RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anybody who changed the key chip only?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-16, 08:48 AM
zyumin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody who changed the key chip only?

I bought a backup key off ebay for my RX400H and bad it cut and programmed in a locksmith. Now it works on ignition but without remote door open. I tried the Tech Stream software to register the key with remote door open function,but failed. I assume the chip is bad. Should I buy another key chip and program it to solve the issue?
Old 09-10-16, 09:59 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

I'm pretty sure the chip in the key has nothing to do with the remote door opening. When you press a button on the key to lock/unlock the door, it sends a radio frequency signal to the car. This takes a separate programming process for the car to recognize the radio signal.

You did buy a key with the remote built into it?
Old 09-10-16, 10:13 AM
zyumin
Driver School Candidate

Default fake bottons?

Yes, the key I bought is with 3 buttons, lock, unlock and pwr door. When I pressed lock/panic or unlock, the light flashed. But no response from the car. Is the key with fake buttons?
Old 09-10-16, 10:29 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

I have no way of knowing if the buttons are fake. But like I said, the remote buttons have to be programmed to the car, a separate process from programming the chip to start the car.

here is a link for programming the remote.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ut-dealer.html

this is post # 13 -

Programming Procedure #21485

1. Drivers door open, all other doors closed, key removed from ignition switch.
2. Within 5 seconds insert and remove the key from the ignition switch twice.
3. Within 40 seconds close and open driver's door twice.
4. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch.
5. Within 40 seconds close and open driver's door twice.
6. Insert the key into the ignition switch and close the driver's door.
7. Switch ignition on and off,
a) Once to program a remote transmitter code while retaining the original codes.
b) Twice to program a remote transmitter code while erasing the original codes.
c) Three times to check how many remote transmitters are currently registered.
d) Five times to erase all registered codes.
8. Remove key from ignition switch.
9. System should now lock and unlock vehicle. Once, twice or five times depending which mode has been selected. One to four times, slowly, to indicate number of remote transmitters registered.
10. Within 40 seconds press and hold lock and unlock key remote transmitter buttons, together, for 1.5 seconds.
11. Within 3 seconds press any key remote transmitter button.
12. System should now lock and unlock vehicle. Once to confirm registration, or twice to indicate registration has failed.
13. Within 40 seconds repeat steps 11 and 12 to program remaining remote transmitters.

***** To exit programming mode: Open driver's door or insert ignition key.
***** A maximum of 4 key remote transmitters can be programmed.

other people in the same thread say it doesn't work, post 15, but I think there is confusion between the key fob remote and the RF chip part.
Old 09-10-16, 10:46 AM
zyumin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Dennis.I did the open-close door method several times but no result. You're right, there're 2 parts of programming, seperate. The core is how to program the remote. I even used Tech Stream with OBD2 cable, but failed. That's why I doubt the key chip, not immobilizer chip. I mean the remote chip.
Old 09-10-16, 04:37 PM
Bytheway
Driver School Candidate

I purchased a used OEM key fob with uncut key for my 2007 RX350. With Techstream, I had no problem (actually that's a lie, I had to redo the procedure many times because there is a time limit to each step). What I found was that the maximum registered remotes had been reached. After I unregistered all previous remotes, I was able to register my ebay purchased remote.
If the red light on your fob turns on when you press the buttons, the fob should be OK. I would check with Techstream to see that there are Registration spaces available.
Good luck
Old 09-10-16, 10:20 PM
zyumin
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks. I made it.

Originally Posted by Bytheway
I purchased a used OEM key fob with uncut key for my 2007 RX350. With Techstream, I had no problem (actually that's a lie, I had to redo the procedure many times because there is a time limit to each step). What I found was that the maximum registered remotes had been reached. After I unregistered all previous remotes, I was able to register my ebay purchased remote.
If the red light on your fob turns on when you press the buttons, the fob should be OK. I would check with Techstream to see that there are Registration spaces available.
Good luck
Thank you, Bytheway. I used Techstream as you mentioned, pressed the lock unlock buttons when the light on fob was on. It was the crucial step! Then, beep! Done. I didn't notice if the light was on in previous tries. Too silly.
Note: use the master key to ignite the car and leave it there, then program the backup key in hand. Don't insert the backup key to the ignition.
Old 09-11-16, 05:08 AM
pvvdds
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacement Key

That was an interesting exchange and made me think about a key I have from my former RX300. Can that key be chip be placed into an uncut key, recut for my RX 330, and be reprogramed for the '04 RX330? Just a thought as I have misplaced other key for about 2 years.
Old 09-26-16, 05:07 PM
OShirley
Driver School Candidate

Default Remote Programming vs Programming the Transpoonder Chip

I also purchased some replacement keys on eBay...and have learned a LOT.

Programming the REMOTE part of the key worked like a charm. However, I was never able to program the Transponder Chip. The locksmith tested my Master key and stated it has the T29 chip, and the eBay guy sold me keys with Transponder Chip T30. Seller advertises their key HYQ12BBT is compatible, but it is not.

Why? Check out the following

LEXUS RX 330 2004-2006 Transponder Texas Crypto 4D ID 4D68 JMA : TPX2, TP29.
Again, my 2004 RX330 Master key has the TP29 chip...the key sold by the eBayer has the TP30 chip and is strictly for "Toyota" vehicles.

http://www.transpondery.com/transpon...r_catalog.html
http://www.transpondery.com/transpon..._catalog.htmlI

I even located the T29 wedge transponder chip online ($8.99 + s/h) and thought I could replace the T30, but the "generic" module I bought is not made to allow even the battery replacement without breaking the internal housing module itself. <heavy sigh>

LOL eBay seller said he'd refund my $17.99 if I ship the (now cut) key back. Yeah, after I spent $43 to have it cut and told it's the wrong chip. Now have a remote key "fob" with a key that can open the doors, etc., which I guess is better than nothing if you happen to lock your keys inside..

FYI: Below are the instructions I used to successfully program the REMOTE capabilities of the key. Worked the first time and I was so surprised I almost didn't believe it. LOL

1. BEFORE inserting your Master Key (MK) into the ignition, open and UNLOCK the DRIVER's side door (make sure all others door and back are closed).
2. OPEN & UNLOCK the DRIVER's side door.
3. Within 5 seconds INSERT the MK into the ignition and remove it TWICE.
4. CLOSE then OPEN the DRIVER's side TWICE. Leave the door open.5. Insert the MK into the ignition then REMOVE IT.6. CLOSE then OPEN the DRIVER's side TWICE.
7. INSERT the MK INTO the ignition and LEAVE IT in the ignition.
8. CLOSE the DRIVER's side door.
9. SWITCH the ignition to ON then OFF.
10. REMOVE MK from the ignition.
11. The door locks will now cycle to confirm the vehicle has entere programming mode.
12. On the first remote being programmed, PUSH and HOLD the LOCK and UNLOCK button for 1.5 seconds. Let go and immediately PUSH the LOCK button and hold for 2 seconds.
13. The door locks will cycle confirming successful programming. If there are additional MKs to program, repeat those steps 12 thru 14.
14. OPEN the DRIVER's side door and programming is complete.
Old 09-28-16, 12:35 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

check FCC ID (back of the key)....