2008 Pebble Beach?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 09:39 AM
chreesto
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Have you seen this one?

Rick,
I'm in love with this one and have been mulling it over for a week. The only drawback is that it is in Canada. It was originally a US vehicle though, so I'm not sure how hard it would be to import it. I haven't gotten/checked the VIN, mostly because I don't want to be tempted further. It has around 15K miles and is around 32K USD after the conversion.

http://www.companyofcars.com/used/Le...112b9219ae.htm
Old 04-07-16, 01:20 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by chreesto
Rick,
I'm in love with this one and have been mulling it over for a week. The only drawback is that it is in Canada. It was originally a US vehicle though, so I'm not sure how hard it would be to import it. I haven't gotten/checked the VIN, mostly because I don't want to be tempted further. It has around 15K miles and is around 32K USD after the conversion.

http://www.companyofcars.com/used/Le...112b9219ae.htm
Nice looking car! I'm a bit intimidated by the import issues, but it does seem like a pretty sweet deal for $32K. You should check it out!
Old 04-09-16, 07:44 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by riknchar
Thanks so much, MrMark! I may go another route, so I'd hate to have you go way out of your way, but if it's no problem, I'd definitely appreciate someone who I can trust giving it a good once-over. Rick
MrMark: I'm still interested in the 2008 Pebble Beach at Cherry Hill Lexus. Do you think you'll have time to go give it a good look this weekend? I'm especially concerned with the suspension, given the rough Jersey roads and salt in the winter. I'm also curious about the curb rash on the wheels (that the sales manager denies). Perhaps the wheels were repaired after the photos were taken?

Thanks for any thoughts you can offer if you have time to take a look!
Old 04-11-16, 05:11 AM
sippy2
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I just joined the forum and am in the tire kicking stages of looking. I ran across this car in KC. Seems like it may be close to what you are looking for. I haven't seen it yet...maybe today. It seems like a good deal...although not sure if there is a story to go with it.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1981/overview/
Old 04-11-16, 06:23 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by sippy2
I just joined the forum and am in the tire kicking stages of looking. I ran across this car in KC. Seems like it may be close to what you are looking for. I haven't seen it yet...maybe today. It seems like a good deal...although not sure if there is a story to go with it.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1981/overview/
Sippy: I actually drove down to Kansas City to look at that one, because it did look fairly nice in the photos, and the price was really low. Unfortunately, I was unhappy with the overall condition of the car (stained interior, aftermarket wheels and exhaust tips, aftermarket stereo head unit that I didn't care for, etc.). The paint on the driver's door looked pretty suspicious too (lots of orange peel look, which I've never seen before on an unrestored SC430).

I'm now leaning towards this 2006 version in Ok City: http://www.legacyautookc.com/2006-Le...1/Details.aspx. It's a 1-owner with a good Lexus history and only 18K miles. The Chardonnay Pearl color is starting to grow on me...
Old 04-11-16, 07:49 PM
sippy2
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's another one in Witchita.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0299/overview/
Old 04-12-16, 05:58 PM
Slingshot1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

The OKC car looks great without the front license plate!
Old 04-13-16, 06:02 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Slingshot1
The OKC car looks great without the front license plate!
I agree! Here's a photo the seller sent to me of the front end. Looks pretty clean! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to add a front license plate to comply with Nebraska law

I've officially decided to go for this car, and am working with my local Lexus dealer to bring the car to Omaha. I've worked a deal with the Lexus guys here to purchase the car and re-sell it to me to enable me to trade in my 2002 SC430 (and thus, avoid some sales tax). The car should be heading my way later this week, and I'm hoping to "close" on it by Saturday (or early next week at the latest). Price was $25,500 (pretty steep for a 2006, I know), but the car only has 18K 1-owner miles. The wife drove the car from 2006-2009 (she passed away), and the husband drove the car sporadically between 2009 and 2015, when he passed away at the age of 93. He was a prominent attorney in Ok City. The car looks showroom fresh. It is dead stock, with the addition of the spare tire kit in the trunk. Unfortunately, the owner had just put new high-end Bridgestone Run-Flat tires on the car in 2014 (300 miles ago) -- I really don't care much for the run-flats!

The Chardonnay Pearl color was not my first choice, but the more I look at this car, the more I enjoy the uniqueness of the color. Any other Chardonnay Pearl owners out there?

