GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-05, 02:29 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by knowtoe04
The other thing I forgot to mention is that I explained to him that it happens when I am cruising at about 35 and I just barely release my foot off the pedal. That is when it happens the most. His comment was "well you are taking your foot off the gas, somewhat". I said ya but something should be there every time I hit the pedal and in this case it's not. It's like stepping in mud.
Sounds like you're doing an admirable job trying to get your car fixed. You may want to emphasize to the tech that you shouldn't experience *engine braking*--almost like a downshift--when slightly releasing the gas pedal. And like you said, it shouldn't feel like mud when you step on it again.

Anyway, I'll be bringing my car to Sewell Lexus in Dallas next week for the same issue. I've only taken my car there for service once in the year that I've owned it because I normally change my own oil. The time that I went I met with a service "agent" who wrote up the work order. I never spoke with a live mechanic. Is this normal, or do I have to request to meet the mechanic? Wish me luck, and I'll keep you posted.

JB
Old 06-02-05, 10:24 PM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Well round 2 is not going that well. After another ride along and the tech faxing down the original data (the data that told him the MAF was bad0 they say they can't do anything for me. After a 15 minute heated discussion with some new service advisor (this guy didn't know crap) I asked for the service mananger. We started to talk and I explained to him that (a) I have nothing to gain from this. if the part is not in warranty I will pay for it I just want it fixed. And (b) they need to think outside of the box a little. To just drive it now after the first go-round and say that it doesn't do it is not sufficient.

Long story short, I am going in for another drive first thing tomorrow morning and I asked for a tech, cold car and the computer plugged in from the get go. If it doesn't do it then I guess I will have to be on my way and try to take this up with Lexus NA but that may be tough.

Finally, he asked when this started and said about 45 days ago. He asked if I had done anything at that time and the only thing I have done is put 2 new tires on it. I asked what do tires have to do with anything and he said that he has seen stranger things but that every wheel has a speed sensor and you just never know.

I did have a voltage problem that a new battery fixed so you just never know. At least he was trying which is more than the service advisor was doing. I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow.
Old 06-03-05, 05:15 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you should ask for a "master diagnostic tech" to ride with you. many techs are dip sh#ts, but they always have a few that are good and have special training.
Old 06-07-05, 03:25 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

I brought my car to the dealer yesterday for the sluggish throttle issues discussed in this thread, and the car didn't cooperate. The car had been acting up since April (see a previous post early on the thread for more details). Just this Sunday I drove it for 6 hours at highway speeds, and the crappy throttle was at its worst. So Monday morning I drove it straight to the dealer. But the darned thing drove *flawlessly* that morning. I couldn't believe it.

The assistant service manager (let's call him Tim) who attended me was very nice. I explained the symptoms and stressed that the car drove flawlessly that morning—the first time in two months. Tim decided to keep the car for diagnostics anyway. To make a long story short, the tech even took the car home that evening to test it after a cold start up, and nothing. They couldn't experience the symptoms, and as expected, the data was fine. Altogether, the dealer drove the car nearly 100 miles, and it drove perfectly (and it still does) all the time.

Tim also explained that he had seen MAF's go bad without triggering any error codes. He had never seen, however, a TPS go bad without codes. Understandably, he didn't want to start replacing parts if he couldn't even experience the symptoms. We agreed that I'd immediately take the car to him next time it acts up.

I'm frustrated that the car decided to behave *now*, but I'm happy that it's fun to drive again. Since the car is under CPO warranty, there was no charge for the diagnostics and troubleshooting. Hats off to the folks at the dealership. One hundred miles means that they drove the car for at least two hours trying to find the problem. So, wish me luck next time—if there's a next time.

JB

PS: "Assistant service manager". Is that the same as a "service advisor"?
Old 06-13-05, 02:18 PM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

Well, I've been driving the car for about 10 days now and the "problem" is still there but not as much. So, at this point I really have 2 options:
1. Drive it as it is and convince myself that the car is supposed to be like that. I'm pretty hyper-sensitive when it comes to my cars.
2. Replace the other 2 pieces (TPS and throttle body) on my own and hope that it fixes it totally.

