SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 06:50 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Homelink

Alright, I think it is time to make some usefulness out of the homelink system. In case you are new to the SC430, this is the three buttons on your map light for opening your garage door or gate.

I am a poor schlob, so I don't have a gate. And my garage is a single stall used for my wood-working and messier projects (ie. no room for my car) so I am thinking about others ways to use this.

I was able to program it to shut off my basement workshop lighting since I always seem to forget to shut it off and notice it when I am getting ready to leave for work. This is using just a cheap GE remote outlet kit.

Homelink supposedly can also work with the X10 system through the remotes, but you can program in only one code. With the Home Automation software on a computer in the house, you could program that one button to run a macro such as shutting down all your house lights, changing thermostat, etc... If you have a set up like that in your house (I have it but have been too busy (ok, lazy) to get it all installed.)

Asking for ideas and opinions is rarely fruitful here (jab...) but I would like to open a discussion about this if there is interest. What are you using yours for and what are some ideas for using it?

Last edited by Retroplay; 11-20-15 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-20-15, 01:54 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I too used my third button to control lights (the other two are for my garage and my shed doors). Chamberlain markets a remote switch for lights that operates off of their remote controls.
Old 11-20-15, 02:11 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
Asking for ideas and opinions is rarely fruitful here (jab...) but I would like to open a discussion about this if there is interest. What are you using yours for and what are some ideas for using it?
Aw, not fair! Usually you have it already covered and there's nothing to add!
Old 11-20-15, 03:28 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Aw, not fair! Usually you have it already covered and there's nothing to add!
Haha. It was just a friendly jab.
Old 11-20-15, 03:38 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Harold57
I too used my third button to control lights (the other two are for my garage and my shed doors). Chamberlain markets a remote switch for lights that operates off of their remote controls.
It appears to work with both code-hopping remotes like the garage door openers, X10, and run-of-the-mill 430mhz remote products you can pick up at the hardware store.
Old 11-20-15, 08:12 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I have a shared underground garage and the stupid Homelink will not work with the commercial garage door motor, unfortunately. I tried about a dozen times and it never worked. Too bad. But I do own a Chamberlin Garage Remote Outlet as described above. When I lived in KC, during the cold snowy winter time, I had one button programmed for my carport garage motor, and another programmed to the Chamberlin outlet to turn on my electric blanket so the bed would be nice and toasty by the time I would get upstairs. I also used another button and remote outlet with some fancy European art deco lights in my younger bachelor days when I'd have female companions over. Haha... don't tell my wife. I still have the lights in our bedroom... haha.
Old 11-20-15, 08:18 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I also used another button and remote outlet with some fancy European art deco lights in my younger bachelor days when I'd have female companions over. Haha... don't tell my wife. I still have the lights in our bedroom... haha.
Giggity giggity

Last edited by Retroplay; 11-21-15 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Removed the video. Not very PC. lol
Old 11-21-15, 11:53 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

I have only one garage door and three*home link buttons. I can't find any good thing to do with them, so I programed all three buttons for the same garage. Now I don't have to worry which button to push.
Old 11-21-15, 01:31 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GmanSC
I can't find any good thing to do with them..

That's pretty much why I was asking around for creative uses for it. I am debating whether to remove it from my modded map light and use the space for something else like a bluetooth hands-free kit with display.
Old 11-24-15, 12:20 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

You could use a non-used button to generate a one-time button push to open or close the top.

Then you could use the other button to raise or lower the rear windows.
Old 11-24-15, 12:53 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Harold57
You could use a non-used button to generate a one-time button push to open or close the top.

Then you could use the other button to raise or lower the rear windows.
This is a great idea. Especially the "quarter window mod," idea. It's been discussed here so many times. Retro, if you search for "Quarter Window Mod," you will find some great info.... AND i'm sure you will come up with an awesome way to upgrade said modification, if your track record holds true. I would be willing to take on the quarter window mod if it were simplified. As it stands in that thread, it's WAAAAAAAAY over my head and strikes fear into my heart.
Old 11-24-15, 12:56 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

This is a great idea. Especially the "quarter window mod," idea. It's been discussed here so many times. Retro, if you search for "Quarter Window Mod," you will find some great info.... AND i'm sure you will come up with an awesome way to upgrade said modification, if your track record holds true. I would be willing to take on the quarter window mod if it were simplified. As it stands in that thread, it's WAAAAAAAAY over my head and strikes fear into my heart.
...lol.....Shawn if you get any of this figured out, I'm driving to Chicago so you can do mine
Old 11-24-15, 01:00 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Haha, i think Retro is the man to take on this monumental task! I'm just a tag-a-long! I will follow suite after someone with experience tests all possible sequelae.
Old 11-24-15, 01:23 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Haha, i think Retro is the man to take on this monumental task! I'm just a tag-a-long! I will follow suite after someone with experience tests all possible sequelae.
It looks simple enough from the instructions here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...w-mod-diy.html

But instead of relays, you could use a roll up/down module:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Impulse-Dual...oxa-Sg&vxp=mtr

Not much more than the relays, sockets, wiring....

The easiest way to make the homelink buttons do it would be a remote RF unit like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-DC12V-...-/301694951627

and just program the homelink to match the remote.

The roll up/down module will handle the toggle between up and down. The one I linked to would do both windows at the same time, but you buy two and do them individually.
Old 11-25-15, 03:07 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

The remote RF and roll up/down modules are pretty cool. Good find Retroplay.

Shawn, it looks like you could use the remote RF relay device to control your garage door opener. Just connect it in parallel with the manual door switch inside the garage. (Of course, you'd also have to create a power source for it.) Just make sure that it can do a momentary actuation (I didn't check on that).