Old 04-13-16, 06:03 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by sippy2
Thanks Sippy! I saw that one the other day, but I really am not a fan of the blood-red interior. Thanks!
Old 04-13-16, 06:26 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

The new run flats are not as bad as the old ones . They have gotten smoother. That's not to say they feel like a non runflat. I'm just Saying it's probably not as bad as you're expecting it to be.
Old 04-13-16, 08:43 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Coleroad
The new run flats are not as bad as the old ones . They have gotten smoother. That's not to say they feel like a non runflat. I'm just Saying it's probably not as bad as you're expecting it to be.
I'll give the Bridgestone Run-Flats a chance. My dilemma is that I just bought brand new G-Spider Rims and had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s (non-runflats) mounted on my 2002 SC. Since I decided to trade the 2002 in (and since the dealer I'm trading in to doesn't know/car about the G-spiders and Michelins), I put the old (Pie Plate) wheels and tires (10-year old no-name tires with plenty of tread left) back on the 2002 for the trade in, with the idea that I'd put my nice new wheels/tires on the 2006.

The original owner of the 2006 had stock chromed wheels installed, with the darker colored spokes. I'm not a big fan of chrome wheels, but I do think this setup looks pretty sharp on the Chardonnay Pearl color of the car. I've seen chromed spokes, with matte-colored wheels, but never the other way around. Not sure how the G-Spiders would look on this car, so I may just stick with the Run-Flats plus Chrome wheels and sell my new G-Spiders and Michelin tires (anyone looking to buy this setup?).

Old 04-13-16, 10:54 AM
GXtoGStoLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks great, Rick! Glad you found a great car to replace your 2002. It sure does look impeccable from the pics you've posted here. I was looking at SC430s on cars.com the other day, and there really are fewer and fewer with this low of miles available in the US, so you scored! Plus I'm pretty sure those 80-something people drove it very gently and it will be yours to break in.
Old 04-13-16, 11:22 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by GXtoGStoLS
That looks great, Rick! Glad you found a great car to replace your 2002. It sure does look impeccable from the pics you've posted here. I was looking at SC430s on cars.com the other day, and there really are fewer and fewer with this low of miles available in the US, so you scored! Plus I'm pretty sure those 80-something people drove it very gently and it will be yours to break in.
Thanks! It did take a while to find just the right car with the right miles/history at the right price. I haven't seen this car in person yet (made a "leap of faith" and bought via the internet), so we'll see how it looks in person, but it did have a great "story" and sure appears to have been a garage queen for many years.

I traded in my '09 Pebble Beach last year with only 16K miles and almost immediately regretted it. I am convinced that this particular model has "gotten into my blood" and can't see myself ever being without one. They are still fairly plentiful on AutoTrader (over 600 currently for sale), but the truly immaculate very low mileage cars tend to be priced sky high (but don't seem to linger long anyway). I hope to make this "new" '06 car my "forever car..." I only put 3-4K miles per year on the SC, so it should last pretty much the rest of my life with good maintenance attention. I have a 2008 Lexus LS600 as my go-to car when it's cold (but dry) and a Ram 1500 4WD truck as my go-to when it's snowy or sloppy on the roads. I'm pretty spoiled!
Old 04-13-16, 12:10 PM
GXtoGStoLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you are spoiled! I've always related to your story here as back when I bought my LS, you were buying your LS600, plus you're from Nebraska, where I lived for 14 years of my adult life. I guess we are similarly spoiled as we have the big car, the convertible, and a truck at our disposal, too. Only we don't have any snowy roads to worry about, but grapefruit-sized hail is always a possibility (happened about 10 miles from me the other night)!

I have to agree with you on the SC. Every time I walk out into the garage, I smile just looking at it. I don't think it will ever leave here, either, though I would love to get my hands on a 2010 with very low miles if the price ever comes down.
Old 04-13-16, 02:06 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by GXtoGStoLS
Yes, you are spoiled! I've always related to your story here as back when I bought my LS, you were buying your LS600, plus you're from Nebraska, where I lived for 14 years of my adult life. I guess we are similarly spoiled as we have the big car, the convertible, and a truck at our disposal, too. Only we don't have any snowy roads to worry about, but grapefruit-sized hail is always a possibility (happened about 10 miles from me the other night)!

I have to agree with you on the SC. Every time I walk out into the garage, I smile just looking at it. I don't think it will ever leave here, either, though I would love to get my hands on a 2010 with very low miles if the price ever comes down.
I considered going "all-in" and looking for a very low mileage 2010 model, but the price would have been pretty ugly (maybe around $38-42K?). There really weren't that many 2010s produced (maybe 300 or so), so finding a low-mileage "unicorn" like that may be pretty tough.

All of the upgrades I was after are present in the 2006 model (6-speed transmission, brighter dash, adaptive front lighting, etc.), so it made the most sense (price-wise) to go for a super-low mileage 2006. Hopefully, the car will live up to my expectations!