If anyone has any other tips I would appreciate them. Thanks to everyone for their input up to this point. I've pretty much run out of energy and patience when dealing with the local Lexus dealer.
Old 06-13-05, 02:21 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

knowtoe04-do you have any other dealers to try? maybe you could also contact Lexus corporate.
Old 06-14-05, 02:04 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Well, I've been driving the car for about 10 days now and the "problem" is still there but not as much. So, at this point I really have 2 options:
1. Drive it as it is and convince myself that the car is supposed to be like that. I'm pretty hyper-sensitive when it comes to my cars.
2. Replace the other 2 pieces (TPS and throttle body) on my own and hope that it fixes it totally.

If anyone has any other tips I would appreciate them. Thanks to everyone for their input up to this point. I've pretty much run out of energy and patience when dealing with the local Lexus dealer.
Or you can also sell it and get something else, which is what I'll do if the dealer can't fix mine. (And by the way, the car's acting up again.) It's unpleasant and absurd to drive a car that slows down when you want to go fast, and that reacts erratically when you give it gas.

JB
Old 06-17-05, 02:45 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Default Important Update

The dealer may have fixed my car. Shortly after my updates above, Tim the assistant service manager called and asked me to return the car as soon as I could. (He didn't know that the symptoms had resurfaced.) He explained that one of his techs wanted to replace the "accelerator pedal assembly". The tech had apparently repaired two other cars with similar symptoms. Anyway, the car was acting up when I took it in, and it's driving fine now with the new part. The invoice says that they replaced the "APP Sensor", and the part listed is a "PEDAL ASSY, ACCELERATOR". The part number appears to be 78010-30030. Lastly, they were never able to pull out any error codes.

Wish me luck. I'm hoping that this is it.

JB
Old 06-18-05, 05:38 PM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

Jellybean,
Please keep me posted on this. Mine is doing better but not a 100%. I'd love for this be the problem so I can 1. get the darn thing fixed and 2. look at that cocky service advisor and tell him he doesn't know how to troubleshoot jack.

I'll be checking during the week so let me know how it goes. Thanks.
Old 06-19-05, 05:05 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys:

I am experiencing the same exact problem with the no pedal response, car shutting off issue that you all are.

my check engine light and VSC On/Off lights have also come on. Went to dealer who said the problem "is an open circuit in the pedal position sensor" and that it must be replaced.

Does it seem that this is the piece that Jellybean has had replaced?

Please respond quickly. Thanks much.

Ted
Old 06-19-05, 06:37 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Ted920

See my reply in your thread. Looks like the "APP Sensor" I referred to above stands for "Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor".

Another Update:

Car's still running fine. Went to Austin this weekend (six hours roundtrip) and the car behaved perfectly. Maybe even better than perfect. It may be my imagination, but throttle control was almost telepathic. I'm still, however, keeping my fingers crossed.

For now, unless I post back in this thread, assume that the problem has been fixed. And don't hesitate to PM me if you need further information. Thanks to all.

JB
Old 06-19-05, 07:52 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

or leaky injectors could be the cause as the case with my recent 1999 Solara
Old 06-19-05, 09:05 PM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

Jellybean,
Forgot to ask a couple of questions last time:

1. Was this part covered under any warranty? If not how much was it?
2. What is the name of the dealer you went to?
3. Do you have the service managers name? It might come down to me having my service manager call the one that helped you.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-05, 08:41 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Jellybean,
Forgot to ask a couple of questions last time:

1. Was this part covered under any warranty? If not how much was it?
2. What is the name of the dealer you went to?
3. Do you have the service managers name? It might come down to me having my service manager call the one that helped you.

Thanks.
1. No cost to me because the car's under CPO warranty. Invoice says $360, however.
2. Sewell Lexus in Dallas.
3. Yes, but I'd like to email it to you. It looks like you can't receive PMs yet.

JB
Old 06-20-05, 04:20 PM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

Jellybean,
I turned PM's on so please send the name over.

How is the car doing?

Quick Reply: GS430 cutting out