Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Too many separate sub-forums

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-02, 09:03 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too many separate sub-forums

I think the designers of CL made too many forums that causes legitamate questions regarding a model to be moved to a more general forum. For example, there is the Wheels and Tires forums. When people post a question about wheels or tires in regard to a certain model in the forum for that model, it gets moved to the general wheel and tires forum. Then, the people who own that model and might be able to help the person would have to search through the general wheel and tire forum to find the question.

This also happens with questions about headlights. I noticed a person posted about HIDs for the GS300 and this was moved to the general lighting section. Again, the GS members will have to stumble upon this question in the general lighting section.

I don't understand this. I was looking at the forum rules and section 2 talks about posting relevant topics to the relevant sub-forum. The two previous examples (there are many more that I didn't list) were relevant to the particular car but were moved. I just don't understand this.

I've had a post moved when I asked fellow 1st generation GS owners to tell me about the cars they have raced. It was a question and not a story, but it was moved to the Racing Stories section. Pursuant to the forum rules, it was relevant to the 1st Gen GS and was posted in the 1st Gen GS, yet was moved (although the moderator claimed it was not moved, the post said "moved"). https://www.clublexus.com/forums/for...0&pagenumber=4

My point is, there are too many sub-forums and this causes many relevant posts to be moved to a general sub-forum or maybe the moderators are overzealous when it comes to moving posts.

This is just a suggestion, but I've seen people complain about things being moved. Maybe the rules need to be changed because following the rules still gets posts moved. But it is more logical to remove the excessive forums and the forum rules will make more sense.

Let me know what you think because my suggestions would facilitate easy use of this site.
Old 12-19-02, 12:53 AM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What he said. Really I agree with everything you said. Your example on lighting is very relevant. I have seen the same thing on audio questions and other stuff. Sometimes the specific vehicle is more relevant than the actual topic heading depending on the context of the question.
Old 12-19-02, 06:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Default Re: Too many separate sub-forums

Originally posted by 93LexoGS300
Pursuant to the forum rules, it was relevant to the 1st Gen GS and was posted in the 1st Gen GS, yet was moved (although the moderator claimed it was not moved, the post said "moved"). https://www.clublexus.com/forums/for...0&pagenumber=4
93LexoGS300,

Just wanted to address your comment above about moving threads, and then respond with my personal opinion on the subforums question.

1) "The moderator claimed it was not moved" - I assume you're talking about me since I was the one who replied to your post in the link.

The point I was making in my response was that I wasn't the one who originally moved your post. It certainly was moved, but I was just responding to your edit "addition" of text at the top of the thread.

Let me break this down for you in step-by-step detail as I was trying to help you out, but wasn't as clear as I could have been to explain what I did.

a) your thread was moved by someone other than me
b) I read your thread in the racing forum and saw you were getting replies from folks other than 1st Gen GS owners.
c) I edited your thread title from "What cars have you raced? " to "1ST GEN GS: What cars have you raced? "
d) I replied with "93LexoGS300: I didn't move your post... but I did just change the title so that it states who you're looking to respond (1st gen GS owners)" so you knew your thread title had been changed.

Does this make more sense? I was just trying to help you out; there is no conspiracy of folks trying to hide moving threads around . Your post was a racing-related thread and IMO whomever moved it did the right thing in moving it to the correct forum.

2) I personally disagree with your thoughts on the sub-forums for a number of reasons, just a couple of them are below.

ClubLexus is about sharing information. When I'm looking for a car stereo upgrade, I appreciate being able to go to the 'Lexus Electronics' forum and find specific information about car stereo details for my car. I don't have to read through 50 threads that say 'I raced a BMW today!' and 'How do I put in HIDs lights?' to find the specific information I want to browse. I also learn about information from LS, SC, etc owners who are also adding speakers and amps that may be the same as what I want to do.

The 'lighting' forum was created because of all the questions about bulbs, HID upgrades, etc. Many of the questions apply to all Lexus models like "which bulb is best". Some like you say, however, do not. When I move posts into that forum that are specific to a model, I always try to update the thread title similar to what I did for your racing post. I think this helps.

If the thread gets moved the redirect link stays in the original forum... Other subscribers to the same forum can see it and go immediately to read it where it was moved just by clicking on that thread. You pretty well illustrated that point with the link you put in your post above on your own racing thread -->https://www.clublexus.com/forums/for...0&pagenumber=4. Your thread still exists in both the GS 1st Gen and Racing forums, best of both worlds.

I'll close this reply with the comment that there are many threads that are 'gray'.... borderline sub-forum or better in a model forum. I typically leave those where they are and wait for some replies.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-19-02 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-19-02, 10:57 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

DaveGS4,

I'm not mad at you for changing the subject line of one of my posts, in fact, it only could have helped me. I was not refering to you when I was talking about the moderator moving the thread because I don't know who did it.

Back to the subject of this thread, I could picture you going into the stereo sub-forum looking for a speaker that fits your car's back deck. Scroll down, click the "next" button, etc., then you might find something about your car. Post a thread and the few people who own your model car, who know the most about your car, would only be able to respond if they happen to go to the stereo forum. Other people may be able to help you, but of course, those who know your car best and who have actually done the mod on a similar car will be able to help you the best.

That is the same with the Maintance forum. I've seen people ask "how many quarts of oil does my car take?" Then other people will respond and say, "oh my car uses this much..." And others will say, "no, this is how much it takes." Again, only those who know that person's car most would know the answer, so the shouldn't be moved into a general forum.

Just one more. In the Lighting forum, it may seem that the questions about HIDs and other lights appear the same. But, I know that the Lexus models with the projector lights have slightly different concerns because the beam pattern and brightness from the projector affect the performance. Maybe the person might be disappointed with their brand new HID because it is focused in such a narrow pattern and doesn't really light up the road like other HIDs. A person who asks this question in the general lighting forum might not get this additional information.

Maybe the subforums need to be made in the model forum, like the engine and suspension sub-forums. Now, if I am contemplating the purchase of blue interior light bulbs, I can see posts from people with my car who had tried this mod. They can tell me if it is a wedge or what model bulb I need. Now, I won't have to sit there and sift through responses from people with other cars hoping they can give me the right answer.

Don't get me wrong, I am not fumming or anything over moved posts. I think changes like this would make the site more efficient to navigate.
Old 12-19-02, 11:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

No problem... I was really responding to your " original the moderator claimed it was not moved" comment that seemingly was related to my reply... I was only trying to help!

Counterpoints to your post above:

Members need to do a better job of identifying the model if it's important to their post. That alone will help solve the problem you mention in the sub-forums greatly. Instead of "Need new speakers" use "Need new speakers for 1st Gen GS". I still think there is going to be more in common than different for just about anything we have as a separate forum today.

Also, there are moderators focused on sub-forums who have volunteer their time and offer a great depth of expertise. We can't expect them to surf each individual sub-forum looking for things to help out with. Your quarts of oil example, for example... DevilDog, Sooner and VVT-I are all certified Lexus Technicians. Who better to answer that question? I know I'd rather have them respond than some Joe that may not even own a Lexus. Every day I crank up my stereo, I'm glad I got Percy and Mean Gene's advice on upgrades.

One exception to this is the Lighting forum... we haven't found the right guru to look over that one yet. IMO too many sub-forums under the models make it very cluttered to view & readability really suffers.

Thanks for the reply - just not personally convinced (not that I'd make the decision)
Old 12-20-02, 03:19 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Well, since I am the only one making this suggestion and the responses have been scarce, the problem I wrote about must not be much of a concern. Oh well. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."