GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 Valve Cover Gasket Leading to Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 04:37 PM
Retlooski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS430 Valve Cover Gasket Leading to Misfire

Hey guys,

New to the site, did some digging on some existing threads and only found info on IS300 and GS300. Kinda new to the auto DIY as well but the engine layouts don't match lol.. anyone have any guides? or pictures? My lexus has about 230k miles into it and recently has started misfiring in cylinder 7 (my own OEM reading). Took it to the lexus dealership and found out that my valve cover is leaking oil into the cylinder and shorting the plug and coil. Plan on replacing both cover gaskets and was wondering if anyone has a guide or hindsight they learned from doing it before? Anything else i should purchase, parts wise, that i should replace while I'm at it (already replaced all plugs and coils)?

Brandon

Last edited by Retlooski; 09-27-16 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-28-16, 12:06 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

I recently tightened up my valve cover bolts and I think the leaking has stopped. Just make sure you don't over tighten and squish the gasket. Reasonably snug should be ok. The misfiring is probably the spark plug tube seal which pretty much requires removal of the valve covers. Removal of the covers is not that big a deal and pretty intuitive if your are reasonably mechanically inclined. Replacement of the tube seals is a bit more challenging and may be better left to someone more qualified if you haven't done a lot of work on cars before. There is a few youtube videos on the web for similar arrangements in other cars.
Old 09-28-16, 11:24 PM
STREETGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Retlooski
Hey guys,

New to the site, did some digging on some existing threads and only found info on IS300 and GS300. Kinda new to the auto DIY as well but the engine layouts don't match lol.. anyone have any guides? or pictures? My lexus has about 230k miles into it and recently has started misfiring in cylinder 7 (my own OEM reading). Took it to the lexus dealership and found out that my valve cover is leaking oil into the cylinder and shorting the plug and coil. Plan on replacing both cover gaskets and was wondering if anyone has a guide or hindsight they learned from doing it before? Anything else i should purchase, parts wise, that i should replace while I'm at it (already replaced all plugs and coils)?

Brandon
I'm actually working on that right now
My car began shaking and check engine light came on
I got 3 misfires codes....
I already knew my valve covers where leaking but never thought much of it....
other than the gaskets u can clean the throttle body, replace the pcv valves, I think that's all
Old 09-25-18, 03:32 PM
LVbeme
Driver School Candidate

Red face GS 430 Valve cover gasket replacement

Hey everyone,
I,m new to the Lexus family by way of a friend who sold me her 01 GS 430 because she purchase a 18' . There are a few minor problems with the car like I saw a small drop of oil in my driveway. I checked under the hood and it looks like I have a valve cover gasket leak on the drivers side. What I was wondering is if there are any sticky sin the forum that can help with DIY tips. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I don't think it is going to be that hard, just want to make sure I'm doing it right! Thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-18, 09:38 AM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I recently did mine. Oil kept fouling my plugs. Easy to remove once you remove the plugs, coil and disconnect a few hoses out of your way. Your spark plug ring gasket are probably fouled and allowing oil to leak on the plugs and foul them up & get burn off. Like 10 10mm screws on each side. I had everything done in about 2 & 1/2hrs
​​​​​​​
Old 05-26-20, 11:56 PM
Arcdef
Driver School Candidate

Would you think this could cause the car not to start? Mine began with a misfire then refused to start at all. Removed the coils and all had slight oil pools in the wells. It has since started again but curious why it stopped running all together.

Thanks
Old 06-11-20, 06:40 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 175 Posts

This is a good project to tackle if you don’t have a lot of experience working on cars. It’s not to difficult, the parts aren’t very expensive. And the valve cover gaskets in these vehicles seem to need start leaking again every few years. So it’s nice to be able to tackle the work yourself without having to pay a shop every time they need replacing again. I have had to replace mine 3 times over the last 10 years.
There is a YouTube video that walks u through doing the replacement, it’s not the valve cover gasket that is actually causing your problems, but spark plug tubes seals. Pay attention to which direction the seals go in, and take your time bending the tabs up, that hold them in place. Then be careful when reinstalling it onto the tubes, make sure to use some type of lubricant on them. So they slide on smoothly. If your not careful u can tear the new seal and have the same problem. Also make sure to torque the valve cover bolts to the correct lb/ft. If you over tighten it, you’ll tear the grommet on the bolt. If it’s not tight enough it will quickly work itself loose and you’ll be leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold.
It’s also a great time to inspect things like the vacuum hoses, clean the throttle body, and replace the PCV valve while you have good access to everything.