:50 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could PM this to you, but thought, WTH, it may be useful to someone in the future.

if you want pics of it after the Eibach installation, shoot me a PM with a email addy in it, ok? (car is silver on stock 17" and rear spoiler.

-----------------------------------------

Got a minute?

My friend and I started the installation around 4:20pm and ended around 8:45pm.
That includes reading of instructions, taking our time, before and after pictures and a test drive.
We didn’t encounter any real difficulties at all really. It was actually fairly straight-forward, but then again, we’ve both worked on our own cars for many years. Also, there was no need to remove the caliper, as the manual suggests. (we didn’t do it)
We *did* use a quality set of ‘outside-the-spring’ style of spring-compressor, but, we did not use a special tool for the upper A-arm/ball joint separation from the steering knuckle.
Don’t cringe, but a few good whacks with a good hammer did the trick. (California car, no rust)

The initial test drive was only 5 min. or so around the suburb. Plenty of swaying through imaginary cones and a few wide U-turns in both directions going a litter faster than would be usual and a few hard braking moves completed the initial test.
I had no creaks, groans, rubs, thuds or anything like that. Yea! We apparently got everything tightened back up right!

RIDE AND DRIVE REPORT:
For the most part, these Eibach springs perform exactly as I expected they would. That makes me happy. I would have ‘wished’ they were a bit stiffer, but, all in all, I would much rather have the springs be a little too soft than a little too hard!

Straight-line driving in town, or on the interstate is, to me, exactly as stock. I live in Dayton Ohio so our roads are decent, but we have snow and cold winters so the roads are certainly not perfect. It was only when hitting a good sized bump that I could feel more harshness than the stock springs. This type of bump is only felt very infrequently so I have no complaints there at all.

Slalom test: Yeah, I used imaginary cones again, but I thought the car was noticeably more responsive. This could be the lower CG or the progressive-rate springs. Either way, I enjoyed it!

Clover-leaf on-ramp test: I need to do more testing here. I keep getting stuck behind Buicks or finding ramps with construction dirt on them. In my testing so far, I’d have to say that in moderate to slightly aggressive driving, the car does not seem to have as much initial body roll. If you’re being really aggressive, then *Yes*, the car does exhibit the stock-like body roll. (no complaints here, just an initial observation.)

Braking nose-dive: Seems to be very noticeably less! Very happy here as well!

Match of Eibach springs to stock shock/strut dampening leaves a little to be desired if driving aggressively AND over roads with undulations in them. This is my INITIAL experience. I was at about 65-75 through some sweepers that had these undulations that I was UNAWARE of. The car DID NOT like them. It was as if the car was wiggling through that turn! It stuck, but the wiggle was very unsettling. It seemed as if the springs were doing one thing and the shocks were doing another AS I was RACING through the corner. If I had been driving normally, I’m sure it would have behaved perfectly fine.

I paid $239 and I’m happy with what I got for the price. I can see the need here for some anti-sway bar improvements, and with that I’ll probably have the cornering level that I am looking for while still retaining ride quality.

My only complaint, really, is that I think the car should have an extra ¼” drop up front, or at least a ¼” difference between the front and the back. I may still do this at some point.
As measured in these pictures, the top of the wheelwell in front was 26 3/8” and the rear was 26” even. When parked in certain places, it seems very noticeable to me. If you look at other cars in the Gallery or on other sites and video’s, you can see the trend. It almost becomes obvious which cars have adjustable coil-overs. (in my remote judgement)

These pics were taken with a Video Camera so quality is probably not quite up to Dig. Camera specs. My friend has some pics with his Dig. Camera that I hope to post up soon. In the mean time, here are my pics.

PS: On the ride home late that night after a good Frickers hang-out, I was on the Interstate heading home. I'm rolling along around 70-75mph or so in the middle lane with very light traffic and I noticed a dark red, convertible GT Mustang slowly roll up on my left. (his top is up, windows up)
I let him roll by, then I eased into the gas, and before you know it, we're pedal to the metal for "ahem" a really long time. It was really close, almost a dead heat.
We came upon some traffic and slowed down,....and about 30-40 seconds later we were in the open again. We both hit it again but this time I get SERIOUS and close my windows and sunroof to reduce the drag. I put a good 3 or more car lengths on him that time! Good times, Good times.