Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Question about this type of lowering

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-03, 01:11 PM
2g4u2c
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about this type of lowering

Does anyone have any objections to lowering your car with Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks? Just wanted to get info if anyone had any bad experiences before I go ahead with this. Post replies!!!...Lates!
or

Last edited by 2g4u2c; 06-28-03 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-28-03, 01:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I had the Eibach / Bilstein combo on my car until recently, and am a big fan. It's a little stiffer than L-tuned and about the same drop. It is a very firm ride, but IMO not too harsh (subjective opinion of course).

Plenty of pics in the gallery of my car (except most recent) you can look at for the drop. I only switched it out to go to a Bilstein PSS coilover for something even stiffer..

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-28-03 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-05-03, 11:22 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

If ride comfort is a concern, go with the L-tuned. I had the Eibach/Bilstein but replaced it and currently have the L-tuned.

If you want lower ride height. go with the L-tuned.

If you want to autocross the car, Eibach/Bilstein is superior than L-tuned but that is not to say that L-tuned is bad for autocross.

Watch out for my full review of the above suspension here pretty soon as I warm up my L-tuned.
Old 07-05-03, 09:16 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Eibach/Bilstein combo is a very popular choice on the 2nd generation GS platform.

The Eibachs ride nice, and provide a conservative drop. If you are looking for a really noticeable drop, then you might consider some of the other springs and setups available.

The Bilsteins are a little on the stiff side, but overall most people find them very acceptable. Only a couple complaints about the stiffness, but overall most people are pretty happy with them. The L-Tuned are softer riding, but longevity-wise they definitely won't last as long as the Bilsteins. Both are good however.

I think overall most of our customers go with the Eibach/Bilstein.
Old 07-06-03, 06:54 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

waz up todd

question to todd and everyone , how do you think bilsteins would work with the l tuned springs . i remember when i had my 88 bmw 7 series with full ac snitzer suspension with bilstein heavy duty shocks , man that big car was porsche like handling but it rode better than stock
Old 07-06-03, 12:57 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, the L-tuned are rebadged Eibachs, so the above would apply just the same.

As far as Bilsteins overall, they tend to valve their shocks on the stiff side, but on the bigger cars they can get away with this. This is why they are popular with the larger sized MB/BMW crowd...most of those cars are in the 4000+ lbs range. This applies to the Lexus line as well. The damping of the shocks is a little on the stiff side if it was up to me though, they are about as stiff as a shock for a Tahoe or Suburban just to give you an idea.

This is probably the territory where it has become objectionably stiff for some users.

On the smaller cars, it is definitely on the way stiff side, try them on a 3 series BMW and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 07-07-03, 03:54 AM
2g4u2c
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replys all!!!...Looks like its a GO and its the Eibach/Bilstein Set up..i'll post the outcome on a later date...Lates!
Old 07-07-03, 03:42 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

2g4u2c - If you don't mind me asking, what are you trying to do with your car? What specifically about the suspension in its current form don't you like, what you would like to change (and which direction), are you willing to trade off ride comfort for handling (any idea how much), any other changes you have or propose to make (particularly tires), and if the lower is being done primarily for looks (there is absolutely nothing wrong with that just trying to get some more information on your goals). There has been so much posted lately about unacceptable ride harshness with various mods that it sounds like with the GS it is very easy to go too far with lowering springs and low profile (larger wheel diameter) tires, regardless of the shock.
Old 07-09-03, 02:26 PM
etnarp
Driver School Candidate

while many people lower the car for appearance sake, the primary reason for lowering springs , performance shocks and heavy duty swaybars (and other items) is to improve the handling performance of the vehicle. Lexus suspensions are biased towards smooth comfortable ride at the sacrifice of performance. Judicious modding can give a sizable increase in handling without ruining the ride. I installed the L-tuned shocks and springs along with the TRD sways and 18" wheels and was amazed at the improvement in the overall ride. ( thanks to Bobby at Carsons for the excellent help with my purchase) Also for those thinking of doing the install themselves- its not too tough a job just rent spring compressors and be carefull of the wheel sensors
Old 07-10-03, 08:27 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also look at Espelir Springs in Classified, and TM Engineering sells Daizen springs.

Espelir increases handling, lowers car AND keeps stock ride.
Old 07-10-03, 09:34 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

How much does the espelir increase handling since it has the same spring rate as our stock?
Old 07-10-03, 10:57 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

If it keeps the same ride (according to the famed uncalibrated buttometer) as stock and lowers, then it would likely have a very modified rate change in the progression from lower spring rate to higher than the stock. Seems like it would need a lower rate than stock accelerating non linearly (which ain't easy to do with a spring ) to the higher rate. Also seems like if you wade through all the suspension posts, the guys who have lowered and not have anyone eventually complain about ride went to L tuned (obviously totally discounting the guys who are willing to or prefer the stiffer ride). Not saying there aren't people here happy with one or another setup but I don't think I have seen anyone post yet that the L tuned setup gave too harsh a ride but seems like most every other comination has someone who eventually finds it too harsh. Have to also include the fact that no one just lowers, it comes with different shocks, wheels, tires, and more.
Old 07-11-03, 05:03 AM
2g4u2c
Driver School Candidate

Reason being on the drop situation is that I'm getting the springs for a good price and the shocks I know are real reasonable (Favor Bilstein)!!!...Honestly, I havent really rode in too many other GS models that were dropped so i wouldnt know the difference from stock...All the other GS models here in Hawaii that are dropped are done with full coil-over kits (i.e. Tein CS)...I wouldnt mind riding in my friend's car but he's hard to get a hold of right now...I have been hearing from this post that the Bilstiens are kinda on the stiff side but the Eibachs are soft so hopefully with this set up it will come to a medium...This drop, by the way, is mainly for the look!!!...i'm through with modifying for power, because honestly, I learned throughout my experience with race cars that you get what you put into it, but you dont always get what you expect!
My theory for RACING:

1. It costs alot to go fast (i.e. $1k per second off time slip)
2. They break alot from all that power (if not one thing its another; on going process)
3. The road condtions here SUCK!!! (You wanna talk about potholes and debri flying, just name it)

And thats just a few of the things that I can think of...I bought this car for the comfort of owning an Lexus and I love everything about it...All you other owners know what I'm talking about!!!...Its the perfect combination of Power, Comfort and, Reliability rolled into one!!! But anyways, i bought these tires and it looks riddiculous with the lower side wall...Plus the Eibach drop is only like an inch so no real compromise in ride quality...Thanks for the support all!

Alohas,
The G-Child
Old 07-11-03, 05:04 AM
2g4u2c
Driver School Candidate

One more thing i forgot to add to my list:

4. Cops love Racers here!!! (You wanna talk about Raping with tickets...hahaha...Drive an import all modified!!!)
Old 07-11-03, 10:48 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Bilstein Sports for the GS are definitely valved firmer than stock but with stock springs I can't believe they would qualify as harsh to anyone's buttometer. Hard for bilstein to know what springs they are going to be working with so I assume they planned on the stock springs. When combined with the Eibach's, well you will be the first to know. I have a feeling you will be pleased and don't forget, shocks do wear in. When you go from very soft or very worn (or both) shocks to new bilsteins, there is a big change. Take some time with them, or any shock you go to. As time goes on, they do inevitably wear. I may be fortunate but I found out a long time ago that the factory bilstein valving is just about right for my buttometer, saves a lot of experimentation. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Question about this type of lowering